Burnout

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)
  1. HeatherH104 profile image78
    HeatherH104posted 10 years ago

I don't know if it's just holiday stress but  I've been having trouble writing lately! My last hub sounded better in my head than it turned out (sorry if you ended up reading that horror, I did take it down). Guess it will come back, it's tough waiting out dry spells.

1. bipolartist profile image76
      bipolartistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I go through ups and downs, Heather. When there is stress swimming all around (and holidays ALWAYS bring on  stress) it may be hard to connect with yourself. A long, hot bath generally helps- at least while I am in the tub. wink

I would just open a blank Word doc. and start brainstorming how frustrated you are with not being able to write and see what happens...

Good luck!

HeatherH104posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the encouragement bipolartist. I think you are right, when things settle down taking some quiet time to process life could help get the ideas flowing again. Guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself. The holiday is almost over anyway.

2. writinglover profile image76
      writingloverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know the feeling. I hadn't been able to write because of work-related burnout (exhaustion led to my not being able to write). I work at a nursing home in the dietary department and it turns out I've been putting in 75 hours per pay period. I guess I shouldn't complain because I got to get my college loans paid but it's a lot of work and especially during a renovation. Anywho, I know what being burned out is like but I'm sure stress is all that it is.

HeatherH104posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are doing well - especially considering how many hours you've been working! I've always admired your writing and the honesty in your work. Good luck at your job and keep up the great writing writinglover.
        Heather

1. writinglover profile image76
          writingloverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Heather! big_smile

2. NateB11 profile image90
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

I definitely know what you're talking about. I've been feeling burnout lately, writing on multiple sites, including my own, and also doing a little freelance work. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. I have written some things today I feel good about and enjoyed writing though.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It seems like you write in a lot of places, NateB11. Do you get carpal tunnel? The year I was rushing to get content on my blog, I had tendonitis too. That's better, but I have every kind of brace for my arm that is available. My fingers on my right hand get so uncomfortable, sometimes I wake up in the night and the pins and needles really hurt. I know it's time to take a break then.

I'm taking a break until Christmas is over, I think. I may work a little on my blog, there's a series I have to finish. I don't add much content here because it's too hard when they make changes. I've been writing on Bubblews and got paid any time I tried to redeem, but they made the payout amount $50 now instead of $25, they only gave 3 days notice. It's all the same to me, when I write there I aim for $25 a week. I've begun to write on Infobarrel a few times too, but had some trouble when they changed the format. I can do better now if I use Google Chrome. Sometimes we need to relax. I do get that satisfied feeling though when I know I've written something good. You can't  do that on Bubblews.

1. NateB11 profile image90
        NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, over the past 20 months I've done a lot writing. I write on four revenue-sharing sites and have my own sites, two now and plan on starting at least one (maybe two or more) more. In addition, I do a little freelance. I've also now dabbled in some self publishing. It's a lot of writing altogether. I do get some pains from it; some in my hand, more in my upper back and neck from sitting at the computer for extended periods. It's my plan to make a living writing, so I've devoted a lot of time to it. I agree with the suggestion of writing in a word document, it seems to help. In my case, that would be an Open Office document. Somehow it eases the pressure of writing, don't know why. It ends up making it less work, I think. I think because then you can just concentrate on the writing in a document, then when transferring it over to the site, you can then put a little work into other media for the article.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like writing my serious pieces on Word too. There are no other distractions. I don't bother to write my Bubbles anywhere first, those are only whatever pops into my head, that I can write about in a few literate sentences. I like the easy money, but it doesn't satisfy my creative self. Plus I believe the carpal tunnel comes from all the clicking, you have to view, like, comment, and connect to each piece you look at besides the writing you do. I may drop that. It gets confusing when you write in too many places, doesn't it?

I'm leery of adding more content here, but do like HP. It's a good platform and I learned a lot here. The most active forums and good people are here. It's just too hard when we have to make large changes. But I waver about what bigger site to write on. I wrote the 10 pieces to be accepted on both Wizzley.com and Infobarrel.com. My niche is metaphysical though, and not all sites or readers are receptive to it. It doesn't work out well on Wizzley at all, and I've been trying out different things on both sites, lately on IB. I read a lot and often review books I think are worth reading. I suppose all writers are readers. It's snowing like mad in NJ, and I just got in from food shopping which had to be done. It's a great night for reading by the fireplace! Take care.

1. NateB11 profile image90
            NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I get major burnout from Bubblews, but I still like it. I treat it like a spur of the moment free-flow writing thing. But the interaction, the liking and so on, can become tiring. Yes, it can get difficult writing for many sites. I agree the community on HP is great. That subject you write on is difficult to get a good reception for, it's true. I originally wanted to write mainly very philosophical articles, but those kinds of articles get little traffic. So I ventured off into other interests to write about.

Okay, hope you have a great weekend. thanks for the chat.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)