jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)

What do you Rock when you're writing?

1. CaptainJoeySweet profile image82
    CaptainJoeySweetposted 3 years ago

It is obvious from the wide variety of personal style's in writing on here that the world is slap full of creative minds. What influences you when you write. Ernest Hemingway has often been quoted as saying, "write drunk, edit sober." (I'm not quite sure he actually said that, but it has been attributed to him in many circles.)  While I don't advocate that everyone get "plowed" before sitting down to write, I do find that other things help to stimulate creativity, such as music, color, apparel or the smell of food cooking.  What works the best for you, or better said, what do you rock? This thread should be a fun read later for sure!!

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
      LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have found that I work best late at night when everyone in the household is asleep. I take some breaks while writing and either take a cigarette break or  drink some coffee.

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image60
      AMAZING THINKERposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think a lot, so the ideas are already in my mind. They just get organized when I write. Once I start writing, I stop only when it's finished. Then I edit it. Of course I don't write drunk. Mostly!

3. Goodpal profile image89
      Goodpalposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I prefer quiet environment and recount the idea several times in my mind. Then allow the mind to roll-free... Often I keep google search page ready for quick info.

Some time write some short sentences on FB or twitter page to un-clutter the mind and for feedback.

4. CJGrace profile image79
      CJGraceposted 3 years ago in reply to this

LOL! I thought I was the only one! I like to do my work late at night. I guess I've always been a night person. I've also noticed that music can have an influence on my work as well, and depending on what kind of music, will depend on what or how I write, even when it comes to video editing.  I used to write pretty or create my digital artwork when I was drunk, in fact, that was some of my best work! Hehe. Only, I no longer drink.  I also find it helps to take multiple breaks to help refreshen the brain.

2. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 3 years ago

Chips, Little Debbies and StarBucks Double Shot Vanilla energy drink. Works wonders, works every time.

1. bipolartist profile image81
      bipolartistposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Pretty sure I gained 2 lbs just reading that beautiful, enticing list of yours.

1. Goodpal profile image89
        Goodpalposted 3 years ago in reply to this

LOL smile

3. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

Once in awhile if I am pushing a deadline and burning the midnight oil a shot of Vodka in my coffee will perk me right up and get my brain in gear again if I've been fatigued. 

I don't recommend this as a daily thing or anything wink but it helps once in awhile. I also listen to binaural beats - something about them helps focus my brain and get me on track again.  Youtube them if you aren't familiar with them. smile

CaptainJoeySweetposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've heard about those as well as the Solfigeo, better known as  "love frequency" tunes!  smile

4. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

I listen to Nox Arcana music when I am writing, especially if I am writing on darker themed subjects.  I am also at my BEST at NIGHT. My juices really FLOW.......

CaptainJoeySweetposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm with you... me too! Something about the evening just kicks your butt into gear at times!!

5. PCGaminghub profile image79
    PCGaminghubposted 3 years ago

I used to intoxicate myself frequently and I think wrote more entertaining pieces as a result. My writing is more legible now, but it has become quite dull.

I am of the opinion that men need drugs, they are a quintessential part of our being since the ancient civilizations.

Being tea-total and tobacco free sucks in a way /grumpmodeoff

1. bipolartist profile image81
      bipolartistposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Newly tea-total here, PC. NOT giving up the smokes, though.
      That being said, I listen to Regina Spektor Radio on Pandora for inspiration, then switch it over to piano classical...

However, when I was drinking 20 oz of Vodka a day, I put out a whole bunch of words...sadly, they were illegible and when I read them while sober, not nearly as witty as I previously thought.

Anyway, I'm new here on hubpages and have no idea what to do, so I am going to browse.

Cheers!

6. tatumrangel profile image61
    tatumrangelposted 3 years ago

Writing during the evening often works for me.  While writing, I always need different types of rock music, especially metal.  Atmospheric metal is pretty good for inspiration.

7. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 3 years ago

I let which ever of the voices in my head is the loudest just take over and write what they want....then I check my account occasionally to find out what it was...sure is getting crowded in here...

working