Is traffic from Google search engines outside the US as valuable?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

Generally it seems to be agreed that it's important to get traffic straight from the Google search engine. What I'm wondering is if it is equally as valuable to get traffic from Google UK or Google Canada, etc. Does it have the same effect on gaining more traffic, indexing, SERPs, etc.? Or anything else you can think of that makes it more or less as valuable as traffic from Google?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All Google traffic is good no matter which country's Google search is used.  It's all Google.  There will be a difference in click-through rates on ads because some countries have populations with lower disposable income to actually buy things from your Hubs, but all Hubs will show AdSense ads directed toward users that can be country specific and when someone clicks on one of those ads you get paid whether or not they actually buy something.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Traffic from outside North America is worthless if your main income is from Amazon or Ebay.

I live in Thailand and so see ads mainly in Thai- very low value. Same story for India, the Philippines etc.

Essentially, traffic from outside North America is not worth much.

1. electronician profile image78
          electronicianposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's a big generalization. There are plenty of places where people have an income comparable to America, such as Europe for example. OK so that's not much good for Amazon and eBay, as you say, but for adsense and hubpages ads this traffic is worth just as much. Some countries have a higher per capita income that the US, so traffic from there is likely to be more valuable.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Okay, Will - I just read the fine print in your post. Thailand.  I want to know more about how you found a pace to live  the cost of living, do you like it?  I looked for info among your hubs & didn't spot any titles, bit I could have missed them. Do you have any US$$$ comparisons?  I'm fascinated!

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
            Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm interested too. You've already got 2 people interested in reading it without even having it written.

2. Will Apse profile image89

That is such a big subject and there is no money in writing an article about it! Which is why I haven't.

Anyway...

There are around two million expats in Thailand. Most are either teachers or elderly retired, some are writers, some are gangsters.

You can live tolerably well on a thousand dollars a month or very well on two thousand dollars. Everything outside the main tourist areas is much cheaper of course.

People are decent enough. It is pretty much a rural country still, so you get rural manners. Kids are genuinely polite and friendly which makes teaching bearable. English teachers get a thousand dollars straight off the plane and you don't need much in the way of qualifications.

It is an easy life. But forget brisk walks (too hot) and culture (except for drinking). Also, the sex industry is everywhere. Which is depressing after a while.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Hmmm - this is a balanced view, Will - thanks for being so candid.  I don't drink (so I guess I would not have a social life), but the 'industry' would genuinely be depressing as well as sickening to see. Otherwise, aside from not being a gangster, I think I qualify for the demographics, more or less!

How did you research where to find an apartment or house?  I would not know where to begin, in terms of looking for something.  But it does sound interesting to try it out for a while.

FYI - I read that English teachers work many hours every week.

1. Will Apse profile image89

I would have a look at this teachers forum if you are seriously interested in teaching.

hxxp://www.ajarnforum.net/

The whole country is set up for visitors so I would not worry too much about accommodation. You can always find something affordable.

This paper has some classifieds:

hxxp://www.phuketgazette.net/news/

But bear in mind the accommodation listed is some of the most expensive in the country.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Thanks, Will - it's really helpful to have an insider's view of expat living in a specific country.  The information you get on websites is the high-dollar version of costs, and programs like House Hunters International have people with 'budgets' of $750,000 or so.  Not my league!

2. BEEZKNEEZ profile image62
        BEEZKNEEZposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For Amazon:

The only way to make these more valuable is to join associate programs in other countries and have a redirect to the appropriate Amazon site for that respective country.

People have also been talking about why Internet Explorer traffic is more valuable than Chrome etc... I think one of the huge reasons is Adblock.

In fact, Amazon as well as any HP ads do not show up when using this program. In-text links do show up, however.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Many Amazon items can be shipped internationally.  See the information here:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ … =201117930

Many eBay sellers will also ship internationally.

1. world of the wise profile image68
        world of the wiseposted 10 years ago

All traffic is good, but not all of it is valuable.  You can only get valuable traffic from USA, Canada, UK and Australia.

2. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I have to agree with Will.

No traffic from outside the US is worth much if your main income comes from Amazon or eBay sales.

No-one using ebay.co.uk or Amazon.co.uk buys from US sellers, because the postage is prohibitive - ie item $50, postage $100.

I have also noticed across my subs that when traffic comes mostly from the UK, Hubads pay low, but when it is mostly from the US (and Google.com specifically) it is much higher.

I have also noticed that any Google Adsense click generated in the morning (my time) is always dismissed by Adsense if it comes from an Eastern country. It is there one minute, and gone on the next page refresh.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)