jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (16 posts)

Competition with a Prize relevant to Writing & Writers

1. Astra Nomik profile image74
    Astra Nomikposted 2 years ago

This is just my suggestion, but how about having occasional competitions for hubbers and rewarding winners and runners-up with books like The Writers Handbook or the Writers and Artists Yearbook, or other informative books that are closely connected to our writing habits?

Other prizes could be coupons or big discounts for courses on writing, editing, or something that both HubPages and the writing world in general want to promote. Every competition is a potential opportunity to grow an audience and a user base.

Thank you for letting me suggest this.

1. L.M. Hosler profile image86
      L.M. Hoslerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I like that idea.  There are lots of nice prizes that writers could use.

2. DATALOAD profile image60
    DATALOADposted 2 years ago

That would be pretty cool.

3. Cheeky Girl profile image84
    Cheeky Girlposted 2 years ago

Hey, Cathy! Count me in! smile

4. bravewarrior profile image95
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

I'm all for it.  I hope the HP execs read this and give your suggestion some thought.

5. janshares profile image87
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Great suggestion, Astra Nomik. That would not only motivate one to write but to receive something useful. Also a win-win for all.

6. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

I agree, this is a very good idea that would provide something useful to the writer - and HP too since improved writing would of course lead to better hubs.

7. Suzanne Day profile image96
    Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago

I'd be into that - as long as Australians could use it too!

8. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

First Prize: Living a day with Paradigmsearch.

Second Prize: Living a week with Paradigmsearch.

Third Prize: Living a month with Paradigmsearch.

1. janshares profile image87
      jansharesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

9. W1totalk profile image81
    W1totalkposted 2 years ago

I kinda of hope someone could get a desk statue too as a prize, something inspirational, for writing but fun and passion filled.

10. Astra Nomik profile image74
    Astra Nomikposted 2 years ago

Gosh I am very happy to see support for this.

With so much writing happening here on HubPages, having prizes that help encourage more writing and paying it "forward" in the writers direction can only be good and help encourage writers to write more.

I saw an issue of Monocle recently and the things they sell in their own magazine are wonderful. They have lots of branded goods. It can certainly be done.

It's not just book giveaways, the prizes could be other things...

HubPages pens, notebooks, netbooks, special copies of writing software or apps... free ipads or tablet PCs, anything to help move HubPages out there in to the world and get more noticed.

Surely there are companies and retailers wanting to help get more goods sold or noticed this year. Discounting them via giveaways or competitions would be so easy.

11. Writer Fox profile image80
    Writer Foxposted 2 years ago

People have asked for a contest before and the staff says that they are too busy for one right now.

Here is a Hub Billybuc recently wrote about having contests:
    http://billybuc.hubpages.com/hub/An-Ope … Management

12. twentyfive profile image80
    twentyfiveposted 2 years ago

I agree. They must add a corresponding (real) prize/reward on every accolade for example. smile

1. Astra Nomik profile image74
      Astra Nomikposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree, Fehl. A corresponding prize would be very good and a reward that would mean something to a writer, and make all writers see how serious HubPages takes the art of writing in all genres and formats. HubPages is all about writing and a great place to promote all things about writing, since its existence depends on quality writing.

13. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 2 years ago

Cash or stock for me, thanks.