jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)

Procastinating

1. thecorpojuggler profile image60
    thecorpojugglerposted 3 years ago via iphone

time management

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago in reply to this

So... they ARE related.

1. davidlivermore profile image91
        davidlivermoreposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I know!  I'm as shocked as you are.

2. Traci Ruffner profile image85
      Traci Ruffnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Being in school has helped to curb my procrastination problem.  It was a very big problem.

3. frantisek78 profile image85
      frantisek78posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Some people are just lazy and don't like doing certain things. Simple as that.

2. janshares profile image89
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Anxiety=Hesitation=Fear of Failure=Decreased Motivation=Procrastination

Just a theory.

1. NateB11 profile image92
      NateB11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am more apt to agree with your assessment here, Jan. It's a mental thing, as always. That's the actual correct place to start when it comes to any problem. I get a lot of things done without time management, just because I want to do them and I'm not afraid to do them. Conversely, some things I don't do because I have some hang-up about it. Or I just don't want to. I think people should look at whether they really want to do the thing they're not doing. Mostly, we do what we want, even when it doesn't appear to be so. So, my feeling is we should look at what we actually want to do. It will be an uphill and fruitless battle to force ourselves to do what we don't want to do all the time. We can keep trying "time management" but there's still going to be a struggle against the thing we really don't want to do. And trying to force ourselves to do something immediately implies we don't want to do it.

1. janshares profile image89
        jansharesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I like your thoughtful observations, NateB11. I complain all the time about not having enough time to get everything done. But it really is less about time and more about not wanting to commit to tackling it and just doing it. And behind all of the avoidance lies my theory above.

3. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Repeated obstruction also tends to encourage procrastination.

Indeed, well-put, especially when self-induced. But yes, those out of our control make us throw our hands up quick!

4. LeanMan profile image82
    LeanManposted 3 years ago

I'll post my answer next week.......

Aaaahhhha ha ha ha . . . . love it!

5. ChristinS profile image93
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

I also have a theory that it is a response to stress.  When the "fight or flight" response is triggered, procrastination is a way of "fleeing" from something you don't want to contend with.  I tend to procrastinate when I have deadlines coming up - quite counterintuitive, but deadlines stress me out smile  So, I try to get everything going very early to avoid getting to close to the stressful deadline that will cause me to panic and be more tempted to procrastinate.

Bravo, ChristinS. Great theory.

2. Goodpal profile image88
      Goodpalposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree Christin. We tend to avoid unpleasant or unrewarding things. When we tend to freeze under pressure, procrastination happens as a consequence.

6. janshares profile image89
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Sorry, OP, I didn't mean to take over your thread. Forgive me, carry on . . .

7. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 3 years ago

Do you mean PROCRASTINATING, with an "r"? That other word "procastinating" doesn't exist in the dictionary. S**t, reminds me, I must stop procrastinating and go to the bank before it shuts.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Stop procrastinating and write some hubs(note to m'self).  Just lazing around for the PAST 2 DAYS, shame on ME!
      http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8558442.jpg

working