jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)

HP Sponsored Contests...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

No more contests???????

The latest one I was able to find listed was from 2012.

Has the concept been eliminated?

1. Jodah profile image87
      Jodahposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The only one I have noticed still going is the one the have on a specific topic for new hubbers, I think once each month.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image94
      Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I enjoyed them. I remember some people complaining about favoritism in choosing the winners. Perhaps that was part of the reason they were discontinued.

3. Heather Says profile image97
      Heather Saysposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I only participated in a contest once, but I did happen to win.  Or rather one of my recipes won wink  I was just transitioning to writing food Hubs at the time and winning was definitely a special touch that kept me motivated and writing.  Two years later, I'm still writing food and recipe Hubs.  I have to admit, a contest would be fun again.  A little fun competition always gets me inspired and performing at my best.

2. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Some of those contests were good. Bringing them back could be fun.

1. Barbara Kay profile image87
      Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

+1

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
      DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Agreed, paradigm!

3. M K Paul profile image45
    M K Paulposted 3 years ago

I wish that HP continues the competition. I was more than happy by getting selected as a rising star in the very first month of my association with HP.

4. tillsontitan profile image90
    tillsontitanposted 3 years ago

Contests are challenging and its not the winning that matters.  It would be nice to see one or two return at least.  Good thoughts Ms Lizzy.

1. Robin profile image
      Robinposted 3 years ago in reply to this

We have been talking about doing another contest in the next few months.  We would all really like to do one, but we have been so busy with other projects.  We will let you know as soon as we know anything.  Any suggestions on contest themes?

1. Jodah profile image87

That's great news. Thank you for replying Robin.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image60
        MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I still like the stellar hub contest idea... A "biographies" or "History of..." would be fun too.

3. profile image0
        Ben Blackwellposted 3 years ago in reply to this

A day in the life of Ben Blackwell.

4. Barbara Kay profile image87

Wonderful. I'll be awaiting the contest.

5. tirelesstraveler profile image84
        tirelesstravelerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Robin.  Hope you all get some free time.  One idea might be to have us come up with a contest.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image92

Exactly so, tillsontitan!  It's not about winning, it's just fun.

1. Robin profile image

I agree!  They are fun.  They're a lot of work on our end, but fun!  We will do our best.  smile

2. Sherry Hewins profile image94

The best thing about entering a contest is that sometimes you get a great hub out of it. That's prize enough. My most popular hub was written in response to a weekly inspiration topic.

1. Robin profile image

I agree!  For me, creating a Hub that I'm proud of and that I think will be helpful is more rewarding than the possible income it could generate.  smile

5. Robin profile image
    Robinposted 3 years ago

Thanks, Melissa.  The Stellar Hub Contest is always a good theme.  I'm always trying to think of ways to incorporate education into the contests. I was thinking of maybe a viral Hub contest to educate Hubbers on creating viral Hubs or a Pinterest contest on creating pin-worthy images. I like the idea of focusing on a category like history, too.

What do you guys think?

1. Writer Fox profile image79
      Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think designating such a narrow topic would not be a good idea.  That would mean flooding HP with Hubs about the same thing and the search engine results would not be good for most of those Hubs.

6. Sue Adams profile image91
    Sue Adamsposted 3 years ago

Hi Robin,
    About education.
    Do you mean educating hubbers to write more successful (viral) hubs or do you mean we are in a position to educate the public about important issues like, for example:

Sustainable energy, fracking etc.
    The meat and dairy industry
    Urban polution and property speculation next to slums (see China / Brazil)
    Economics (banks, business practices etc.)
    Poor parenting
    Central Africa
    Deforestation

etc
    etc to just name a few topics of concern

Unfortunately such topics may not be very commercial unless we could attract advertisers of revolutionary green products like local organic farms, electric cars, solar panels and wind turbines manufacturers?

I think it would help HP to nurture a reputation for wanting to make a change.

The main Heading could be "How to Make a Difference" or  "Going Green", with various subcategories.
    Just thinking...

Sue

1. Barbara Kay profile image87

I wrote one on fracking and it gets almost no traffic.

7. Robin profile image
    Robinposted 3 years ago

Hi Sue,
    Sorry that I didn't explain myself better!  I meant educating Hubbers - not that educating the public on matters that you laid out is not important!  I like the idea of writing on world issues.  I will keep that in mind.

I have written several hubs about "world issues," at least those that affect the USA...crooked political dirty tricks used in various industries that are virtually monopolies, such as "Ma Bell," PG&E, cable TV, Insurance, etc...
      I was hoping to educate folks to action with those topics, but, it seems no one wants to know.  Those hubs get extremely little traffic, averaging less than 600 total views, as opposed, for example, to my article on non-poisonous flea and tick remedies, which has nearly 2K views in less time.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image94

I agree, an article I wrote on Net Neutrality gets a lot fewer views than one I wrote on browsing the web while using the potty. People don't want to think too hard.

It's the Dumbing Down of America.  The schools are teaching to tests, and failing to teach critical thinking, apathy is everywhere--folks don't realize, or worse, don't care--that their actions and votes can make a difference, but they just can't be bothered.
            Everyone is so wrapped up in being glued to the TV, their cell phones, and shallow-interest topics such as "hot" celebrities and stupidity the likes of "Honey Poo-Poo," (yes, I spelled it that way on purpose!), that this entire country is going down the tubes. 
          But as long as they can stay inside their bubbles of fantasy, they don't care.
          It infuriates me, but I'm only one person, and I feel as if I'm railing against the proverbial brick wall, and/or preaching to that oft-referenced choir.

1. Sue Adams profile image91
            Sue Adamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

How right you are Liz. But believe me, you are not the only one. With more of us on board we may be able to break the brick wall of apathy.

8. Sue Adams profile image91
    Sue Adamsposted 3 years ago

So what are we here for?

1. Jodah profile image87

I'd much rather a competition like you suggested, educating everyone on important world issues like climate change, rather than educating new hubbers on how to write or try to increase their Hubber score etc.

Thanks Jodah, HubPages is a unique opportunity to make a real difference. We should embrace it, use it , and expand it so that manufacturers of "good products" will know where to go. Altruism does not exclude a good business sense.

2. Robin profile image

Hi Jodah, I wouldn't educate people on how to increase their Hubber Score. smile What is important is to educate Hubbers on how to write for an online audience.  Many of our seasoned Hubbers know this, but I see many new Hubbers with a lot of potential that struggle with readership.  We have had a few Hubbers receive a lot of social traffic lately and I was thinking of having a contest that incorporated education on how to write a Hub that could go viral.  There is a different formula for these types of Hubs, e.g., Upworthy titles are not search friendly but they are prime for social sharing.   

@sue, I agree whole heartedly.  HubPages gives you a unique opportunity to make a difference - money aside.  In some ways, I wish that money was never brought into the equation on HubPages because once someone stops receiving the payout or if it decreases, many times they cease to write and lose motivation.  That Hubber still has a lot to offer our community and the online world and it is sad to see them stop writing.   Don't get me wrong, I know many of our Hubbers are professional writers and deserve to be paid for their work; I just think money tends to influence motivation and creativity.

Here is a challenge for a contest Robin:
          "Viral Hubs that Make a Difference". For them to work commercially they could carry adverts for green products like: solar panels, electric cars, phosphate-free household cleaners, energy efficient building materials, sustainable hemp products, eco friendly clothing, natural cosmetics, eco friendly home and garden decor,  energy saving lighting, recycled products, etc. the list is endless.
          We may be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. What do you think?

9. purnasrinivas profile image82
    purnasrinivasposted 3 years ago

True there should be contests

working