jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

The Waltons Revisited: The Baldwin Sisters

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image88
    Jacqueline4390posted 3 years ago

As I watch an episode of The Waltons: The Graduation; I see John Boy paying a visit to two very dear and lovely ladies. Their names are Miss Mamie and Miss Emily Baldwin. When Miss Mamie gives John Boy Ashley Longworth’s tie pin as a gift for his graduation; I too feel the longing and loneliness this dear sweet woman must be experiencing. These two ladies have always touched my heart as does the members of the Walton Family. It seems that no matter how many times I watch the early episodes, I laugh, cry and get angry right along with that cherished family.

I wonder how many others are being touched continuously by the members of The Waltons and who is your favorite character?

1. oz-vitez profile image82
      oz-vitezposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My mother insisted that I grow up with the Waltons. I've watched 90% of the episodes over the years, I would guess. I enjoyed Daddy and Grandpa Walton; it was also funny to see John Ritter as the pastor of the church in the show's early years.

However, I cannot say that I have a favorite character. They were all good and had plenty of meaning. Ah, The Recipe; cured all ailments.

One of my favorite episodes was when John-Boy spent his first day at Boatwright University. He forgets something important and calls Ike Godsey, asking him to send Daddy with the needed document.

Daddy eventually pulled up to the building where John-Boy was standing, along with some older college students. Daddy, of course, was dressed in dirty overalls and a broken down hat, driving the old family truck. As the older students make fun of Daddy and wondered whose father he was, John-Boy stepped up and thanked him for bringing the item, disregarding the snide remarks. John-Boy showed both love and admiration for his father, regardless of Daddy's humble life working at home in the sawmill. Powerful stuff.

Jacqueline4390posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree. That particular episode is one of my least favorite. I just don't like uppity people and it would really upset me when the guys would tease John Boy. Being the youngest of my family, I got my share of teasing. I was considered a Nerd because I like to read.

But having the early years of the Walton's on DVD allows me to watch the ones that I like. Mary Ellen was a bit much for me and Elisabeth was spoiled (just like me.)

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image95
      Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years ago in reply to this

OMGosh, I loved watching The Waltons. Every episode was packed full of down-to-earth truths of daily life in those times. John (Daddy) Walton was my favorite character -- Ralph Waite was perfect for the part. He was the strong patriarch who commanded respect, yet he was compassionate with a tender heart, and he still turned to his own Daddy (Grandpa) for advice when needed. The whole family was cast very well. All of my emotions were expressed with watching the series.

I think that is what I loved best about the Walton's. It was like they were my family. Now John Boy is my favorite family character. I was the age of Richard Thomas and being a writer myself, I could emphasize with the plight of needing a place to write although I am the youngest.

I just love those Baldwin Sisters. Their sweet innocence regarding the recipe was charming!

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image95
          Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I could relate strongly to John Boy, too, because I grew up in a family of seven kids and could rarely find a place of solitude to write or draw or just be myself. I was the middle middle middle child -- middle of seven, middle of three girls and middle of the four boys. The Baldwin sisters were so sweet and endearing. I loved it when they were on an episode.

WOW ... Talk about being in the middle of things! You were there. I am the youngest of 7 children. I hated being called "the baby." Still, I needed my space like John Boy.

How ever did you manage, Middle One?

working