jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)

"Google just made it really easy for strangers to email you..."

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

And that definitely includes spammers.

"You no longer need someone's email address to send them an email..."

Google+ user? Might want to read this... http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/9/529231 … ign=buffer

1. Barbara Kay profile image85
      Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

What other wonderful ideas will they come up with!

2. Ericdierker profile image80
      Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

We are looking into this hard. And money for Google can be equaled with a handful of other "platform" advertisers. I am thinking that if I were to start looking for advert dollars I might include Google but not like before. I use them for my searches but am starting to look more specific. I think they are still great but the notion of a monopoly business plan is starting to fade. Just look at HP. They need to expand.

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Defaulting people in is a dick move, but at least it does have an off switch.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

Nothing ladylike to say about this underhanded maneuver.

4. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago

This is nothing to be considered unreasonable. Only people who you put in your circles will be able to send you email by typing just your name. Anyone else goes into a special social tab rather than your inbox, and you can always change your settings to allow all, or no one.

This is how post sharing has always been done in Google+ anyway. They are just integrating the same methodology into Gmail. And anyone using Gmail has already agreed to the terms of service. Or at least they should have read the terms before deciding to use Gmail.

Gmail is a free email service provided by Google. If one does not like the service, they should get a paid email account. Most Internet service providers, such as cable companies, include email accounts.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't have Gmail or use it, so does this apply to people like me?

5. psycheskinner profile image81

It is unreasonable to have a default opt in.  Just because someone is in my circle does not mean I want them emailing me.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Psycheskinner -  when you finally find the 'off' switch, the default actually says anyone on Google can contact you.  You can lower is to just your circles, but if you don't find the valve to shut it off, anyone in the world can spam you.

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
        Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Marcy, The spam doesn't go into your inbox. Anyone else who is not in one of your circles will go into a special social tab as Google explains.

1. psycheskinner profile image81
          psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Except that I turned off the "special tabs" that Google opted me into because I don't want them.  I only let people email me if I want to read their emails, and when their emails arrive, I read them.  That is how I use email and if Google has a problem with that, well screw them.  I use email as a tool in my life according to my needs, not the whims of Google.  When that becomes impossible I shall use another service--a change I have made several times in the past before moving to Gmail.

I am an active and intelligent user of technology, not part of the 'complain but then just accept it' crowd.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
            Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well-stated, Psycheskinner  - I agree.  My phone, computer and life are my private domains. I hate junk mail, spam, and solicitation calls.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

I posted a thread on this the other day.  It's sort of the last straw for me with Google. I actually cancelled my G+ account (too Big Brotherish now).  I know that will  tank my traffic even further, but we are not talking about a huge cliff for the drop-off.

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

Glenn, I realize that's how it works, but it's still spam, and a violation of privacy.  I don't like getting spam messages on Facebook, either, even though they come in through the message mechanism - and I have my privacy set very tightly there. I block the spammers or the predators.

If the gates open on G+, it means people could have many spammy messages to sift through (in that special inbox), none of which, or only a few of which would be of interest.

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
      Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The way I see it, all important emails come into our inbox. No need to look at the social tab. Any of those other emails (from people who are not in our circles) will never be seen unless you make an effort to look in that social tab Google created.

8. psycheskinner profile image81

The way I see it, if the email is important enough to read I don't want to receive it. 

Setting successfully located and turned off.

(Go to gmail, click the cog symbol at top right, select "settings", scroll down to 'who can email' option, and adjust as required).

As mentioned above the default is not your circles, it is everyone on G+ -- spammers, stalkers and sleazeballs included.

9. gitachud profile image87
    gitachudposted 3 years ago

Another reason why I am extremely afraid of Google.

Have you noticed that they are buying companies that have an artificial intelligence component to them? Nest Labs is now a Google company. For those who do not know about Nest Labs, they are the makers of intelligent smoke detectors. That doesn't sound bad--but remember a smoke detector is in every room in your building. Now think of an ''intelligent'' smoke detector that knows if there are people in the building, can learn your behavior and act accordingly.

Google knows everything about you- from the emails you send to your address, phone number, google searches and so much more.

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I wrote a hub on that... big_smile

10. psycheskinner profile image81

Nope, just gmailers.

11. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago

Non-Gmail email accounts will only receive emails sent specifically to that email address. For those who do use Gmail and who access it via the web, all you need to do is disable the Social tab and the Promotions tab.

In addition, when I confirmed "who can email me" I saw that I already had it sent to "circles only" - maybe that's because I set it in G+ a long time ago.

Some people say it defaults to "anyone on G+" - but even if that's the case, it is easy to change the setting as  psycheskinner mentioned earlier.

working