jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

From Rejected to Featured -- A Senseless Scenario

1. frogpatch profile image80
    frogpatchposted 2 years ago

I have an account that is around 6 years old. I opened a second account under my real name so I could add particular hubs to my portfolio. I had nine featured hubs on my first account and only two on my second. I wrote an article for my new account and was told it had to be reviewed. Then it was immediately rejected for not being up to standards. I tried in vain to get anyone to tell me what was wrong with it. They just sent me a Hubbers Guide and said I should shoot for a certain level. I moved the article over to my other page and the following day I got an email congratulating me for having ten featured Hubs. They said only 6 percent of Hubbers achieve that. If it was not good enough to be accepted for one account, why was it featured on the other? I even had other professional writers revier it and they said it was a well written piece.

This scenario has created two issues:
    The first is that I have a blog where I help retirees and older displaced workers to learn to write as a supplementary income. I tell them that the best place to build a portfolio is Hubpages. I do not feel comfortable recommending this site after that debacle.
    The second is that I am afraid to write another article on the newer account as it will be rejected for no good reason. There goes my specialized portfolio.

I would like to contact the administration about this but the only contact I have is Team@hubpages where I received no help at all. What is going on here and what can I do to prevent this from happening again to me or to someone I recommend here. I have already sent many new writers over from LinkedIn as well and do not want anyone of my groups members to get upset.

Thanks for any feedback.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Any human-based assessment method has a level of inconsistency between raters.  I can see that they do training and provide guidelines to try and minimize this but it will still happen that on person will fail a hub while another person would pass it.

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
        paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm pretty sure that is just what happened to me. I've learned to not submit hubs at 4:30 AM. Whoever is "on duty" then is a pr...

2. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

A case like this is what is preventing me from writing anything new that won't fit in with one of my websites. I'd do a lot more writing here if I didn't keep hearing problems like this.

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The people who vet articles for the QAP are human beings.  Although HubPages has detailed quality standards, judging is subjective.   You just got a different assessor the second time.

I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it either, but not for the reasons you mention.   When you say "portfolio", what do you mean?  If you mean a body of work which they can then use to get freelance work, then I think HubPages (or any revenue-sharing site) is the wrong place. 

In the days when HubPages used a large photo on our Hubs (with a link underneath to read our other Hubs), and our profile could include hyperlinks, it was easier to promote yourself as a writer here.  Now, the navigation deliberately downplays the writer as individual, and encourages the reader to visit other profiles and other Hubs instead. 

I can't see why any writer would try to create a portfolio on what is so obviously a shared amateur site, when they could set up their own site on Blogger or Weebly for the cost of a domain in their own name (less than $10 a year) and present themselves as a professional.

frogpatchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have a blog that I use for my portfolio. It has a list of links to published pages all over the internet divided into categories like Contracting, Environmental, Legal, and my best foot forward entitled Featured.. If I want to write on a topic that I have never written about for a client, like local history for example, I write a couple articles and place them on Hubpages, Squidoo or elsewhere. Than I add a section to my samples page of links for the day when someone wants a writer in that niche.The only other way would to type a blog post, or separate page on my site. Pages create tabs that clutter my Nav Bar and my blog posts are reserved for showing my lighter side. ..
        For a start up writer using sites like Hubpages or Squidoo can help to show their ability in a niche area prior to being published and even afterwards. These can be linked to from Blogger or Weebly. That is how I started out seven years ago after being downsized. Today I write full time and am also an SEO Marketing Strategist.for a new social media site.  The average person looking for a writer is only concerned with the writers ability and style. They are not usually writers themselves and don't have a clue what Hubpages is. I am living proof that it does work.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
          Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, I thought you were suggesting these writers should be creating their portfolio ON HubPages.  Sounds like you're recommending they have their own blog as their main site, which is what I was saying.

frogpatchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Here we go again! I realized I needed to break a hub up into capsules, I was having a little trouble and decided to wait. I get an email from Hub Pages saying that if I make a few changes they will feature the hub. I come back to make them and my hub was suspended for substandard quality according to a second email. The hub had already been published for a year. And even longer because I had moved it over a year ago. I am livid about this inconsistent and unfair treatment. If a member of many years opens a new account they should not have to go through boot camp. If a hub is good enough to be featured it can't be substandard. I asked "team" to give me a way to contact the administration to file a formal complaint about this inconsistent policy and poor customer care with its canned replies. If not, I am finished here for good.  I do not have this kind of time to waste. I face tough editors regularly and never ran into a group like this.

@ Marisa - Just a simple misunderstanding. No love lost!

1. wilderness profile image97
              wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

"they should not have to go through boot camp"

It seems that multiple accounts have almost no connection between them.  Certainly earnings are not shared, nor are hubber scores.  You are asking that a connection be made between those accounts in order that new hubs not have to be checked by staff - do you know what that would take, programming wise?  Difficult, near impossible, easy, what?

As far as editorial staff, HP has none.  They check hubs, not for proper spelling/grammar, content or other things editors do; they check to verify it is appropriate for what they want to see here and appropriate for online material.  Appropriate in their opinion, not in yours or some other editor somewhere.

All of the information needed to write successful hubs is in the learning center; a few hours spend there learning what HP likes to see will pay very large dividends in both earnings and time spent correcting hubs that do no meet standards.  HP, just like you, does not have time to waste holding the hand of every new writer here and walking them through requirements and expectations; if you are too busy to read the information they have provided, perhaps you should look elsewhere for a place to put your articles.

2. frogpatch profile image80
    frogpatchposted 2 years ago

It is a shame because I was bringing people here. I am a full time freelance writer and know that rejection is to be expected. My voice will not always match the clients needs or I am given an assignment that I hate and it shows. Here I pick the subject so my voice should not matter nor should my style. I may miss a typo or use 'through' instead of 'thorough' and not see it but I will catch it after it is published. That is why there are proofreaders and editors. All writers do it on occasion. The Today Show spelled Walls Street across the bottom of the TV screen yesterday. But to have someone reject you with no explanation and then feature the same article the next day is just insane. I never heard of anything like this on here  a couple years ago..