jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Quick heavy traffic vs. Trickles turning into heavy traffic

1. NateB11 profile image91
    NateB11posted 2 years ago

When I first started writing online about 20 months ago, that's one of the things I'd read; that heavy traffic that comes early to your content will turn to very little traffic eventually. The reasoning is something along the lines that that is fly by night subject matter and content, but doesn't last. Along those lines, it was said, that content that is good that gets trickles at first, turns into long-term good traffic that lasts. To me, this makes sense; because the latter is something serious people will be interested in, in the long-run and it's more likely to have sustained interest from more and more people. The former is easy money, essentially, often involving some trickery. Very few easy quick things last.

So, my question is, Is this true? I've also read articles in which people claimed they got heavy traffic right away and were able to maintain it. Of course, can't trust everything you read.

Which is it? From your knowledge, experience and/or educated guesses.

2. Gcrhoads64 profile image96
    Gcrhoads64posted 2 years ago

I would think heavy, early traffic would come from topics which are relevant in the short term, but later traffic which increases would be due to "evergreen" interest.

Put that done as an educated guess. smile

NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

That is my feeling and understanding too, what makes sense to me.

3. HollieT profile image89
    HollieTposted 2 years ago

I think heavy (organic) traffic early on is the result of Goggle testing your subdomain/hubs before deciding their position in the SERPS- which can fluctuate wildly anyway.

Yes, I've observed that, especially with my own sites. There is often heavy traffic, I think mainly from bots crawling new content.

4. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 2 years ago

Traffic will depend on a number of factors and will change as your competition changes and as google measures how much your hub is "liked" by the readers.

If you manage to write a hub using keywords that are being heavily searched and for which there is no competition (such as being first on the web about a news event or even finding that rare keyword that no one has written about) then you could gain the majority of the searches right from the outset. However if the searches for that keyword reduce such as for a news event that people lose interest in, or the competition for your keywords increases and people publish newer and better articles you will lose traffic. You will also lose traffic if people come to your hub, find that it does not match what they are searching for and quickly click back to the search results to look at the next result. In these cases your traffic will start high and dwindle down.........

If you write something that is being searched but there is competition then it may take a while for Google to promote your hub up the search results. Over time your hub will get more and more visitors if google sees that your hub answers the query that the visitor types into the search (they stay on your page and read without clicking back to the results to check another page.) They will also gain more confidence in all of your hubs as each hub gains more and more traffic and you gain "respect" as an author on the web. So over time if your hubs are good they will gain more and more traffic, unless of course there are better more authoritative articles out there..

Then you also have to take into account the wind direction, the cost of tea in China and if the Google Bot has PMT!!

Makes sense. And having some authority is becoming more important; as is user experience and visitor sticking around to actually read your content. It's good to know that age of the content does have something to do with it too.

5. Kain 360 profile image86
    Kain 360posted 2 years ago

In my experience across multiple Hub accounts, it is true to an extent. However, I will tell you one thing, it greatly depends on the topic.

I wrote a hub at the end of 2011 and it got 1000s of views each day. Not sure how long, but I know it was at least for several weeks.

2 years later it's not getting thousands of views, but it's still getting a few hundred each day! Go figure! smile So I'm basically making money off of one hub from 2 years ago.

It's probably likely that unless it is a "news related" hub, it will still get a decent amount of traffic after a long time. Of course it will probably be significantly less. Just like my example above.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I hardly ever get very spectacular traffic, but I do get some decent traffic and, on those articles, there's usually constant traffic, though not as much as it received early on.