jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)

Stolen Hubs

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image79
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 3 years ago

I was just wondering the latest on this? I have US copyrights on my material that I care about (poems, stories, etc) but I would still hate to think some of my material could be in a book somewhere with someone elses name on it. Is that a possibility?

1. Barbara Kay profile image87
      Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it can be in a book somewhere. One of my friends found a hub of hers in an eBook. She did get it removed, but I'm not sure how she did it.

I'm running into problems getting my hubs taken off blogs and sites. Google seems to be ignoring me and so are they.

1. Suzanne Day profile image97
        Suzanne Dayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Google seem to have a delay at the moment in processing DMCAs. They finally came back to me after filing a few weeks later. As someone told me, just be patient and they will take care of it.

1. Barbara Kay profile image87
          Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Suzanne, Thanks for letting me know.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image79
        Jackie Lynnleyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Wow, glad you told me that. We may not want to put things there we have hopes of publishing, or doing something else with hm?

1. Suzanne Day profile image97
          Suzanne Dayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'd just roll with it, put it up, file a DMCA and wait for Google to respond. If you have your stuff up and it is earning money, I think it is worth persisting with DMCAs to remove copied content as it's a long term passive income stream. Think long term. By the way, the DMCA/copied hubs issue is annoying, but it doesn't take up too much time at all.

Thank you for that info.

2. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Wow, never thought of that but it's very likely and hard to detect. I took down most of my stuff and published them. Since you have them copyrighted you should be able to recover them easily should that be the case.

True but not an easy thing probably without lawyer cost and so many people here have no real copyright that they could simply lose their hard work and personal property.

3. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Does this actually happen?  How can I tell if my hub has been stolen?  I doubt that would happen, but how could I check?

There are hubs on it no doubt and hopefully someone will come along and tell us but I am not sure anything could be 100%, say if it is printed in another country, a collection, changed titles, how many ways I don't know.

4. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If you post something on any writing site, expect to get it stolen.

There are thousands of would-be bloggers out there, too lazy to write their own posts. They want to make money in their sleep!  Writing sites like HubPages, which have a constant stream of new articles being published every day, are an obvious source of material for these thieves.  All they need is scraper software to copy and paste each new article as it's published.   

The more popular the writing site, the more likely it is that someone has written software specially designed to copy from that site, and is selling it to others - which multiplies the problem.

Very few of the posts on my blogs have ever been stolen, because I don't post often enough to be a worthwhile target.

So essential there is no way to stop the thieves? Someone should come up with a software that individual can buy to mark their writings and can be picked up by the owning if anyone uses it anywhere in full or part. They would get rich.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Considering this has been a problem for many years, I'm not holding my breath!   

The only thing you can do is to be vigilant about checking for copies. 

I like Copyscape, because you can paste in a list of all your Hubs and save it - then every couple of months, you simply run the scan again at the press of a button.  Some people don't like it because it costs money - around 5 cents per Hub per scan.  But considering the amount of money you can lose by allowing copies, it's worth it IMO.

There are free plagiarism checkers, one of which is Grammarly.com, but they're more effort to use. 

The only other thing you can do is stop using writing sites, and switch to your own blog - however if you do that, you need to choose just one subject and stick to it.  Blogs don't get search engine traffic if they're on random topics.

Thank you, I will look into those.

2. ahlaaliabbas profile image57
    ahlaaliabbasposted 3 years ago

Anything is possible

working