jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Sudden influx of hubbers following me??

1. JessBraz profile image95
    JessBrazposted 2 years ago

This may seem like an odd question.
    In the past two or three days, all of a sudden I've got about 10-11 more followers.. Though I'm not complaining, as I've maintained a relatively low following thus far.. It is definitely exciting to think more people are suddenly becoming interested in my hubs- BUT.. I've noticed that of the 10-11 new followers, about eight of them have zero activity on hubpages, no hubs posted at all, no profile filled out, except for two that have info in their profiles that just describe a business of some sorts. Is there some reason why new hubbers would be finding me more easily on here?

I'm not sure why all of a sudden people are starting to follow me (again, super happy that my audience is growing!) though i'm not sure it's due to authentic interest in my writing. Has anyone else every encountered this before? Should I just not look a gift horse in the mouth and be happy or is this something other people have experienced before?

Thanks for reading my post!

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Just because you get a sudden increase in followers doesn't mean your audience/readership is growing.  You can take a look at their recent activity on their profiles.  If they aren't doing anything but following lots of people, it's just spammers.

1. JessBraz profile image95
      JessBrazposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the tip! I went back and looked through them again... It's kind of split.. Half must just be spammers because they have no activity and are followers 30+ people while the other half are only following one other person besides me... So weird. lol. I got excited for about a minute thinking I was starting to get noticed on here. lol.  Why would people create profiles only to spam on here? I live in Canada, it's not like I'm going to rent a limo from some guy in North Carolina because he follows me on hubpages. lol. Wouldn't hubpages ban spammy accounts like that?

1. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If the user posts spam in the forums or make Hubs with violations, they do.

3. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 2 years ago

I don't think it's happened to me yet but what if all of a sudden people start following us in large numbers (who are spammers)...do we get penalized for that somehow?