jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Is it cool to answer your own request?

1. Tom Rubenoff profile image88
    Tom Rubenoffposted 7 years ago

Could not find an answer in TOS or FAQ or any other sets of initials.  Thanks

1. Trsmd profile image59
      Trsmdposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes... You can answer your own request...

2. dcmerkle profile image60
    dcmerkleposted 7 years ago

Darn! Wish I had seen this just seconds earlier. It answers my question on the very came thing, but can you take down your request?

3. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 7 years ago

Actually, it's considered sort of tacky to make a request and then answer it yourself.

After all, if you want to make the Hub, just go ahead and make it.

1. dcmerkle profile image60
      dcmerkleposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I see your point, but if you've made a request and there doesn't seem to be any bites then it's still open. I think I'd rather be tacky then left hanging.tongue

** I see that it was answered, so I saved myself from tacky and I'm not left hanging, but I am feeling stupid...lol

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If you know enough to write the answer, why did you ask the question, I wonder?

I'm still a bit bemused as to what benefit requester gets from making a request - other than the warm fuzzy feeling that they've given other Hubbers some inspiration?

1. Pest profile image60
          Pestposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I haven't made any requests, but for me I would like to see another humorous view on a topic now and then.  A reason to answer your own request would be:  You have a question about a topic, then later you find the answer to that topic.  I can see that being a good reason to answer your own request.  But then again i am tacky. .. and antagonistic.

1. Pest profile image60
            Pestposted 7 years ago in reply to this
  4. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image93
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 7 years ago

As a cucumber.

5. bgamall profile image86
    bgamallposted 7 years ago

I don't think it is tacky at all. You might get some ideas to build on. Not saying you should copy someone else's hub, but you could get a spark of an idea. It would be a learning process.

But someone said it was tacky so I probably won't do it.  big_smile

6. Frieda Babbley profile image79
    Frieda Babbleyposted 7 years ago

I'm all with the tacky part.  But if no one was answering the question and I had gotten some info on what I was asking, then I would remove the request, which you can do, and then write my hub, not linking it to my request, which I would have removed.

Now, it could be that someone already has written a hub on a topic and requests that topic because they are curious to see other sides or another's view of the topic.  But in that case they wouldn't be answering their request, they should write it separately.