Putting pictures in articles

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. joeyallen profile image79
    joeyallenposted 10 years ago

Recently hubpages evidently changed how to size pics in articles. Just when I thought I had it working they changed. Now I can't seem to size the pics right to fit the article spacing.
    Yesterday I tried to change a pic in my highest rated hub and ended up this morning with it plummeting to my second lowest hub score. Help!

Now, it seems, either I need to size the pic before I insert it in article or is there something I'm missing in the edit mode?
    I did not have this problem before. Why was it changed to something I can't figure out?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can only re-size the photos before you enter them, or settle for the size which HP uses. They changed that a while back.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Related to this (and in the hopes the tech staff checks the thread) - I tried to change out some photos on a hub, and the system would NOT recognize my downloads.

Hard to explain (because I don't know what was happening), but I am on a Mac, I downloaded some photos from wikimedia commons (so they're usable) and they show up in my downloads & are not greyed out. But when I try to install the photos in a hub, the download files are greyed and therefore won't load. Everything on my Mac is updated, and I tried it on multiple browsers (Safari, Chrome, etc. - I think even Foxfire).

If anyone has some ideas to get past this issue, please help!  Thanks!

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@Marcy Goodfleisch
      Sorry you are having problems uploading images.
      We are currently unaware of any issue that would interfere with the ability to upload images.
      I would suggest trying a different browser and these trouble shooting steps.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Diag … r-problems
      You may also want to check Flash and try the non-Flash uploader.
      If you continue to have issues, please contact us directly here.
      http://hubpages.com/help-wizard/

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Matthew -  thanks so much for responding.  I've tried several browsers - I will try the steps you posted, and I'll let you know if I continue to have problems.

The other thing to check is if it is isolated to one or a few images.
          You might just take a screenshot and try uploading that as well in case somehow the actual image files you are attempting to upload are corrupt.

2. CJGrace profile image70
        CJGraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've tried different browers, Google Chrome and Safari, and still experience issues.  This last couple of days I resized an image in photoshop to 200x200p, and still the image comes out too large and blurry.

If you re-size an image smaller (25x25 pixels for example) to 200x200 you are not creating any more image information, so it is always going to be blurry as this basically just makes the original pixels display larger on the screen.

The starting source image should be higher resolution.
          We suggest 1000 pixels in the FAQ.
          http://hubpages.com/faq/#imagerequirements

The Learning Center has some articles about using images in Hubs here.
          http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use
          http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Taking-Great-Photos

1. CJGrace profile image70

I'll try that and let you know how it went! Thanks!

I don't believe it! It worked like a charm! The photo I took was taken with my smartphone, but it looks like I took it with my HD cam! So basically HP made it better with the change, those of us who didn't know, should have done our research. I'm ashamed of myself! lol

2. DATALOAD profile image60
      DATALOADposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, depending on how you save the file, you could've saved the path to the file. This means instead of the file being an actual photo, it's a link to the photo on the web.

Ensure that you have an actual image by right-clicking and choosing properties (for Windows). I'm sure there's a similar process for MAC. Make sure it has the proper extension.

I hope this helps. I thought I'd add my two cents:)

3. livingit4real profile image71
    livingit4realposted 10 years ago

I, too, would like some input on this. I have only seen two options: locating picture on the side or cover whole column by clicking or double clicking.  Of course, there is the thumbnail option.

4. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

HP changed the photo size options.  Now, you get the full width (520 pixels wide) or half width in the side column (260 pixels wide).  These two options can distort your pictures and trigger a warning that they are pixelated.  One way to circumvent this is to create white space around your photo so that it appears the way you want it to look at one of the two option sizes.  You just use a photo editor tool.  It takes time to do this, but there aren't any other choices right now. Here's a forum thread when the change was made two months ago:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115875

(Marcy, this probably won't solve your problem with the Mac.)

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Thanks, Writer Fox - maybe someone can clue me in on what I'm doing wrong, or what the system is doing wrong.  I can't update photos or even write new hubs (no way to add photos) until I figure this out.

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years ago

I have noticed recently that when I use images from Wikipedia, that if I want a large image up at the top of my hub or anywhere in the hub, I have to click on the image I want, and save the larger image that comes up on that second page. Like WriterFox says, the space for a full width image is now 520 pixels -- so, you have to save an image that is at least 520 pixels so it will not be distorted and unacceptable by HP.

Thanks, Phyllis - I'm not sure what's wrong at my end - I can't even get the photos to be accessible from my downloads if I'm in the edit photos mode.

Are you downloading photos which are accepted by HP? Are they for public use and not under license or copyright? See below:
        http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

Yep - they're either wikimedia or morgueFile.  It's something to do with how the HP system reads files from a Mac, or to do with the browser, I think.  They won't load at all.

I believe that I have seen Mac viewers on Google Analytics, so that should not be the problem. What browser do you use? It should work with any, but try Chrome or Firefox 4+. Others that should also work are IE 8+, Safari or Opera.

7. quiterandom profile image69
    quiterandomposted 10 years ago

Irfanview is a free, handy little graphics tool for resizing your your images and saving them in formats that work well for online publication. I have no suggestions for Mac users, other than possibly GIMP (which has a DMG file available somewhere) which has quite a higher learning curve.
    Am I allowed to post links to the places to download tools that help hubbers work on their hubs?

8. CJGrace profile image70
    CJGraceposted 10 years ago

I've noticed that no matter how many times I resize my photos, HP just doesn't seem to accept them.  I've tried uploading them in different browsers, and I still get the same issue.  I resize my photos in Photoshop 7.0, and I realize they need to be resized, as they are HD, they have very large files.  So, really I think the issue is on HP.  I have the issue most of the time, not always.

1. quiterandom profile image69
      quiterandomposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's best to resize them properly to HP's image sizes, 520 width for full column, 260 for side (half) column, at 72 DPI.
      What are you sizing them to?

Here is the FAQ entry related to suggested dimensions for uploaded images.
        http://hubpages.com/faq/#imagerequirements

Smaller than 260. I don't experience the problem all the time, but most of the time.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

During the summer the images I was trying to use came out so huge they were unusable. I had already been forced to change many of my original photos when the option to display 6 on our profile page was new, so it was a lot of work. Last Christmas none of the images I had for products were usable, that was what clued me in to the fact I had to find new pictures. Then this summer, they all were gigantic. Once you put it in the hub, it will get smaller, but you have to put it towards the right side of the words. So you can't be as creative as you might like. I haven't added any content since then.

9. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 10 years ago

It would be great if they would just change it back to the way it was.
    I hardly ever had a problem with that.

10. Shiley profile image67
    Shileyposted 10 years ago

I am so unhappy with this change.  Why would they take something that works just fine and change it to something more complicated?

11. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

@Marcy.  I had trouble with the Commons so had to use the large photo and save it rather than downloading.  Otherwise it would not upload correctly to HP. It was frustrating.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)