jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

HubPages is Missing Traffic from AllTop.com

1. That Grrl profile image79
    That Grrlposted 3 years ago

I was just looking at AllTop.com (a well known site and decent place to have your content base listed). I found a topic dedicated to Squidoo posts. There were sections for each of their categorized posts, the top in each category/ topic. http://squidoorati.alltop.com/

Of course I searched for HubPages to see what we have there. Well, nothing as far as I can tell.

Why not?

1. psycheskinner profile image79
      psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That would be up to Alltop.  If you are a member there you could suggest it.

That Grrlposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm quite sure Squidoo itseff runs the feeds there. I posted it for the HubPages team to consider.I don't want to run a feed for everyone here, I'm not being paid as staff.

1. psycheskinner profile image79
          psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It will be running of an API (application program interface).  They don't need permission to use it.

Yes. Just as my site is listed and I don't need to do anything to manage it. But, I'd guess it was set up by staff. They would have the links for the right feeds for their top tens.

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

News aggregators that pull in blog feeds aren't worthwhile backlinks as they just regurgitate stuff and don't add anything new.  It's probably better we aren't linked to from AllTop.com.

Here's how the industry reacted when the site launched. 
      Guy Kawasaki Formally Launches Alltop. Wow, It's Bad.

Quantcast says they get about 7000 unique views per month.  There are single subdomains on this site that get more traffic than that.

What do they regurgitate? They only post links to the original content. To quote a negative post from the site launch is kind of silly. First, there were positive posts and there are always people who want to rip into something new. Second, it launched, it must be over 5 years ago now. I was invited to join at the time.

What relevance are statistics about page views to the site itself? I get several hits from there to my site, weekly. Not bad as far as my traffic has been lately.

People here want to sit back and wait for Google to find them through keywords. There are other options but it seems someone must always knock them instead of actually doing something, or trying anything outside of waiting for Google.

working