20 Days of a Hub’s Life

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. JRScarbrough profile image75
    JRScarbroughposted 10 years ago

Although I have ran several websites, several blogs and am familiar with my own domain’s traffic, I’m unfamiliar with what to expect from HubPages and traffic here. I saw someone say that usually a hub will do well at first and then fall off the charts and maybe get 5 hits a day if you are lucky. I have been keeping records and was wondering if 20 days into a hub’s life, if 80 hits per day is average or doing extremely well or not doing well at all.

Here is what my top two hubs look like in the numbers.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg596/jayscarb77/ScreenShot2014-01-20at33331PM_zps4607c40e.png

(I hope that picture shows)

If you have experience here, I would like your opinion on the matter and maybe share some of your numbers. We are not talking how much you make or any of that, just kind of a day in the life of your best hub comment that might prove to help me and others know exactly what doing well on HubPages really is. I sincerely have no idea.

I just know that if I created 300 successful hubs of this one’s prototype, I could expect somewhere around 24,000 hits per day, if the traffic stayed consistently around 80 per day on each one (it drops and then rises, but averages around 80).

Anyone willing to share?

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8668386_f248.jpg

These are my top two performing Hubs but they are pretty niche so maybe not a good comparison.  I see most of yours are pretty broad.  Your Hubs scores are very good which helps boost views.

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
        SpaceShantyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://i40.tinypic.com/4lhkic.jpg

2. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't really been paying to much attention to the numbers. More often than not all I look for are the up and down arrows that tell me whether or not traffic is increasing or decreasing. My very first hub got quite a few views the first month and then dropped off to only one or two for a few months and during that time the blue down arrows appeared. More recently, I've noticed that same hub will have red arrows for a few days and then the views drop again. The same applies to other hubs. If I had a line graph it would probably look like a rollercoaster. That same applies to many of my other hubs. I'll have to keep an eye on the actual numbers and report back to you.

2. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Keep keeping your records.  It can take anywhere from three to six months to truly develop a useful amount of web history data to be able to judge what's happening.

JRScarbroughposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Will do. My plans are to record my actions and to take screenshots and eventually create a series of hubs devoted to helping others achieve these numbers by using the same thought process I used.

From what I have gathered thus far, HubPages is not hurting in Google, but it takes constant attention to see how to improve the page’s rank. I have one hub that appears in position 4 on page 1 for my main keyword and so, obviously, the positions are available to HP if we are choosing our subjects and keywords through study.

Thanks for commenting.

3. dwelburn profile image90
    dwelburnposted 10 years ago

You are doing extremely well. I had two hubs that were up to 60 hits per day for a very short time but they are now down into single figures again. Wish I could get these sort of figures consistently. I know some people do have high traffic hubs though. Well done.

Thanks for commenting and for your input. I have been astonished that these two hubs have hung in there with numbers like that. I had another that went about 9 days over 120 hits a day and then puttered out to around 20 some. I have managed to wake it up by changing titles to a shorter and more catchy one, but it has began to wane again. These two seem to be trying to hang in there.

Now, to do it over and over again. That is the challenge. tongue Thanks again.

4. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Once upon a time there was a page that had some data regarding the number of hits that pages on hubpages had per day/week/month.
    I seem to recall that only about 5% had 10 hits or more per MONTH. So to have hubs in high double figures every day is going well. How those figures have changed since the QAP and mass de-indexing is anyone's guess as hubpages have removed that page and no longer publish the data.
    Good luck for all of your future pages..

5. aa lite profile image86
    aa liteposted 10 years ago

I think a hub with 80 hits a day is doing very well.  I am sure there are hubs here who get a lot more hits than that, but they are pretty rare.

Just think, if you could write 15 more hubs that, you'd be over 1000 views a day, which should convert to something around $100 a month.  (That's a very rough approximation, CPM varies widely). 

I've had some hubs that start off getting a lot of views (like 200 a day, but then fall down to maybe around 50 a day), so the excellent traffic at the beginning is true at least for some of my hubs.  Others get steady traffic, while others seem to do better with time.  It is really variable.

My cpm hovers between $3 to $7. So, it would take over 10,000 to be between $30 and $70 per day.

It is possible but would only be possible with multiple hubs. I’d say 300 hubs of this magnitude would probably generate $100 per day. But a lot of the traffic is HP itself. One could really do a lot better if considering ranking in Google, which is tough because subdomains are hard to build back links for.

Thanks for your input.

6. barbat79 profile image62
    barbat79posted 10 years ago

Also note, some hubs are "time of year sensitive"  such as love poems..perhaps Valentine's Day" week brings more views...etc.   I also saw in HP the definition of an "evergreen" hub...that would prove more consistent views and wouldn't become out of date over years.

Yes very much so. That is a good point. BUT those hubs are not truly evergreen hubs. I mean, they will forever be viable for traffic but are basically limited to certain months or seasons. A lot of these types of hubs are product based too, such as “10 Gifts for Your Wife This Christmas” or such things. Products will have the need to be updated as the years pass. Such things as “Why Christmas Is Special” would be more “evergreen”.

Such things as “Makeup Tips” or “Hairstyles That Rock” also are not evergreen as they will change over time BUT “How To Get Fuller Hair” will be as evergreen as it gets. Trends do not affect the need for healthier hair and people like to have better looking hair.

BUT such things as “Home Remedy for Chapped Lips” will always be viable and could possibly lead toward higher amounts of traffic as weather and location creates more need of answers for people searching for something to stop the pain and discomfort. These types of hubs are also more needed around the entire globe. Chapped lips will be more common in Siberia and Alaska than anywhere probably and so, they stay green year round.

There are so many possibilities on evergreen subjects that once someone grasps it, they will probably slap their forehead and say “Oh yeah!”. It sometimes seems as if there is too much already written on it, but truly, only you are you and only you know what works for you. No writer knows who is reading their online work and all you can do is tell people about what has worked for you so that they can try it. If it doesn’t work, they’ll move on, if it does, you will have a follower who hangs on your every word.

My definition of “evergreen” would probably be something that is needed year round and all the time and can never go out of style or out of need. Even subject about cancer or the treatment associated with it are “evergreen” because they haven’t found a cure yet and people will be desperately seeking information about it due to family, friends and possibly their own diagnosis defines their need to know. Until cancer is cured, that topic is evergreen.

Thanks for your input. Evergreen is the ticket.

7. magictrickshq profile image58
    magictrickshqposted 10 years ago

I have even less experience than you guys, but it is interesting to see what kinda traffic is possible!

8. barbat79 profile image62
    barbat79posted 10 years ago

I bet you have a set of knowledge that we all can learn from...care to share?  or write a hub!
    I am interested in hearing how you develop your success.

Yeah, I am going to write some hubs on some things I’ve learned here at HubPages and more on what I already knew.

The single most important thing I can think of right now as a tip, is that, earning an income from online publishing probably won’t be possible if the writer writes according to their own interests. Unless their interests are mostly everyone else’s interests, then the writer probably will only have a trickle of visits per day. Covering popular subjects with your own ideas and style will most likely result in a better hub traffic wise.

For example, you might be interested in different types of ants. If that is your focus in your online publishing, you might gather an audience but the audience just won’t be as broad as covering ways you have found to get rid of blackheads. I mean, 90% of people go through acne but how many develop an interest in ants?

It’s all pretty much common sense. Having niche interests and developing writing on those detailed expertise’s one has will help solidify your expertise in those things, but anyone interested in ants should probably branch wider into ant problems and how to get rid of ants if they wish to make money from their knowledge. It is all about the scope of the possible audience and so, one has to think of ways to reach a lot of people who might end up needing your knowledge about ants but who aren’t very interested in the ant itself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)