Featured? What?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I stopped writing to be featured. And guess what?

My readership is increasing. Why?

Just assume I am a self righteous dognosed prick. Why would my readership increase? Why am I gaining followers by the day? I am black balled by publishers and here included. But why do they allow me to keep going?

Why do i attract readers?

My expert tells me that when I go commercial that I can retire if I write one article a day. That is crazy but he is willing to work for free for a cut.

What is it about the net that allows such foolishness? I can just write here and let someone push my stuff and not work.
    400 hubs and over half featured.and that is enough? HP is awesome. Life is awesome. And hard work is awesome.
    And what the heck is this thing called social networking? I am going to make money off something called "twitter"? and all I have to do is comment four times a day?
    I am telling you this world is crazy. I am just going back to living under a bridge cuz you folks are nuts.

Are you seeing the same thing?

2. Lowdown0 profile image82
    Lowdown0posted 10 years ago

I know I'm trying to make sense of it too, but loving the opportunity to write, cause I love to write. Makes me keep searching the net, seeing what other thing I can make money doing?

I found one where I comment in a forum sort of like this and I get paid for each post. Will this taint my responses, I don't think I can be so trite. It's to think or no to think. Hopefully no-one gets hurt in the process. Some people step in front of the ball at the plate though, and Wack!

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was hoping to get across that you can do just that: Write. And if you just write you not only have a place to write but also after a rather short time (I consider 18 months short) You can have enough done to do well.

3. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

That is interesting, Eric. Some of us get the same, sometimes. Each and every time I ever tweet about either one of mu hubs or someone else's that I happen to like, there is always an increase of views.

I recently streamlined my twitter following more towards writers, writing and my own writing niches - and my tweets are getting more read.

Maybe it is a niche thing, or whatever genre or niche you write about. Just a thought.

I could of course be wrong, and it is something happening in twitter that I am not aware of.

Either way, don't lose heart.

While making a point -- I was serious about twitter -- I have know idea about it. But people tell me we will use it to generate traffic. OK.

4. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

Congratulations on your growing readership:). Maybe it just took time for people to discover you. All the stuff you wrote about Twitter, etc, has led me to think I should do that stuff, too. I knew about these things but your comments helped to connect the dots. Maybe people read you because they learn from you, just like I did right now.

Hi! Grand nice Lady,
      Well I am starting to get excited about networking and marketing. If I just look at it as an art form I can stay tuned for at least a little bit ;-)

5. Zabbella profile image75
    Zabbellaposted 10 years ago

Hello, I have not been on H.P. for a few months, and that inactivity has hurt my views, at least that's what the little number near my profile suggests.  There is something to be said about being active and just trudging on with hubbing. I have gotten on some forums where they challenge you with writing...Haiku...
    wow, have not done that in  quite a while, either. 
    I enjoy writing and I really enjoy sketching.  I think that because I enjoy illustrating my own hubs,  I have hit a dry spell.
    I have to find my muse again.  I have to get my numbers back into the 90's!!!
    I don't tweet (?) or  twitter.  I enjoy doing mind numbing fluff on Facebook.

Great comment. Priority is a mountain of a word. I love to write so that is a priority right now. Then comes making a living and then social networking. I am going to have to rearrange those a little.

6. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

What is an increase in readers? How many?

Keep sharing across twitter, facebook etc etc and you will be bound to get someone to click through and take a look..

Keep posting on the forums here and people will follow you..

You have 400 hubs yet have only got the 10k icon for views which says that you have very few views indeed on a daily basis for the length of time you have been here..

Driving traffic through social media is hard work and requires constant effort much like bubblethingy and the returns are minimal. Sometimes people get lucky and "go viral" or they create an image that keeps being repinned. But just tweeting and sharing is unlikely to make you "rich."

Some of us create a viable income online, but it is hard work and not what i would describe as being a secure income as we are very much at the mercy of Google. Some people get very lucky!

But more people believe that all they need to do is write and for some unknown reason they should suddenly gain millions of adoring readers and become rich! Then they complain that HP and all of the other platforms are to blame for them not reaching their dreams..............

Well I must say that HP is to blame ---- very much so!! I blame them for making me bring my writing into enough conformity to make it reach more folks in a better format.
      I blame them for making me set goals and reach them. I blame them for all my teachers here at HP.
      (Do not get me wrong, I will always strive to make them better ;-)

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying it doesn't work this way? sad

Hi nice lady --- it sure is working for me!!  And besides I get an online friend with online benefits, you.
        Sorry I must go slay some spider robots with my son.

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

No online benefits... Ive already had that discussion. Ugh.

7. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

Sorry if I go slightly off the original top here. It's useful if a hubber has either a free Twitter account and some hubbers and some other people in their preferred niche that they follow. Doing this will have the effect of making some of those readers come visit and check out your hubs or wherever you direct them.

Also, if you have a blog and it is also about your niche, or special area of interest, and again - if they like that kind of writing, they will come read your hubs. I get more traffic from outside HubPages than from inside HubPages by doing this.

Also a Facebook page that you have can funnel traffic to your hubs. A free Tumblr page (works as easy as Twitter) will also send people to your hubs. The secret is to not over promote or spam the hub links too much...

There are also other ways such as using Pins of pictures from our hubs. I optimize my hub pictures so they will lead people back to my hubs.

My traffic goes generally up a small amount each time I promote or write new hubs.

There are lots of ways to encourage traffic and reads of hubs.

1. Zabbella profile image75
      Zabbellaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for that information.  I do not have a Pintrest account,  because I did not know what to do with one. You just gave me a wonderful idea.

2. Ericdierker profile image44

I got this funny feeling. And it could be because that is how I view them. I like them as people and they write/right from inside and share feelings and thoughts with me.

Probably not a good way to make a living, or is that "not a good way to make money", there is a difference.

8. erorantes profile image48
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

Congratulation on your 400 hubs. It is a lot of writing. Im sure a lot of people learned good things from your writing. Thank you for sharing your articles.

I just love to write, Billy and HP taught me some discipline. And then I gota addicted to writing. So it is not such a narrow path.
      Thank you for joining in and it is now 402 published and nearly 500 total.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)