jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

Just starting out

1. 60
    CarolJSmithposted 2 years ago

I have several topics I'd like to write about; does my theme always have to be the same or can it vary for each article?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image84
      The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

You can write about anything that you like but it is best to test the water and find something which you are familiar with and like to write about. If it works to keep bringing comments or money - depending what you are writing for - then you have found your 'niche'.

2. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to HP Carol. I had the same fear when I first signed up. I had heard so much about finding a niche (one topic) to write about and stick to that one. I know about several things but probably not enough to have tons of hub on any one in particular. I've created 7 or 8 broad categories and write articles that fit into each. Other than following HP's guidelines and writing about topics you have a passion for, I believe the best rules are to have fun and be creative.

2. JG11Bravo profile image94
    JG11Bravoposted 2 years ago

There's nothing really limiting the scope of your hubs.  I have them on everything from Norse Mythology to Ramen noodles

3. 60
    CarolJSmithposted 2 years ago

Thanks for the hints. I was afraid I'd pick a subject and be stuck with it.

1. mgt28 profile image83
      mgt28posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Welcome. I joined 7 weeks ago, the best thing I have done in long time. If you enjoy writing widely and wildly , this the forum.

1. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to HubPages - I hope you enjoy your stay here.

2. mgt28 profile image83
      mgt28posted 2 years ago in reply to this

At one time someone will need to write their first hub.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image95
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

Welcome to HubPages, Carol. I agree with Sheila -- and in time, you will have the right categories to write about in your unique style. Have fun and enjoy this great community of supportive and talented writers.

5. Barbara Kay profile image85
    Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago

Welcome! I think you'll like it here.

6. 59
    claytowerposted 2 years ago

just have fun and write write write

7. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 2 years ago

Carol,  Welcome to HubPages. You are free to write about just about any topic.  Take a look at established users, and you will see that they often write about variety of topics.  It is a good idea to become an authority on a particular topic or topics and write well thought out articles that Internet users like, but there are no limits regarding how many topics you can write about.  I like to often write about things I want to learn more about myself.  It's a great way to teach yourself something new.

8. drpennypincher profile image97
    drpennypincherposted 2 years ago

I use the Hub Groups feature to organize my Hubs into different topic areas.  I currently have 8 groups.  The group is useful so that the "previous" and "next" links displayed at the bottom of your Hub will be to a Hub that is more likely to be of interest to the reader.  Good luck!

9. aingham86 profile image91
    aingham86posted 2 years ago

Welcome, Carol.

I've been here two years but it's only quite recently that I've jumped into a second niche and now a third. I stuck to one topic that I really knew for a while to build that up and learn the guidelines.

You can cover different topics on one hub, as others have said, and eventually you'll find the ones that get more views and make you more money. I hope you enjoy it here. It's the only place I've stuck to over the last two years.