jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

So, Why should I keep eBay ADs on my Hubs if they make no money, now?

1. Don Bobbitt profile image92
    Don Bobbittposted 2 years ago

As HP has evolved their AD restrictions for Hubs, we writers now operate in a "one per" world. With this restriction, we writers are being forced to become as good at marketing/advertising as we are writers, if we want to make even a few pennies on our Hubs.
    So, with the newer and more restrictive eBay requirements, why should I even keep any eBay ads on my Hubs?

1. The Frog Prince profile image80
      The Frog Princeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Many of the more prolific writers have abandoned HP because of policy changes like the one you write about here. 

2. Don Bobbitt profile image92

Frog Prince- I moved a lot of my more "Creative" works to my blogs a while back and now, I map links from my Blogs to HP for a few pennies a day.
    All corporations eventually become money hungry and I have no other expectations of Google or HP or really any site that is essentially a "leach" that lives off of the work of others.
    So, I now concentrate on my books and am in maintenance mode with HP.

3. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

Actually, with eBay ads, the reason might be that the eBay ad program itself changed.  Now, you only make money if someone buys an item on there within 24 hours of clicking your link.  After that, the cookie expires.  This change was implemented back in October and since then I have been gradually removing those capsules and replacing with Amazon capsules. 

In Illinois, we were not able to use the Amazon program until recently when a law was overturned - long story, anyway, now that I can use it, I prefer it.  You can more easily target an item and I think more people trust Amazon.  I made over $6 there the first week I had some capsules on my hubs.  I haven't even finished switching over yet and I still make some money with them - not much this month so far, but more than I was with eBay certainly. 

There are a few highly specific eBay capsules I will keep, but for me the new program changes made that program not even worth it anymore.

4. Don Bobbitt profile image92

ChristinS- This change was the reason for my discussion. You have to ask yourself; Am I a writer or am I in the business of driving sales. 24- Hours? Huh!

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If you're here to make money, then yes, your job is to drive sales.

Even under the old rules, eBay ads didn't make money unless you chose the right products and displayed them next to some text which persuaded your readers to buy.  So in that sense, nothing has changed.

What has changed is that eBay has made it more difficult to get paid commission, and that HubPages has reduced the number of products you can display PER CAPSULE - but you can still display several products in one Hub, if you use several capsules.

5. PegCole17 profile image90
    PegCole17posted 2 years ago

Recently I started removing all the eBay ads I've used on hubs and have replaced them with the Amazon capsules for products. Haven't been too successful with either of these. Thank goodness for the HP Ad Program that does earn a few cents.

6. calculus-geometry profile image86
    calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago

When eBay/Amazon ads don't convert into commissions, you're better off removing them.  That way the reader has fewer opportunities to be tempted away from clicking an Adsense ad, or a link to one of your related articles (where they might click an ad).

If you think there's still potential in eBay/Amazon, you should spend some time to learn how to write effective sales hubs. 
    HP doesn't force anyone to write product-pushing articles, but that's the type of article that will get the job done.  Plenty of people also make money just from the HP Ads program without using any eBay or Amazon.

7. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 2 years ago

I very rarely used ebay anyway but its worth keeping Amazon because I still earn from them even if its only a tiny bit of money. You would be amazed at what sells on there, and in some cases someone will click on your amazon link, search for something else and you will still get paid if only third party so to speak, not sure if thats the term but you get the general idea.

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I believe that when we can place Buy It Now Items on our Hubs we will be able turn around the drought caused by the new regulations brought about by e-Bay.

8. earner profile image85
    earnerposted 2 years ago

I've over 300 hubs.... the time it'd take me to load each one and scroll/check and remove any ebay ads .... is frightening.  And it's not like we've been here again ... and again .... and again ... and again with various rule changes in the last couple of years.

I'll get round to it ..... maybe next year.

9. Sue Bailey profile image89
    Sue Baileyposted 2 years ago

I was doing really well with my EBay earnings, not so with Amazon. In six years I earned one gift card for just over $11 (must have had my payment settings wrong) which I couldn't spend because I'm in the UK. It's really disappointing to see the long line of zeros in my EBay earnings column now. I've all but given up on Hubpages now with all the changes which seem to make earning more than a few cents a day almost impossible. Go back twelve to eighteen months and I was getting paid every month. Not any more.  I can't be bothered to remove all my capsules so I'll just leave them in the hope that one day there might be a figure other than zero in that column.