jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Important Morguefile.com Info

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago

I have been in touch with the people at Morguefile.com with regards to how they want people to give credit to the photos they use.  On another forum there has been a considerable amount of confusion about this, but in addition to the guidelines they list on their site, this is the final word for those of us who write online:

You are free to use the photos unedited because the photos are creative fodder for the articles and not the main content, so they aren't using them in a stand-alone basis // including them in an article is a "creative adapation." Including them amidst text and other content counts as an edit or alteration. You're fine, this is in agreement with the License.

To be honest, very few photos on the site require a model or property release, I just always write it in the emails to be clear with people.

Sorry this is so confusing; we don't mean to throw "new news" on you. I do believe that somewhere on our website, we should make a list of commercial VS. non-commercial uses for images, to clarify.

2. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 2 years ago

I thought that was the case. Makes more sense.

3. Purpose Embraced profile image91
    Purpose Embracedposted 2 years ago

Thanks for the information TIMETRAVELLER2.

4. janshares profile image86
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Thank you for getting information from the horse's mouth, TIMETRAVELER2. The MorgueFile response correlates with the responses I received directly from the photographers I contacted who said use whatever I want and I don't have to ask.
    The confusion has caused us so much unnecessary frustration. Great suggestion for HP to clarify this in the Learning Center, which is the first stop for hubbers who are trying very hard to do the right thing.
    Thanks again for your persistence in getting it straight.

5. AliciaC profile image98
    AliciaCposted 2 years ago

Thank you very, very much for this news, TIMETRAVELER2. I've been following the discussion about morgueFile with alarm because I've used a lot of their images on my hubs. The way in which their license was being interpreted in the forum sounded so strange to me. Still, I was preparing myself for the huge job of going through my hubs and changing images. It's such a relief to read the mail that you got!

TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

AliciaC   I only wish I had waited for this news.  I corrected 400 plus articles on HP, Bubblews and my Blog and NOW it gets straightened out!  I just did not want anybody else to have to go through what I went through...which is why I started a separate thread on this one.  People are very quick to give advice, and they mean well, but I've learned it's always wise to do your own homework on issues like this.  This is not the first time someone's "advice" drove me down the long, tedious road of  unnecessary article repair.

6. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 2 years ago

The confusion arose because Morguefile's own guidance on the matter seems to imply otherwise:

"The morguefile license is specifically for designers and illustrators to use the images in a creative process creating work of their own. If you would like to use the image in a blog post, we recommend contacting the photographer and providing a by line under the photo with the photographer's name. This is generally agreed to be acceptable."

TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree that they need to clean up their definitions, but some of the HP authors muddied the waters with assumptions rather than facts.  Now we all have the facts right from the source, and I hope they help everybody, at least with the Morguefile photos.