jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

What is the effect of editing a Hub on its indexing?

1. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 3 years ago

I went back and edited some of my old Hubs, mainly to get rid of unattractive and unnecessary spacing. Then I read on the forum that when you edit a Hub it then gets re-indexed by Google. I'm not exactly sure what this means or what effect it has. Those old Hubs I edited were pretty good in terms of traffic (moderately good, not spectacular) and had some age on them. Just wondering if this "re-indexing" that happens after editing would have a good or bad effect on an already fairly well-performing and aged Hub.

1. calculus-geometry profile image86
      calculus-geometryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

When you edit a hub it is sent through QAP to be reevaluated. 

Google is independent of HP and crawls your hubs every few days or so, or maybe even more frequently (it varies from subdomain to subdomain).  If Google bots crawl an article that has changed since its last crawl, it may appear higher or lower in Google search results, but we have no control over that, and it doesn't have anything to do with HubPages' own Quality Assessment Process (or Protocol?)

NateB11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

That actually sounds better to me than what I was thinking. If I understand correctly, Google crawls Hubs regardless of whether they've been edited or not, but if they've been edited, Google will register changes and it might affect indexing in search results.

1. calculus-geometry profile image86
          calculus-geometryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Basically, yes. But Google can change the way it indexes an article even if the article hasn't been edited, and often times editing an article has no effect on its Google ranking. Although ideally, if you make drastic improvements your articles should do better in search. Probably not worth worrying about what you can't predict, especially if you're only making minor cosmetic changes.

NateB11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Makes sense. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this subject. And it's true it's not worth worrying about since either way I don't have control over it, only in the sense I could improve an article possibly to the extent that it could improve its position in the SERPs, and it's only minor changes too.

working