jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Different topics?

1. 61
    Scott R Andersonposted 2 years ago

I'm new here, and wondering how writers approach having Hubs on different topics.

For example, I've been a journalist or worked in related fields for more than 30 years, and covered a wide range of articles during that time. I do, however, have a couple of areas that I prefer to focus on.

However, I also write fiction and poetry. It is completely unrelated to any of my journalistic work. About the only thing the two have in common is that they involve writing.

Just wondering how others handle this.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
      Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to HubPages, Scott, I wish you all the best.

You can write on any topic you like. It is a good idea to have a niche of at least one topic. I focus on early American history, Native American, women in history, spirituality and sometimes a poem.  I branch out a little here and there to write on other subjects, like paranormal stories, and do have a few creative writing/fiction stories.

I created groups for myself to categorize my hubs so they show up in related fields at the end of each hub I write. That also shows up on hubs others write. Like one of my hubs on the Revolutionary War will show up as a related hub on someone else's hub on the Rev. War.

So, it is up to you what genre, topic, you want to write about.  Have fun!

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi Scott,

Welcome to HubPages! As Phyllis and other Hubbers have mentioned, you can certainly write on whatever topics you like on your account. However, if you would like to focus on specific niches, you can always create a separate HubPages account for each major niche you intend to write on.

3. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The beauty of HubPages is that you can write about anything you like, whereas these days if you want a blog to get traffic, it must focus on one subject area.  So it's absolutely fine to mix content in one account.

You have two competing arguments on how to set up your account, and only you can decide which way you want to go.

On the one hand, there's nothing to prevent you opening two separate accounts, one for your non-fiction work and one for your creative writing.   That can make it a lot easier to organise.   On the other hand, there are a couple of disadvantages of having separate accounts.  One is that you'll have to reach two separate payout thresholds.  The other is that your sub-domain is regarded by Google as a standalone site, and Google doesn't like small sites.  Obviously, keeping all your work together means a bigger body of work to impress Google, which should get you more readers.

Don't worry too much about this from a reader's perspective, though.   Although you have your own sub-domain, most readers will have NO awareness of that. Each Hub has to attract its own traffic.  Take a look at a few Hubs and notice how the navigation works - there's nothing to indicate that the Hub's author has written other articles.  People will not arrive at one of your Hubs and go on to browse the rest of your account - they'll be tempted away by the array of other people's Hubs displayed. 

In other words, writing on HubPages is similar to being a staff writer on a newspaper - some people will notice your byline but most won't.  You will get known by other Hubbers, but the paying traffic doesn't come from our community - it comes from outside.

2. Writer Fox profile image81
    Writer Foxposted 2 years ago

I have Hubs about poetry, insurance, holidays, history, learning a foreign language, etc.  Just publish whatever you want!  Some people like to have different user accounts for specific topics and others don't.

1. 61
      Scott R Andersonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Learning a foreign language in general, or learning a specific foreign language? The reason I ask is that I'm a soon to be wed widower who is marrying a wonderful woman from China, and learning Mandarin is a challenge for me, as is learning English for her, especially since we're both older and our memories aren't what they once were.

1. Writer Fox profile image81
        Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, I can't help you learn Chinese.  Here are some Hubs you might be interested in:
        http://hubpages.com/search/include%3Ahu … %2Bchinese

3. cecileportilla profile image92
    cecileportillaposted 2 years ago

Hi Scott R Anderson:
    Welcome to Hubpages! Not sure if I read all of your query. However, if you need info on learning a foreign language you may go to thecollegeway's hub.at this link.
    http://thecollegeway.hubpages.com/hub/A … gnLanguage

4. Cre8tor profile image96
    Cre8torposted 2 years ago

Hi Scott and welcome to HP!

I'm not as tech savvy as many writers here but I do feel like it might depend on what your goal here is.

If you're just writing as an outlet, then have a field day. It's cliche but give it content and quality to make sure you get featured.

From a money perspective, I was all over the place. Then I narrowed down to a specific subject to gain a sort of rep and following and the money started coming in. Now that I have a good base of that specific subject and am making consistent income, I'm much more comfortable writing and experimenting with other topics knowing I have my "safety net".

I don't mean to say it has to be done that way but I think building on a subject at first can help you reap rewards a bit sooner than later. It did for me anyway.

Congratulations on your marriage!

5. younghopes profile image81
    younghopesposted 2 years ago

Hi Scott, Welcome to HP, i am also a journalist by profession but at HP i have never written any articles related to my profession, I write here mostly what i feel like writing-it could range from christmas, easter to skin care, health etc. It is upto you

6. ologsinquito profile image94
    ologsinquitoposted 2 years ago

Hi Scott, Welcome to Hub Pages.

7. amuno profile image87
    amunoposted 2 years ago

Hi Scott, HP allows you to explore as much as you possibly can. If you write for fun, then anything goes - you can writer whatever crosses your mind. But if you wish to write for money or whatever advanced scope you have in mind,  you may want to etch out a special niche. The more related your articles are, and probably the more inter-linked they are, the more you can achieve out of them. Good luck.

8. William15 profile image84
    William15posted 2 years ago

More than anything, just write. You can group related hubs in "groups" to help readers find similar hubs.