jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Hub Topic/sub-topic Category versus Hub Group

1. janshares profile image89
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

When choosing hub topic category and hub group, do they have to be consistent? For example, I put my latest hub in the "Food and Cooking - - - Quick and Easy Recipes - - - Quick and Easy Dinners - - - Quick and Easy Chicken Dinners"  category. For hub group, I put it under "Chicken Recipes," which is under the topic category of "Main Dish and Side Dish Recipes."

Does this "splitting" of topic category and hub group create confusion or inconsistency for HP algorithms, searchers, author's "previous and next" hubs, and "Discover More Hubs?"
    Thanks.

1. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

No, so long as the topic and group are relevant your hub will benefit from the views from both.

jansharesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That's great to hear, Cardisa. I've never understood completely how that works. Thanks.

2. Faith Reaper profile image88
      Faith Reaperposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, great to know, as I do this too, jan!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

I've wondered about this as well, from a slightly different point.
    That is, when creating a hub, often a category and set of sub-categories are automatically selected.  Most of the time, they fit; sometimes not so much.
    But what I have noticed, is that there are often sub-categories shown in that area that simply do not appear, and are not available as choices when manually selecting our own categories.
    What's up with that?  It's rather annoying and disappointing!

jansharesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've noticed the same, MsLizzy. Sometimes it doesn't match at all. I often click on "search" or "start over" to get the more appropriate choice or the sub categories that match best. I think it just goes by keywords and not the author's intent or subject.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
        DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Right--and when you do that, those sub-categories that originally showed up are not there!  Frustrating!

2. jarodlakin profile image82
      jarodlakinposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think its the most frustrating part of making a new hub. I enjoy the writing, but often when I leave my office document and go to actually make the hub I spend huge amounts of time guessing and searching for sub categories. I often end up just picking one. It would be nice if  I could just browse each category and sub category to find what I want, and have all of the categories show up .

3. janshares profile image89
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Frustrating enough that maybe staff will take a look at it.

working