jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Is traffic from Google search engines outside the US as valuable?

1. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 2 years ago

Generally it seems to be agreed that it's important to get traffic straight from the Google search engine. What I'm wondering is if it is equally as valuable to get traffic from Google UK or Google Canada, etc. Does it have the same effect on gaining more traffic, indexing, SERPs, etc.? Or anything else you can think of that makes it more or less as valuable as traffic from Google?

1. Writer Fox profile image80
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

All Google traffic is good no matter which country's Google search is used.  It's all Google.  There will be a difference in click-through rates on ads because some countries have populations with lower disposable income to actually buy things from your Hubs, but all Hubs will show AdSense ads directed toward users that can be country specific and when someone clicks on one of those ads you get paid whether or not they actually buy something.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Traffic from outside North America is worthless if your main income is from Amazon or Ebay.

I live in Thailand and so see ads mainly in Thai- very low value. Same story for India, the Philippines etc.

Essentially, traffic from outside North America is not worth much.

1. electronician profile image94
          electronicianposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's a big generalization. There are plenty of places where people have an income comparable to America, such as Europe for example. OK so that's not much good for Amazon and eBay, as you say, but for adsense and hubpages ads this traffic is worth just as much. Some countries have a higher per capita income that the US, so traffic from there is likely to be more valuable.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Okay, Will - I just read the fine print in your post. Thailand.  I want to know more about how you found a pace to live  the cost of living, do you like it?  I looked for info among your hubs & didn't spot any titles, bit I could have missed them. Do you have any US$$$ comparisons?  I'm fascinated!

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
            Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm interested too. You've already got 2 people interested in reading it without even having it written.

2. Will Apse profile image89

That is such a big subject and there is no money in writing an article about it! Which is why I haven't.

There are around two million expats in Thailand. Most are either teachers or elderly retired, some are writers, some are gangsters.

You can live tolerably well on a thousand dollars a month or very well on two thousand dollars. Everything outside the main tourist areas is much cheaper of course.

People are decent enough. It is pretty much a rural country still, so you get rural manners. Kids are genuinely polite and friendly which makes teaching bearable. English teachers get a thousand dollars straight off the plane and you don't need much in the way of qualifications.

It is an easy life. But forget brisk walks (too hot) and culture (except for drinking). Also, the sex industry is everywhere. Which is depressing after a while.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94

Hmmm - this is a balanced view, Will - thanks for being so candid.  I don't drink (so I guess I would not have a social life), but the 'industry' would genuinely be depressing as well as sickening to see. Otherwise, aside from not being a gangster, I think I qualify for the demographics, more or less!

How did you research where to find an apartment or house?  I would not know where to begin, in terms of looking for something.  But it does sound interesting to try it out for a while.

FYI - I read that English teachers work many hours every week.

1. Will Apse profile image89

I would have a look at this teachers forum if you are seriously interested in teaching.

The whole country is set up for visitors so I would not worry too much about accommodation. You can always find something affordable.

This paper has some classifieds:

But bear in mind the accommodation listed is some of the most expensive in the country.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94

Thanks, Will - it's really helpful to have an insider's view of expat living in a specific country.  The information you get on websites is the high-dollar version of costs, and programs like House Hunters International have people with 'budgets' of $750,000 or so.  Not my league!

2. BEEZKNEEZ profile image84
        BEEZKNEEZposted 2 years ago in reply to this

For Amazon:

The only way to make these more valuable is to join associate programs in other countries and have a redirect to the appropriate Amazon site for that respective country.

People have also been talking about why Internet Explorer traffic is more valuable than Chrome etc... I think one of the huge reasons is Adblock.

In fact, Amazon as well as any HP ads do not show up when using this program. In-text links do show up, however.

2. Writer Fox profile image80
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago

Many Amazon items can be shipped internationally.  See the information here:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ … =201117930

Many eBay sellers will also ship internationally.

1. world of the wise profile image24
        world of the wiseposted 2 years ago

All traffic is good, but not all of it is valuable.  You can only get valuable traffic from USA, Canada, UK and Australia.

2. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 2 years ago

I have to agree with Will.

No traffic from outside the US is worth much if your main income comes from Amazon or eBay sales.

No-one using ebay.co.uk or Amazon.co.uk buys from US sellers, because the postage is prohibitive - ie item $50, postage $100.

I have also noticed across my subs that when traffic comes mostly from the UK, Hubads pay low, but when it is mostly from the US (and Google.com specifically) it is much higher.

I have also noticed that any Google Adsense click generated in the morning (my time) is always dismissed by Adsense if it comes from an Eastern country. It is there one minute, and gone on the next page refresh.