jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

Clicking your own amazon and ebay ads

1. Karen Banes profile image90
    Karen Banesposted 7 years ago

I know that clicking a google ad on your own page is prohibited and punishable (I believe) with a life-time ban from google, but what if you click on your own amazon and ebay links? Will this get you banned from their affiliate programs?

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

No, and the reason is that you get paid for a sale in this case, not for a click.

3. Trsmd profile image59
    Trsmdposted 7 years ago

If I want to buy something.. and that item i will add and then purchase through my affiliate link only..

is it allowed???

1. 49er profile image80
      49erposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Some programs do not have a problem with this, while others do. However, this is something that you would want to find out directly from the vendor.

It is probably stated in their TOS, but I would make sure you verify it with your own eyes, rather than relying on a third party website or person.

2. BDazzler profile image83
      BDazzlerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Amazon used to allow this.  The last time I did it, they simply deducted my commsions with a note "Sale to self".

They did not ban me.

4. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

I am not sure, usually I ask my wife to buy through my affiliate link lol

5. Janet21 profile image78
    Janet21posted 7 years ago

Per EPN's Code of Conduct under the 'Non-Bona Fide Transactions section',

You and your Agents will not click on Promotional Content containing your own Tracking Code.

I posed this quesiton on the EPN message board awhile back and received this response.

So, I think it is a grey area as to whether or not you can click on your own affiliate links, but I do believe it is a no-no to purchase from them since their TOS state they don't even want you clicking on them.    As far as Amazon is concerned, I am not sure of their TOS.

Edited to add:  Just found this on the Amazon site,

What is Amazon's policy for Associates placing orders for themselves?
    You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through your own Associates links and will not receive referral fees for such orders. This includes orders for customers, orders on behalf of customers, and orders for products to be used by you, your friends, your relatives, or your associates in any manner.

So, a no-no over there as well. However, I don't believe it is a problem to click on your affiliate links on Amazon, but can't find anything on their site that states a definite answer to this question.

6. Anti-Valentine profile image94
    Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago

I've clicked on one of my own amazon links to test it out for some reason, and nothing happened.

But the moral of the story must be, with thanks to BDazzler, "Don't buy an item after following a link with one of your trackers."

7. 0
    multimasteryposted 7 years ago

Speaking of clicking on ads, are our own Google Adsense ads shown on our page when we're logged-in.  If so it is easy for one to make a mistake and click on one of their own; I wonder about this sometimes.  Some communities similar to HubPages supress or do not shown the account holders Adsense ads while they are logged - so that it gives users an added safeguard for this very reason.  I wonder if HubPages has this safeguard??

1. Anti-Valentine profile image94
      Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I often worry about the same thing! I tend to let the page load first and keep my mouse pointer off of the page, then I avoid moving over any ads. It's like a minefield.

8. kiwi91 profile image81
    kiwi91posted 7 years ago

I was wondering the same thing -- could we be penalized from Adsense if another hubber clicks on one of my hubs, or if multiple hubbers click on them?

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You'll want to read this portion of AdSense's help pages,

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … topic=8426

9. 0
    multimasteryposted 7 years ago

Yeah I sure hope someone here can show definite information as to whether those are our ads when we're logged in or not.  It definitely shouldn't feel like a Minefield - and that's exactly what it feels like to me too -especially when I've had a beer or two LOL