jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Pokey internet connection

1. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Seriously beginning to think Verizon (my ISP) is picking on me, as in as sticking me in the slow lane.

Or could the unusually cold weather be causing the problems?

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have Comcast, so I'm not sure what would best for you. When my connection is running slow, the first thing I do is make sure nothing is running in the background (virus scanner,etc). If yours has been slow for days, it's probably something else. If mine is slow for a few days, I try a hard reset of the modem. Unplug the computer and power cord from the back, wait about 10-15 seconds, then plug everything back in. It''l take a few minutes for everything to boot back up. Believe it or not, sometimes that helps. If it doesn't , can you go to the Verizon website and contact on-line help (Comast provides tech support by phone, email, or chat)? If they have live chat, go there. If they can't talk you through how to check/fix it, they might be able to do a remote fix where they take over your computer and do everything from their end.

2. PhoenixV profile image80
      PhoenixVposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My internet is always slow.

3. Writer Fox profile image79
      Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Maybe you're being punished.

2. JG11Bravo profile image92
    JG11Bravoposted 3 years ago

How long has the issue been going on?  Usually a couple of phone calls to tech support will get it pretty quickly resolved, whatever it is.  I can't imagine the weather would be hampering your speeds.

paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You have an ISP that answers their phone? I never heard of such a thing. So much so, that I didn't even try. lol

I shall do so.

3. tirelesstraveler profile image87
    tirelesstravelerposted 3 years ago

Last summer I couldn't hardly move my internet was so slow. I dumped a lot of programs that were useless and internet explorer.  Then I got rid of tons of pictures.  Defragged the whole beast and it sped up nicely.

4. JG11Bravo profile image92
    JG11Bravoposted 3 years ago

Let me know how it works out, my friend.  I've dealt with Verizon for a few things in the past, and they'll give you the old power cycle routine first, then probably want to replace the router.

paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Now half the time the DSL isn't working at all. Other half the time it's turtle speed. Thought I'd describe the symptoms in case it helps anybody give me some clues. So far, haven't been functional long enough to access their site.

1. JG11Bravo profile image92
        JG11Bravoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sounds to me like it's in the line.  It's likely not you, but the ISP will have to take care of it.

working