Backlinks? URLs? SEO? Writing is the Easy Part.

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (31 posts)
  1. JoeYoung22 profile image87
    JoeYoung22posted 10 years ago

Since my steady stream of freelance work dried up a while back, I have looked into opportunities available in the world of Internet writing. What I found took me way outside of my comfort zone.

In the past, I was given a monthly quota of articles to write. I was comfortable with this- just write the stuff and email it to the site. Now I have to get to grips with terms like backlinking, SEO, URLs, Google AdSense, and all manner of other stuff, all of which is new to me.

Writing is the easy part - understanding all the marketing jargon is a right headache. But I’ll plod on.

I’m not expecting to make a fortune in this manner – I’m a realist – but I would like to maximise the opportunities that are available to me. So, did you find any such difficulties, or is all of this a breeze to you?

1. Tolovaj profile image87
      Tolovajposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same here. It took me a year to understand why my articles are not getting traffic and another six month to understand why they don't earn money. But the good part is I like to learn new things. So here I am:)

2. Organised Kaos profile image88
      Organised Kaosposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I hear you! Have just spent the last few months learning about SEO, backlinks etc and implemented them also.
      There has been a steady increase, nothing to write home about, but I do see results.
      But by goodness it's hard work and takes absolutely hours! I am looking forward to the "passive income" part of writing hubs!
      Good luck - and Content is King in the long run!

3. donotfear profile image85
      donotfearposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!!!  Yes, and I don't understand a bit of it.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have gone through the same thing, Joe, and I know it is not easy. I have been writing on the internet for over six years and there are still many things I do not understand. I just keep on keeping on and learn as I can. I write what I feel is quality and let Google take care of the traffic for me. If I see things that will help with traffic then I will revise a hub -- usually, I just write, submit and watch. I also depend a lot on the tips HP offers as I am creating a new hub or editing an old one.

5. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same with me!
      When I started writing Online, all these terms were new to me. My children helped me understand these terminologies a lot. I agree with you that writing is enjoyable, but after that the real test begins. I am still not very good at promoting my work. Still learning everyday!

6. kevinfream profile image68
      kevinfreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone finds it easy. And of course in lightning speed everything has changed and the buzz is now "content marketing" or "digital marketing".

Having Google Authorship setup is huge. URLs with keywords separated by dashes is next. After that, it really is good writing, along with formatting for reading online and compelling images or other media.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

My approach to content is to write it and let Google traffic come in.  Not spend hours trying to drive traffic.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

JoeYoung22   I felt exactly as you do when I first started writing online, but what I've learned is that the rules keep changing and it is impossible to keep up.  It is very hard to earn much writing on sites like this or even on blogs, so it is not worth worrying about.  Write well and write what you know, tweak where you can and then move on.  This venue just is not what it used to be.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
        IntimatEvolutionposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So is there a new type of venue to get  into?

No, no new venues other than Bubblews, which apparently has many caveats and is no place for serious writers who want real and continuing passive income.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

"Write well and write what you know, tweak where you can and then move on." Excellent advice TIMETRAVER2. Very simple and very true.

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Psyche - I write it and leave it alone.

I DID "go to school" for quite a while, learning about SEO and the rest of the marketing/jargon stuff though, and find it beneficial.  When I write, I write with that in mind.

3. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 10 years ago

I know what you mean. It took me awhile to get used to the non-writing part of Internet writing. It truly is more difficult; because it's not my forte. Of course, that's not saying I'm totally used to it; just a little more comfortable with it.

1. donotfear profile image85
      donotfearposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I hear ya!!!

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

You don't need to backlink or do any of that offsite stuff.

If you pay close attention to SEO and find a topic which doesn't have a lot of competition, your hub can do well.

If you choose to add backlinks, your hub possibly could do even better, but there is always the risk that Google might decide to penalise your subdomain and kill your traffic.

Better to just write the best hub you can and fingers crossed that it will beat out the higher-ranked competition.

Hubpages is a powerful platform, you should be able to achieve page 1 status  for a lot of topics. This should bring you a steady stream of traffic and earnings which add up over time.

All the more reason to choose evergreen topics.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Yes, evergreen topics are the best way to go for me. I agree Izzy, HP is a powerful platform and well worth the effort to hang in here. I love HP and enjoy the community.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

At first it is brand new, then you take it one step at a time and get used to each as you go along. Find out what you are having the most problems with and search for answers. Then practice, practice, practice.
    As you are improving on everything it is always new because there are constantly changes on the Internet which you have to get used to. You must take it all in stride.

6. JoeYoung22 profile image87
    JoeYoung22posted 10 years ago

Thanks for your replies everyone - much appreciated. I guess the thing to do is to keep driving the car and learn what the road signs mean along the way.

I've posted 17 hubs, and not earned much - but money isn't my motivation. I enjoy coming on here and I'll continue to keep on posting and learning.

Cheers smile

7. Claire Roach profile image49
    Claire Roachposted 10 years ago

Joe, honestly, it all just takes time.

It took me years and years to get my knowledge of SEO  etc up to scratch, it simply comes from asking questions and a loads of Googling!!

You will pick it all up in time, Google is your friend...

In the mean time, just keep writing good quality articles, then compare the difference between your highly scored hubs and low scoring hubs.

The main part to focus on is your title, this is what draws people in, think what YOU would put in a search bar.....most often titles are for instance:

10 ways to make your flowers last longer

but if you wanted your flowers to last longer what would you type in? probably something like...

How can I make my flowers last longer?

So for the title I would use the latter and then you can add the "10 ways" part in the subheading, which will also get shown in the search results but won't be the main focus.

Hope this helps smile

JoeYoung22posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It does help, Claire - especially that about the headings. I'll look at my existing hubs and maybe see if I can improve them that way. Thanks for taking the time to reply  smile

1. Claire Roach profile image49
        Claire Roachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome smile

8. profile image0
    writerlillyposted 10 years ago

I work in digital marketing so backlinks and SEO are what I deal with on a daily basis. Here's my advice: FOCUS on writing good content. Don't worry too much about the SEO.

Google is catching on and within the last two years has made two three algorithm adjustments as well as completely altered the algorithms. Google is giving penalties to sites that are getting their links from sites that used to be allowed to be used to gain backlinks like certain article directory-type places. Those might have been legit int he past but no longer today Thankfully, Hubpages is not in the category. They got hit long ago and have learned their lesson.

Focus on writing good quality content. Think about social places where you can promote it like Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or other places you think people might be interested in reading about it.

It'll take some time, a few months, for you to gather traffic, but just keep at it.

Thanks for your encouraging comments, writerlilly. I shall indeed keep at it smile

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

writerlily:  Yours is the best advice I have seen.  When you get so buried in SEO, etc. you lose your focus.  Yes, there are a few simple things you can do such as good titles, etc...but the real focus should be on good quality...which means well organized, well written hubs on articles that may be of interest.  Even then, making much money for most will be limited, but at least your work will be read and appreciated.

ClaireRoache:  Your advice is excellent and has caused me to go back through every hub to make some corrections that I think will improve things for me.  Thank you.

9. Room of My Own profile image91
    Room of My Ownposted 10 years ago

One of the things I learned about writing online is that there's a big difference between writing for a print reading audience and writing for a web reading audience. Snappy headlines, rich language and clever puns aren't always conducive to writing for SEO.
    Good luck with your online writing adventures! I know I've had a lot of fun being a part of this and many other online writing communities!

This is a good point - and one I didn't pick up on immediately. I used to edit a magazine for a local business forum, and I was fortunate enough to get an interview with Trevor Baylis, inventor of the wind-up radio. For the magazine's purposes, the headline 'Clever Trevor' was ideal, but this would be useless if I reproduced the interview online. In that case, a more informative 'Trevor Baylis Interview' would be better.

Thanks for commenting.

10. Vik Beluso profile image68
    Vik Belusoposted 10 years ago

I totally agree with this.  What attracted me to writing was precisely not having to mess with marketing etc..., but there you go.

11. web-tools profile image40
    web-toolsposted 10 years ago

Writing has become easy when you have researched a lot and full of information on particular topic.

Everyone is expert in their field, one more thing, people always think their work hard in comparison to other work.

Creating Backlinks, SEO, URLs and writing are different activities.

Here is the hierarchy:

SEO > URLs>Creating Backlinks

SEO> Content Marketing> Writing

12. magictrickshq profile image61
    magictrickshqposted 10 years ago

Traffic is a hard thing to generate overnight.

I try to comment on lots of other blogs in my niche, especially if they have comment luv.

Also becoming well known in your niche will earn you backlinks because the people know and trust what you write.

It takes time.

I also use google keyword planner to see what words get traffic and market samurai to see if I can get on page one off google.

If you are interested, I have written a few posts on my blog on this.

<link snipped>

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)