jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)

Is there any chance in HP for starting writers?

1. Inutero profile image87
    Inuteroposted 2 years ago

It just seems that most high-rated writers on HP were in the apprenticeship program or started out a few years back. Now, I know my articles aren't the best. & although I have much writing in store for me, is there even a chance to get a high amount of hits?

1. spartucusjones profile image90
      spartucusjonesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

HP does fairly well at promoting new writers. They have those weekly rising star contest. So if you follow Hubpages suggestive guidelines in the composition of your hubs, then your chances are as good as anyone else.

That being said you are not going to get loads of traffic overnight and hubs do need time to mature. So if your expectations are unrealistic and you lack patience then you probably won't last here.

2. 0
      SirDentposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It takes a lot of work and dedication to get lots of traffic.  It is actually up to you and your writing that determines how much traffic you get.  If you can find a niche that is pretty much untapped, you will do well.

3. Richawriter profile image96
      Richawriterposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hey. I wouldn't worry about the rest of us. As you say, we started a while back and so have come to this point through much trial and error. When I started out I was creating embarrassingly poor hubs and was nowhere near getting into the apprenticeship program. Not sure about now but that doesn't matter anymore anyway.

I love your Carnegie hub. It's well laid out and well written, with images and dates etc. Very interesting. You do write well. That's a start and as you say in your profile, you think out of the box.

Study those with higher scores. Work out what makes their hubs so befitting of being ranked in the nineties and use the same techniques. Add 'facts' text boxes alongside your writing and explore your topics from angles never before seen. Don't forget to choose keywords too and sprinkle them throughout your hubs though not to the extent that you'll be spamming.

If you want to make it here, write about what you know and what is popular or trending and share your hubs on social networks and other forums to get them more exposure.

The very best way to ensure that you make it and start bringing in some money provided you are using the hubpages earning program, is to strive to offer the very very best content on your choice of topic. You'll attract attention then, facebook likes, twitter reposts and that kind of thing will give you backlinks and a daily surge of people to your hubs. Also, group your hubs of the same topic together using the 'group' function and those similar hubs will be shown at the bottom of each hub in that group.

Some hubbers read and comment on other hubs daily and this also attracts views, comments and attention not to mention friends but I find I don't have time for that.

Write as many hubs as you can but NEVER rush or cut corners. Produce awesome hubs and they'll be selected as 'Editor's Choice' which will then ensure they are displayed on HubPages main site which is pagerank 6 and this will bump your article up in google rankings.

I write 2 - 3 a week now but when I wasn't putting this effort in 2 years ago I made nothing. It took over a year to get anything from the first hubs but that was because I was slack. I now see that if you visit daily, update and create hubs daily, your score goes up, visits increase and money is made.

You can do it! Good luck.

1. DATALOAD profile image60
        DATALOADposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Well Said.

4. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm still fairly new myself. When I first started, I felt as you do. I never thought I'd get anyone reading my hubs or get my score to go up. Just keep writing and people will start reading your hubs. Usually if you have good content, your hubs will take off. Whatever you do, don't give too easily. Stick it out for a while. I'm sure you're going to do great.

5. Sue B. profile image88
      Sue B.posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes I think there is hope for new writers.  You have only been writing for 2 weeks and your score is pretty high already.  I know people say not to focus on the score so I should probably pass on that information to you as well.  Although, I completely understand the focus on it because I too become score obsessed!

1. Jean Bakula profile image96
        Jean Bakulaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Go for it! It's a great platform for new writers. Most of us were new writers when we came here. You already have a format to make it easy to know where to put pictures or polls or whatever. Mostly everyone is willing to help you. If the administrators are busy, anyone will answer your questions, and we all love to see other people succeed. Plus we all need help or have questions at times. Just read the rules, and read some of the hubs, to get a feel for the site.

I have and do write on other sites, but I think this is the easiest one. Best of luck!

6. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The most obvious reason being that the more hubs you write, the more traffic you get.  And the people who have been here for years have had time to write hundreds of hubs.

1. WryLilt profile image86
        WryLiltposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This account currently has 62 hubs.

2. Anamika S profile image70
    Anamika Sposted 2 years ago

Better late than never! I don't consider myself a good writer but still I have prospered here. I was pathetic too when I started and I am happy to say that I have improved a lot. Rather than getting discouraged by obstacles, I suggest you start writing here. I am sure you will learn a lot and won't regret your journey.

3. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 2 years ago

I've never done the apprenticeship program.

You pick things up with time and listening to people who've made plenty of mistakes.

4. janshares profile image87
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Definitely, you have a chance of doing well. I did not do the apprentice program either. It is not a requirement to do well on HP. I just read one of your hubs. Keep up the good work and you will be fine. WryLilt is correct about learning by picking up things as you go along. That's how I did it by reading forums, asking questions, and getting help from the top hubbers. Welcome to HubPages, be patient with yourself and persistent.

5. Marina7 profile image81
    Marina7posted 2 years ago

I think you are a great writer. I tried to get into this apprentice program but am still waiting to get into it. I am sure it would help me improve.

6. lovebuglena profile image91
    lovebuglenaposted 2 years ago

I think starting writers can do well on here as well. So keep on it and don't give up. It takes time to improve and perfect your craft.

7. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

As with many things in life, you won't know until you try. And, as with life, it could be awhile before the final results appear.

8. Nadine May profile image92
    Nadine Mayposted 2 years ago

Go for it I say. You will get better as you go along. You will learn a lot from other writers and in no time you are hooked and will never look back.

9. 0
    rmcmillenposted 2 years ago

I joined HP 4 years ago or so and have been a member for a long time, however I largely forgot about the site all together starting the day after I joined only to come back to it and see what it was all about just under a year ago.

In the time since my return I've written 11 articles (all of them featured with 3 more I am working on now) and I've had just under 8,000 hits collectively in that time...... that's the kind of exposure I only dreamed that I would have in the last year and by and large all that writing has helped me hone my skills and get better with every article.

So, worth it? I'd like to think so. I say find topics you love and/or are passionate about to allow the best of yourself to come out in your writing, write and just try to take their constructive criticism for what it is, fellow writers trying to help you come up with ideas on how to make the article better, which will give you more exposure. I've had more exposure with such people having my back than I ever did writing articles for the likes of Yahoo.

Who knows....... if you're as lucky as I am you may find that those very individuals will become your biggest asset and best HP friends over time. Most of those I count as followers were those who supported me from my first article and on.....

10. Inutero profile image87
    Inuteroposted 2 years ago

Thank you all for the responses! Very insightful.
    I'll apply these ideas and just keep on writing.
    Happy Holidays everyone.