jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

What Happened to Civil Decorum on HP?

1. ziyena profile image85
    ziyenaposted 3 years ago

Wow ... After witnessing a very recent discussion on a heated topic, I'm so blown away!!!  A few years ago when I joined HP, the writers and discussion groups were so professional, no matter the difference in opinion, we still held respect for one another and treated each other with decency. Is this new lack of mutual disrespect with SOME of our writers while in feed or forum possibly a new found attitude adopted from less professional sites like Bubbleblews, or do we just not care anymore? Wanting to know peeps because I'd love to see some changes for the better as far as social interaction! Concerned HP member ... hugs

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
      PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't know which forums you participated in a few years back, but it's always got heated on HP forums in my experience.  I try to see it as people being passionate, though that's not always easy.  If people start getting too personal or abusive, they normally end up getting a ban or suspension.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image62
      MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The thread you are talking about didn't have any name calling... No one was personally attacked...Not sure what you found so upsetting.

2. ziyena profile image85
    ziyenaposted 3 years ago

I just recently witnessed a discussion about religion and sexual orientation ... that got real ugly.  People were  I just don't remember people acting like this at all.  Thanks for your input  smile

To answer your question MELISSA BARRETT ... yes, there were personal attacks in that discussion about religion and sexual orientation.  Case in point ... Here's a qoute from one person in particular.  Maybe you might remember this relpy when someone kindly asked another to stop harrassing because that person didn't want to get banned: 

"I can live happily knowing you're banned. Of course I don't really care if you post or not. You really don't hold enough place in my life that I care about anything you do.  You just aren't that important to me, one way or another."

As I said, Some writers on HP have lost civility, and downright childish manner, and even as I would classify as narcissistic.  Sometimes I don't think people truly understand how they represent themselves.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image62

Oh, that wasn't thread related... that was a comment to an off-topic out of the blue attack. You can't really blame HP because some of it's posters have...err...issues. There are nutjobs everywhere on the internet.

But yes, I did say that. smile

Just as an aside, you know they can track IP addresses... right?

ziyenaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I work with a major cable, internet, and communications company. 
        Technical support
        I so want to laugh right now

1. MelissaBarrett profile image62

Ah, so you work in a call center? I did "technical support" for a major communications company too... When I was in college.

It's obvious what your agenda is, let it go. Seriously.

My agenda is civility ... but you understand that don't you?  Good luck and God Bless you!!!

2. relache profile image89
      relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Those forums have always been like that.

3. WriteAngled profile image93
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

The religious forums have always been ugly. Actually, I think the forums are fairly tame compared to what they were like some years back.

You said
    "Is this new lack of mutual disrespect with SOME of our writers while in feed or forum possibly a new found attitude adopted from less professional sites like Bubbleblews,"

Don't know what you mean by that. I haven't noticed any acrimonious debates on Bubblews.

4. ziyena profile image85
    ziyenaposted 3 years ago

Usually you find those "debates" in the comments section of a Bubblews post ... I've seen some really bad stuff there ... I've even seen it go as far as writers posting bubbles about other writers, or things about Arvind (lol).  Glad it doesnt go on here to that degree ... but just saying I was on Bubblews enough to watch for a few months on a daily basis the antics.  At any rate, this is just one site of many (in my opinion)  which is of less caliber than HP.  I brought up Bubblews as an example, and I'm sure there are many more reasons for lack of civility.  Thanks for your input WriteAngled!

5. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

We all have a choice to participate in or ignore the forums -- or we can ask for blessings with exclamation marks. To each his own.

lol  love it
      God Bless you too!!!

working