jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Spam on my feed page

1. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 2 years ago

I would like to know how someone, who joined five hours ago, whom I do not "follow" and would never dream of doing so, has managed to spam my feed with notification of a hub he has produced?

It is bad enough that HP insists on logging me out every couple of days, that I have to go through all the log-in process yet again, be faced yet again with the HotD full screen "in my face" (the irritation caused by which offends me sufficiently to guarantee that I will never read a HotD, BTW), and that yet again I have to perform more clicks to get out of that feed page to the pages that interest me. To be presented with internal spam on top of all that is really unacceptable!

Please can we have an option to take us immediately to the Account page when we log in and bypass all this irritating c__p! Oh, and preferably stop logging us out all the time!

2. tirelesstraveler profile image87
    tirelesstravelerposted 2 years ago

I believe logging off is a precautionary feature. Less likely to be spammers prey logged off. Anyone can look at our feeds and hubs. That is how we get aquatinted

3. Writer Fox profile image80
    Writer Foxposted 2 years ago

The notification about the published Hub was probably shared by someone you do follow.  Stop following the person who shared the Hub and you will no longer receive his recommendations.

To go immediately to your accounts page, just bookmark that page and you'll go right there.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Not only can we bookmark the page, I always have it up on a browser tab.  When I shut the browser down it remembers that tab and opens it again in the morning; if I've been signed out I merely put in the password and am at the accounts page immediately.

4. WriteAngled profile image91

There was no notification that anyone else had shared that hub.

Moreover, the person who wrote it has nil followers and is not following anyone.

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 2 years ago in reply to this

WF is never wrong. Best check again, WA.

Meanwhile, I shall return to my TM.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It could also be a topic that you follow.  Sometimes I also see them because of some other hub I have written or read about the topic.  I find the best way to handle this sort of thing is to report the hub as overly promotional. It allows me to do my civic duty at HubPages without actually having to hop hubs.

1. pauldeeds profile image
        pauldeedsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's my guess too.    The "feed filters" configuration is an oft-overlooked feature that you can use to control what can appear in your feed.  For example, you can prevent Hubs from appearing based on topics you follow if you like.

You can learn more about that here:

5. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 2 years ago

I actually quite like that my feed occasionally gets spammed with the total cr_p you mention.
    It lets me know that the HP coffers are still getting filled with meaningless junk that hopefully the Turkers will take care of. If not, I have the opportunity to flag it myself.
    Being exposed to this stuff helps us appreciate the good stuff that is published daily.
    But, like you, I wonder why it ends up on my feed when I didn't ask for it to be there.

6. WriteAngled profile image91

I do either keep a tab open or select the URL to take me straight into my account. However, every few days or so, I find I have been logged out permanently and have to start the process again.

I am not, and never have followed a topic. My settings for anything to do with discussions, questions or hubs are not to have any notifications sent to me in any of the formats that can be selected.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

How odd - when HP says I need to log in again (every couple of days) I always end up, after the log in, where I was going - usually either the stats page or the forums.  Never the feed.

Could it be a browser thing?  I use either FF or Chrome...