jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

My first hub -> what do you think?

1. profile image0
    bfilipekposted 3 years ago

Hello,

Something like week ago I've joined hubs community. I've written my first article - about Teaching Programming. What do you think about it?

5-Ideas-About-Teaching-Programming

Is the quality ok? Or maybe there is something to improve?

Also this hub is a "mix" of two areas: teaching and technology... I did not know under what category should I put it. Now it is under "Technology", but maybe you have better opinion about it.

1. Writer Fox profile image73
      Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I would recommend that you do some keyword research.  There aren't many searches on Google for 'teaching programming' or 'teaching coding.'  Find something that people are searching for using the keyword tool on Google AdWords and then check the competition on Google's search results page.

To find the right Topic category for HubPages, you can find all of the options here and how many featured Hubs are in each Topic:
              http://hubpages.com/topics/tree
      You might consider writing Hubs in the 'Education and Science' Topic since you enjoy teaching. (Lessons plans seem to do well.)

No matter how well you know your subject, to succeed on HubPages requires knowledge and application of SEO or your Hubs will have no traffic from search engines.  It just requires an investment of time to learn what to do.  Good luck!

1. profile image0
        bfilipekposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for your comment!
        This is actually the hardest part of writing: not only you have to know your domain, but SEO and "marketing" as well.

2. OanaWriter profile image85
    OanaWriterposted 3 years ago

At a first glance I really enjoyed the layout and the pictures. I don't have knowledge on the topic but I really enjoyed reading it.

1. profile image0

thanks! I tried to choose "related" picture to the paragraph... Most of the pictures comes from openclipart.org

3. profile image0
    bfilipekposted 3 years ago

I've managed to add three new hubs: about C++11 programming. Hope they are not that bad

4. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 3 years ago

Hi bfilipek!

For your first Hub, the layout is pretty nice and you used various capsules and broke it up for easy reading which I'm a big fan of.

I did notice a couple minor grammar issues so you may want to double back. Ex: "Moreover I believe that this ideas can be also applied to other areas as well." (I think you mean 'these ideas')

Also, and this is just a thought based on my experience here, a couple of your subtitles could be a bit more search friendly. Ex: Instead of "Introduction" maybe consider "Knowledge Sharing Concepts".

Like OanaWriter, I don't know the topic so I'm sure you can do better than that but good subtitles can help a Hub.

1. profile image0

Thank you for a great feedback! I've tried to upgrade my hubs. Also I've noticed that programming area is not that popular on hubpages. I, probably, need to write some more general articles.

1. Cre8tor profile image97
        Cre8torposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well don't just cater to those of us on HP...is the topic popular with Google? Yahoo? I don't know but this is what I'd be asking myself.

1. profile image0

So far I have used reddit, twitter. But reed to use more social sites. Where do you promote your articles?

1. Cre8tor profile image97
            Cre8torposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Facebook, Pinterest, Google+1...there are a lot of places. I think some help more than others depending on subject and writer. In my experience, again based on writer and topic, search engines are my friends. Promoting helps but in my case, people need my stuff when they need it for the most part. Not like someone's gonna read about cleaning flame sensors for fun.

1. profile image0

Thanks. I Need to read more hub help pages smile

5. VictoriaSheffield profile image88
    VictoriaSheffieldposted 3 years ago

It's great. Follow me and I will follow you!

working