Getting hubs indexed....how long does it take?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Suzanne Day profile image95
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

I can see some of my new hubs in Google when I search for "hub name".

But in Webmaster Tools, I submitted a sitemap and it says 38 URLs submitted and 10 indexed.

I used Fetch as Google for a few new hubs and ticked some as URL for new page and URL for re-crawling the site.

I also have some shares/likes etc on social media and a couple of new links to the subdomain done in the past week or so.

Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes to get the hubs indexed properly?

I've submitted a sitemap to Bing as well, I've heard they're a bit quicker.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

My last two hubs were crawled within a couple hours of being featured. As to being indexed, I'm not sure. Either Google has to digest things for awhile or I was put on page 10,000.

Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can see my hubs in Google, even after logging out of my Google account. So not sure if there is some sort of "lag" or if Webmaster Tools is faulty.

Traffic seems to be going up a bit, but earnings have been extremely low since I put up the new hubs. I think I can guess why - if only 10 hubs are "indexed" and I played with a few of them, then this would result in earnings falling, even though I have published a lot of new hubs.

I think it will sort itself out in the end, but I don't want to have to wait 6 months to find out if it can be avoided......plus if we're all having ads on our hubs but not receiving revenue for 6 months, it could be a bit annoying...(I heard some horror stories about a 6 month wait for example).

Eg, what I'm seeing is new hubs published, found in Google etc. But while traffic has grown, I'm seeing earnings going down quite a lot, even accounting for CPM variation.

You'd think you'd see some sort of vague upwards swing with 29 new hubs added....but I'm not seeing it and I think the stats in Webmaster Tools may be showing me why...

I think only 10 hubs in Google are earning revenue, even though I have 39 featured hubs. When I fiddled with some of those original 10 hubs, the earnings started dropping.

I guess my question to the Hubpages team is - does anyone know how long it will be until the rest of my featured hubs are supposed to be earning revenue? I understand that revenue itself will vary, but what is the timeframe?

I know Google is about as on time as a piece of string, and I have done all the steps to stimulate crawling and indexing, but has anyone got any idea what kind of time frame we are looking at, or indeed, why there is any lag between hubs being in Google with ads on them but no revenue being generated through the Hubpages statistics?

PS - this is also allowing for the timeframe of Hubpages stats reporting to me on Sunday what I earned on Friday...

PPS - please note that of the new hubs, they are all original, they all look reasonably good, many are 1500-3000 words long and there is traffic going to them. Also I have some shorter ones of 700 words which have generated revenue in the past on old (now demolished) blog sites I have. None of the old content remains on the web and they are not duplicated.

PPPS - I started publishing the new hubs on 31/10/13.

3. Suzanne Day profile image95
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

OK, have just re-read what I wrote and feel I might have muddled it up a bit. Starting at the beginning, is revenue tied to indexing or not?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you are using the HP ad program, your revenue is tied to traffic.  If you are just using AdSense, your income is based on clicks – but you have to have traffic for that to work for you, too. If your Hubs are not indexed on search engines, they won't receive traffic from search engines.  Many people have noticed a marked change in how fast Hubs are indexed since the navigation on Hubs changed on September 17. See this forum thread:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117286

HP used to submit a new site map every hour to search engines but I don't know if that is being done now.  Since the change in navigation, I have sometimes had problems with Hubs getting indexed quickly. If my new Hub is not indexed within three hours of being featured, I now submit the URL from Google Webmaster Tools (Fetch as Googlebot for the URL and 'URL and all links' for my subdomain Profile page). Then I ping it.  So far that has worked for me.

Hi Writer Fox, thank you for your reply.

I have submitted the Fetch as Googlebot etc and ticked the URL and all links, both a week ago and today as well for different URLs.

What has me puzzled is that Webmaster Tools is showing that I have 39 submitted URLs and only 10 indexed. At the same time, I am getting search engine traffic on nearly all my hubs, including one I published yesterday....so I can't decide if Webmaster Tools is broken or if it is a puzzling mess of some Google bits working and not working regarding traffic, stats and revenue.

Either way, as I said, it will get sorted in the end when Google indexes the rest of my hubs. Just hope it isn't too long and advice is welcome.

I haven't pinged anything for a long time....what's a good method to use for this?

Take the first paragraph of a Hub, put it in quotation marks, and paste it into the search box on Google.  If your Hub shows up, it's in the Google index.

You don't really want to annoy search engines by pinging pages that aren't new.

When you submit a URL using the fetch feature, after Google has found the webpage then a box pops up which says 'submit to Index.' Are you clicking on that and submitting the URL?  (Submit URL 'and all links' just for the Profile from that button.)

Right now, Google has your Profile and 31 Hubs indexed:
          http://tinyurl.com/qbre9wd

Also, any Hubs which are not featured cannot be indexed because Google cannot crawl them. Check your accounts page and see if all of your Hubs are featured. If you have any Editor's Choice Hubs, these sometimes have problems getting indexed because the URL changes.

Thanks Writer Fox, that clarifies some things. Looks like Webmaster Tools is slow in the uptake. I couldn't get the site: url to work before, so thank you for showing me how it is done!

Yes, I only submitted new hubs to Fetch as Google, and "submit to index" was clicked.

Yes, I have a few hubs that haven't reached 100 views yet (they're a bunch of duds) so I'm not concerned with the remaining 9 hubs yet to make it, they will in their own time.

Thank you for clarifying with the 31 indexed hubs, it shows me they are where they should be. Will have to check this instead of Webmaster Tools.

Obviously the revenue problem (where revenue for me is going down while traffic is going up) is something I can't put my finger on.....must be one of those random Hubpages things....CPM is up and down and extremely variable this week, but considering search engine traffic is picking up while revenue traffic stats are going down, I'm still not sure what is happening with that...

You're welcome.

CPM changes constantly and is related to the value of your Hubs' topics to advertisers.  HP has made some changes within the past 30 days to improve CPM and the site's display on mobile devices.  (My CPM is up 72% over last month.)

2. isaacasante profile image82
              isaacasanteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had a hub featured 8 days ago, and still not in Google Index: http://tinyurl.com/pmsakwr
              Embarassing!

Have you connected a Webmaster Tools account to your HP Subdomain?

1. isaacasante profile image82

Yup, I did!

Then, try the suggestion above about submitting your Hub from Webmaster Tools.

4. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I thought it could take months and is dependent on Google's estimation of how good the article will do based on quality and initial traffic.

I think he is talking about indexing on Google, not ranking.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh hmm. I'm clueless.

2. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh hmm. I'm clueless.

1. isaacasante profile image82

Haha, it's okay.

2. Suzanne Day profile image95

OK have found in webmaster tools that all my unindexed hubs have now been indexed. So we are looking at a total waiting period of about 6 weeks for indexation. That's not "crawl" or being in Google, but rather being put into the ranking SERPS....and getting the real traffic stats on each hub.

It should never take more than 24 hours to be indexed by Google.  Ranking for keywords is something else altogether and that may never happen.  That's entirely up to the Google algorithm's opinion of your content in the light of competing webpages for search query terms. You can always look at your Google Webmaster Tools account to see how your Hubs are ranking for specific keyword phrases.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)