jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Anyone tried Headliner.fm?

1. electronician profile image91
    electronicianposted 3 years ago

The Wordpress.com website is promoting this, prompting you to sign up and promote your post after you publish it. Basically you get points for sharing other member's content and then spend those points creating promotions and getting other members to share them. I've seen other systems similar to this but they always seemed too spammy, with lots of bot accounts and low quality content. Headliner.fm seems better, with real people and more quality content but I'm still not sure. Anyone have any experience using the site or any thoughts on the concept itself - is it too spammy? Could it be useful for promoting hubs and blog posts?

1. That Grrl profile image79
      That Grrlposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't like stuff where you promote some other person's content. Unless it's an even trade or seems fair in some other way (like being paid actual money) I'm not interested.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is what this is.  You make points by promoting and spend them getting other people to promote you.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
      LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I would be careful. Traffup.net works on a similar concept ( you get points by visiting other member's sites). However although this is done by real people Google seems to think that it is not OK and may end banning your account.
      See this from Traffup's site: http://traffup.net/faq/#;

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Traffup is a traffic exchange as I understand.  This is more like EmpireAvenue or Libboo (a token based social network activity exchange), which as okay with Google.

Also on that link you gave they say they are okay with Google.  but I think they are wrong.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Traffup and Headliner are very different.   I can see why Google doesn't like Traffup - you are creating artificial visits from people who have no interest in your content.  I suspect Traffup is counter-productive anyway - most members will visit sites for a few seconds at best, which will do awful things to the bounce rate! 

Headliner asks members to retweet.  You don't have to visit the site linked to.   If you do, it's probably because you want to check whether it's worth retweeting - in which case, you are going to stop and read the material.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago

I have a Wordpress.com site so I signed up and gave it a try. 

I think it would be worthwhile if it continued to be a way of sharing genuinely worthwhile posts, but I saw a lot of rubbish and it was irritating to dismiss so many in order to get to the good stuff.  I suspect it's only likely to go downhill.   

I admit I hadn't thought about it before, but the other problem is that the setup is perilously close to being a traffic exchange.

1. electronician profile image91
      electronicianposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, its almost half way between being a traffic exchange and a link exchange, which made me wonder if the whole concept is a bit 'black hat' regardless of the quality of the content. I decided to sign up too to take the free credits and give it a try, but I haven't decided yet whether I'll continue using it.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Most of the stuff other people are sharing is not something I would post, and you have to pay to have more than one promo a month.

working