jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Puzzle Time

1. Soniabala profile image59
    Soniabalaposted 3 years ago

Puzzle

You just moved into a new apartment building, and you are about to mail your first month's rent. You walk down the hallway and notice that there are three different mail chutes. A sign above reads, “Only one of these is actually a mail chute. The other two go to the Dumpster in the back alley.” Naturally, you don't want to send your rent check to the Dumpster. How can you determine the correct chute with a minimum of trips up and down the stairs?

Answers Pls

1. JRScarbrough profile image87
      JRScarbroughposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Wait for someone who has lived there longer to come and tell you which one is right and you won’t have to use the steps at all.

2. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 3 years ago

Call the landlord, ask them why they have such a stupid setup, and why they haven't properly labeled the chutes, and then tell them that if they're interested in getting their money, that they had better tell you which chute is the mail chute.

Boom. Don't even have to move.

3. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Hmmmmm. What floor are you on? On what floor does the mail chute stop? Uhhmmmmm, go down the stairs to the first floor and out to the back alley to see how the dumpster is positioned to match the 2 chutes. Go back up stairs and pick the other chute, which should be the one on either end, not the one in the middle.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image84
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

Take 3 envelopes, mark them with 3 different colors and remember which color and chute was for the mailbox. Go down to the dumpster to see which 2 went there. Of course since you remembered the color for the mailbox, if it is not in the dumpster then that chute is the mail chute!

1. janshares profile image91
      jansharesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

So simply smart. smile

1. The Examiner-1 profile image84
        The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, that is how I would do it anyway.

2. Soniabala profile image59
      Soniabalaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Brilliant...

Thank you - I think.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

Use online bill paying.

That is funny smile - but a good idea. Although I do not believe it is what the puzzle is about.

6. a beautiful mess profile image94
    a beautiful messposted 3 years ago

I would just have a friend go outside and yell up the chutes, then I don't have to go anywhere!

7. Soniabala profile image59
    Soniabalaposted 3 years ago

Well done guys
    Correct Answer
           Get three pieces of paper and put a unique mark on each of them. Drop one in each chute and then go look in the Dumpster. The piece of paper that is missing went into the outgoing mail. Drop your rent check down that chute.

See You tomorrow with a new puzzle

8. profile image0
    Dave36posted 3 years ago

Ask all the peeps who live there, then no trip at all!lol :-)

working