Should I come back?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Glamorously Jacob profile image61
    Glamorously Jacobposted 10 years ago

A couple years ago I joined HubPages and had a really great experience on this platform. I like the social interaction, the sense of community, and the fact that I can focus on writing while someone else focuses on the technology that powers the content.

However, I made the decision to move my content to my own personal blog. While I've enjoyed having my own domain and more control over branding and content development, I still miss the sense of community I had when I was at HubPages (which I don't get on my blog, I get the traffic, but I don't get the interaction).

I'm seriously contemplating migrating my content back over and restarting my writing efforts again.

Thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you like Schmidt on New Girl?

1. Glamorously Jacob profile image61
        Glamorously Jacobposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL, don't have a clue who that is!

1. profile image0

You should google him.

1. Terrye6454 profile image59
            Terrye6454posted 10 years agoin reply to this

He looks exactly like him! Haha oh wow!

1. profile image0

Schmidt is totally into men's grooming, fashion and health... like Jacob's bio. They seem like they would be bff's.

1. Alex Addams profile image91
                Alex Addamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe even boyfriends!

1. profile image0

Sorry, he's all about the girls. He does say things like Chu-ten-y for Chutney, and he is very serious about exfoliation... he is a bit flamboyant, but he is extremely enjoyable.

1. Alex Addams profile image91
                    Alex Addamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's what they all say...ohhhhh human nature.

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image62
      AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back!
      Your hubpages sub domain is probably penalized by Google as It doesn't like a lot of missing pages.
      And you lost all the links that were pointing to your hub, and you probably lost the age benefit.
      You should try writing new hubs and see how they perform, or create a new account.
      Good luck!

2. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

Well I came back and found that my skills had matured a bit more and that the money is better here than it used to be for me! Having said that, I used to write boring copyspeak seller hubs (which do poorly at present on Hubpages) and now I write lovely long writing pieces I am proud of, that seem to work for me.

My advice is to leave it all up on the blogs and come back here to try it on with some new hubs and see what it is like for you. Once the link juice is gone, it's a long time to get it back, so you wouldn't make the decision to move your blog articles lightly.

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can write pages monetized with Amazon that are informative and helpful rather than mere copy written stuff like:  'and this is a lovely blue one from Generic Marketing Products, buy it now!!!'

Info will always be in demand.

Anyway, traffic is back to okay levels for many people. For savvy writers there is money to be made.

3. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Why move your content if it is doing well on your own blog just so you can join the "community". You can leave it where it is and still join the merriment here - merry Christmas by the way..

4. Glamorously Jacob profile image61

Thanks all! I know, I'm debating the move my blog content or not, but I do prefer to just have one place to write content, rather than maintaining multiples.

1. AMAZING THINKER profile image62
      AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What if Hubpages decided to shut down?

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bear in mind that if you move the blog content, you'll have to delete it then wait for it to be de-indexed (or submit requests for Google to take it all down ), otherwise HubPages will unpublish it for being copied content.

Also bear in mind that any page rank or links those blog posts collected will be gone.  If they were appearing in Google search results, they will disappear and have to start at the bottom again.

Of course, if your blog wasn't doing well then all that is irrelevant!

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I came on to suggest Jacob just leave his blog alone and let it sit if it's making money. He could just begin again on Hubpages now.

But I see Marisa is here too. I can't recall my password on Helium. Plus now that I think of it, they did use 3 of my articles and made money off them, and that was what made me angry with them, not to mention the "grading" of people's writing.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure there's a place to recover your password, most sites have one.  It's worth doing - you may be annoyed with them but why let them continue to make money off your existing articles without getting your share?

5. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Here Schmidt makes an online dating profile for himself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkf5SSdfQYA

6. Patsybell profile image82
    Patsybellposted 10 years ago

Yes. Since you enjoy it, that is a good idea. Plus, you might make a buck or two. I like writing about gardens and gardening. And I like all the other gardeners who are writing here. I think it keeps us all sharp.

7. Glamorously Jacob profile image61

I'd have backups! Beth, Schmidt is hilarious!

1. profile image0

Yeah, he is.

8. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

It is a good job, Jacob is a good sport.

1. profile image0

What is a good job?

1. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Banking still ranks.

1. profile image0

Sometimes I feel we both speak English... and sometimes, I just don't know.

9. Alex Addams profile image91
    Alex Addamsposted 10 years ago

So I'm officially back under a new name. I'm going to use my real name--I think it's good branding when building a niche.

I'll start writing some new hubs, and I'll contemplate migrating some of my blog content (I know some of you are against that idea). I just like not having to manage multiple sites.

10. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years ago

Jocob, maybe you could do both, keep your blog and HP too.  I for one would really welcome you.

11. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years ago

Jocob, maybe you could do both, keep your blog and HP too.  I for one would really welcome you.

12. Ali Darakhshaan profile image49
    Ali Darakhshaanposted 10 years ago

That's right. Keep the blog and HP too. One reason I wanna say is that HP will be the proof that an article belongs to you, if it is copied by someone else. You can change the post's date on your own website but not on HP. Having both will be great.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Marisa,
      You are right, I am only hurting myself, I'll find out the password.

In the past month I have noticed my HP $ has been improving. I made only the minimum payout last month, but am almost past that already this month. So that's good. I still do not intend to add any new content, it's too time consuming and aggravating to change all my hubs when changes come.

For me it seemed my traffic dropped like a stone when I got two EC hubs. I opted out. I opted back in about three weeks ago. I do notice less people on those hubs, and both have many similarities in writing style as parts of a series, so can't figure out whey they were chosen and the others in the series were not. But even with blue down arrows on the EC hubs, my money is up. Are others seeing encouraging signs?

13. profile image0
    Ritesh Nisharposted 10 years ago

I think the best practice is to use both as both has their own advantages and disadvantages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)