jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Starting a new Hub : is my content the right type for this site?

1. nihongotraveler profile image88
    nihongotravelerposted 2 years ago

So I'm sure a lot of you get this question, but quite frankly I'm a bit stuck.

I am considering making a new webpage to replace my current one, but am not sure if my content falls in the "personal" or "helpful" kind.

Let me elaborate: I am moving to Japan in March for two years of language school. I plan on taking plenty of photographs and some videos about places in Japan, as well as talk about what I am learning, and so forth.

I also want it to be a place where people can view my photos and, if they want to, purchase some. I don't expect to make any money, but the possibility would be nice.

Either way, the content may mostly be personal, but I also want it to be a place where people can learn about Japan, photography, and so on, albeit from my own point of view.

Is this ok for hub pages? Or should I just stick with wordpress? I ask because of Hubpage's requirements for content, and I feel like my content may be borderline in some areas. I am just not sure.

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Electronician is right on the mark. Take your personal experiences and twist them into a how-to, travel, or other type of article. You can still add some of your personal experiences as examples and that will make your hubs unique to your perspective. I've done the same thing with hubs such as the one I wrote about Alaskan cruises. My intro and conclusions include some of my personal experiences on the trip while the bulk of the article is introducing people to what to expect on that type of cruise.

2. Camille Harris profile image
      Camille Harrisposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi nihongotraveler,

electronician and sheilamyers are absolutely right! Including your personal experiences can strengthen your Hub in that readers will know they are learning something from someone "in the know". I like how DrMark1961 often sprinkles his Hubs with personal experiences from working with dogs.

One word on selling your photos: I would caution you to be careful of promoting your photography. Excessively mentioning, including more than two links to an external website, or writing a short "teaser" with a link to your photos may be considered overly promotional.

Welcome! I look forward to reading your Hubs!

Our Learning Center is a great place to start.

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If selling photos is important to you, then be careful:  there is NO WAY to protect your photos on HubPages.  If you post good photos here, they will be stolen.  You are not allowed to put a copyright notice or watermark on photos here.

If you want to sell your photography then your best bet is to join a site like Dreamstime, where your photos can be protected by a watermark, and there's a proper mechanism for them to be purchased.  By all means write articles here, and post one or two sample photos in each Hub - but then refer readers to your Dreamstime account to see more.

Don't worry about excessive linking to your photos - so long as you don't link more than twice in each Hub, you'll stay within the rules.

2. electronician profile image94
    electronicianposted 2 years ago

It depends how you present it. For example:

A hub called 'my first day at language school' may be too personal and not helpful to others. But a hub called 'Joining a Language school in Japan' which includes your personal experience of your first day, but also tips on what you need to take or what you should do, how to choose the right school in the first place, and things like that would be great for Hubpages.

3. nihongotraveler profile image88
    nihongotravelerposted 2 years ago

Thanks for all your help guys. I will take your suggestions and incorporate them when I'm ready. As for my photos, I never post high quality versions on my page, so I'll probably post one or two as examples as you suggest and just have a link in case someone wants copyrighted versions to buy when I get to that point.