jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Google Images new setup - protection for photos

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago

I found these very interesting posts on Pixabay's blog:

http://pixabay.com/en/blog/posts/hotlin … google-32/

http://pixabay.com/en/blog/posts/an-upd … ion-fo-41/

I'd suggest this is something HubPages should look into, if they haven't already.

It's great that Pixabay has been so open about their own experiments in this area.

1. LittleKnownStuff profile image76
      LittleKnownStuffposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for sharing this - going to implement this on a few of my sites right away

2. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

One of these Pixabay blog posts you included states that they removed watermarks from images as they thought it had a negative effect on CTR.
      Our official policy is that watermarks are not allowed on images on HubPages.

What features are you asking for related to images?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Matthew, you need to read the posts more carefully.

The new Google Image Search - where people can see and copy the full-size image without visiting the source - severely damaged Pixabay's traffic from that source. 

They sought to remedy that by introducing dynamic watermarks.  They don't appear on the images on the site - they're applied only if another site (including Google Image Search) tries to display the full-sized image.  That forces the viewer to click through to the original site to view the original. 

After a period of experimentation, they've decided that wasn't helpful, so now they're looking at other options.  I didn't follow the full explanation of the coding they're using but I assume you would.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 2 years ago

I'd love to see steps like this implemented on this site.

3. magictrickshq profile image60
    magictrickshqposted 2 years ago

Very interesting indeed. I am not sure it is heavily affecting my traffic or server, but good to know we have some options if we want to stop this!