Happy Birthday Internet

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

The World Wide Web was born on December 25, 1990, when Tim Berners-Lee made the first hypertext communication.  He gave the WWW to the world for free.  It's the gift that just keeps on giving and has connected the world.

1. AMFredenburg profile image73
      AMFredenburgposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow!

2. Marchello profile image61
    Marchelloposted 10 years ago

Happy b-day internet and thank you Tim for this great base of informations.

3. srsddn profile image90
    srsddnposted 10 years ago

It was a great day for all of us. Thanks for sharing.

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can you imagine the world now without the WWW?  There would be no HubPages!

We do things so differently today than we did even ten years ago, and I think a lot of us have adapted to the new electronic age without giving it much thought. It's fun to watch old shows like "Matlock" and "Murder She Wrote" to see the differences in culture before the Internet, cell phones, and PCs/laptops. (Of course, J.B. was at the forefront, giving up her old Royal in favor of a PC, learning the ropes of using modems and borrowing gigantic "cellular phones" to make a call.....)

1. janshares profile image94
          jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm still adapting, AMF redenburg. LOL!

I hear you; I think I've caught up, and whammo! Along comes something new. --Aldene

4. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

lol. Was it deliberately timed as a Christmas gift? That's a nice idea. smile

5. Thief12 profile image89
    Thief12posted 10 years ago

Sorry! Pet peeve of mine, but... The Internet and the World Wide Web are not the same. Although Berners-Lee did finish the first website on December 1990 (posting the project in 1991), the Internet had existed since 1969. However, it was indeed in December 1969 that the first complete Internet connection was completed, so... Happy 44th Birthday, Internet! and Happy 23th Birthday, Web!

Technically that is correct.  I have a Hub, Quotes about the Internet, that gives the history about the merger of terms. 

One of these quotes from Peter Saffo is:
      "Each time you toss out a 'singing' greeting card, you are disposing of more computing power than existed in the entire world before 1950." Amazing!

Amazing is right!

Bill Gates said this in 1981: "640K ought to be enough for anybody."

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's very interesting! Thanks for that information.

Also, according to several WWII veterans I have interviewed, some small rudiments of what finally became Internet communications were in experimentation during World War II among USA fighting units. Military and govt officials wanted some kind of communications that would disconnect ("go offline" in today's jargon) fast and often in order to stymie the enemy. US military were apparently successful in that. And later, remember those s-l-o-w 14.4 and 28.8 bps modems we had as consumers?? - Our first connections surely went down fast and often in my city! I think the Code Talkers were probably more useful than "internet" experiments in WWII at the time, though. -- Just my opinion.

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
        Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Patty ...really interesting! Thanks for sharing that history. Merry Christmas!

6. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the post. Merry Christmas everyone!

1. edhan profile image37
      edhanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2014 to everyone!

7. profile image0
    Ritesh Nisharposted 10 years ago

Wow..thats really a good info...we are blessed...big thank you to the almighty for that.

8. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Very cool, Writer Fox. Thanks for sharing. In 1990, I used printed information, a rolodex, the 411 telephone operator, word-of-mouth, phone calls, and telephone books to get information.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89

At the Industrial Commission and Ohio State U., we had intranets in the late 1980s and early 1990s with email reaching workers only in a single building. No photos or graphics were transmitted, but a few people became skilled in creating images with punctuation marks.

We received data from National Institutes of Health on quarterly CDs. The Internet arrived here in 1996 and was a miracle and a time saver.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I remember those 'graphics' people made with punctuation marks, or Xs, etc!  They were fun.  A friend of mine was 'courted' by one of our IT experts, and walked in her office to find a big heart on her computer screen one day. 

They're still happily married, BTW!

That's good news - a lasting marriage!

9. Laura-n-Sasha profile image61
    Laura-n-Sashaposted 10 years ago

Just watched "jOBS" last night

Was it good?

1. Laura-n-Sasha profile image61
        Laura-n-Sashaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It was pretty good, but my husband - who has read everything about Jobs - kept stopping the movie to tell me who was who. Without him, I think I would have been lost.

I want to watch the movie with your husband.

10. livewirez profile image69
    livewirezposted 10 years ago

Happy Birthday Internet!

11. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Patty, et al -

Would anyone know what might have been used in the early 1980s that (definitely) connected people?  Back in about 1984 or so, an acquaintance of mine who was an early adopter in the embryonic days of home computers showed me how to connect with a discussion board of some sort. This was in (I assume) the DOS era, and he was having great fun posting comments to deliberately irritate someone else who was posting (gosh - maybe he grew up to be a Hubber!).

I'm positive it was in that time period, not later.

BTW - around the same time (1983 or so), had a fairly robust intranet system at the Austin American-Statesman; it allowed us to hyphenate and justify our copy, so we knew how many column inches it was, and then send it off to be edited, etc. We could also message other staff members. 

A few years later, we had a wide-area intranet set-up at TxDOT - we could send IM-type messages, even to other buildings across town, and tap into various internal databases. We also published an electronic newsletter that was available statewide to all offices (Texas has more than 250 counties). Interestingly, we had some of those things before we got our first fax machines. I remember several of us 'playing' with those when they very first hit our offices, to see how they worked (back then, they used rolls of thermal paper).  I left there in 1991, so those things were prior to that year.

1. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some businesses, and most universities had some form of internal networking prior to www becoming accessible.  In those early formative years, who remembers Prodigy, Compuserve and of course later, AOL?  You basically logged into their networks and it was like a mini www, with email, shopping and chats. 

I sold Real Estate in the mid '80s and remember the MLS computer consisted of inputting data from a green screen through a modem and getting a thermal printed list on that awful paper.  It was amazing high tech to our customers though, saving time by producing a list of just houses meeting their specific parameters.  Not everyone had access, as it was an add on service for the MLS.  Others just had books, and no way to search.

I heard about NewsNets and MailNets in the late 1970s and early 1980s that science fiction convention enthusiasts used in order to discuss conventions, new books, films, fanzines, etc. I never saw the discussions, but heard about arguments on these 'nets in reports in science and sci-fi magazines.

Patty - I think he was either on one of those, or maybe AOL.  Or both.  I don't remember what kind of computer he had (probably something like an old Commodore), but he was into science fiction (that's what registered with what you posted), and the AOL thing sounds familiar, too. 

Pensacola would be great - you've been there, haven't you?  Beautiful!  I edited my other post - was trying to respond to two people! Any idea of a timeframe?  Everyone n my family is freezing in Ohio this week.

It's in the 30s and 40s today and tomorrow in Central Ohio for the most part, but it has recently been below 20 degrees for too many days for my taste. I no longer have a garage, so am tired of scraping snow and ice and sliding on sidewalks.

I was in Central Florida once - when I was two years old! It rained the whole time. Pensacola is usually more sunny without being broiling, according to friends who have lived there. Not sure about a timeframe right now, tho.

That's what I'm hearing from the rest of my clan up there and from my HS friends. I'm one of the only defectors.   I will probably be there in late March or early April - I'll send you a message, in case you're still in town.

Pensacola is beautiful!  A friend of mine lived there for a few years, and I got to visit her for a long weekend. She simehow found a condo right on the beach so it truly was like living in paradise.  We also went briefly to Destin - which is beautiful, too, but has become trendy.  I can't wait to hear what you decide to do.  And don't forget about Texas!  wink

OK, all good.

One friend in Central Texas reports 100 degrees F daily for over three months straight every summer. I'll avoid that area. lol

Lol!  Well we did have one brutal heatwave in 2011 - but that was exceptional. It's drier here than on the coast (less humiid). It's 58 degrees here right now, and it was a gorgeous, clear day.  We do hit 100 degrees at times in the summer (have to be honest). I think they get those days in Pensacola, too, but probably have breezy nights.  Our summer nights are nice here.

How about at least coming here for visits - you know a couple of us here!

That would be fun smile

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Bingo!  I'm pretty sure I saw that person using AOL.  Thanks - I would not have gone to sleep tonight if I hadn't learned the answer!

2. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 10 years ago

Okay, in honor of the internet, I want you all to take just a moment and be silent, then do your best modem handshake impression, followed by another brief moment of silence...ready?   Go!

No fair explaining yourself to anyone within earshot, either.  wink

---------> * <---------

(That's the best I could do for the handshake)

2. snakeslane profile image81
        snakeslaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8603503.jpg

whirrrdingdingwhirr

1. bBerean profile image59
          bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

static
                 static
                        static
                               screech
                                        static
                                               screech
                                                        tone.............ah, music to our ears!

That's it!

3. SEEMA AQUA profile image59
      SEEMA AQUAposted 10 years ago

happy Birthday Internet

4. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

"The World Wide Web has become in a few years the largest cultural endeavor of all times."
      – Ricardo Baeza

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)