jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Questions about New Hub

1. JudeeAnne profile image62
    JudeeAnneposted 2 years ago

Hi there,

I'm getting ready to work on my very first hub - starting to read things and get a feel for how it works - and I want to make sure I am picking a topic that works well and fits in appropriately with the category. Who can I check with?
    How can I determine if it will work?
    Where can I find the information I need to move forward?

1. Writer Fox profile image79
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Here is a list of Topics on the HubPages site and the number of Hubs featured in each Topic:

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If it was  possible to know what will work and what won't, then all Hubbers would be millionaires!

I've been writing online for six years, and my most successful articles are often those I had low expectations of.  On the other hand, when I've spent hours doing keyword research to produce an article, it's often been a complete flop! 

The best advice I can give is to write what you know.  Remember you're not alone -  there are thousands of writers out there, all looking for the popular topics and trying to catch the next trend.  If you don't have any special knowledge of those topics, then it's hard to find that extra oomph to give you the edge over everyone else.     Whereas if you use your own knowledge, you have a better chance of writing something different and special.

1. JudeeAnne profile image62
        JudeeAnneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Marisa,

This is very helpful and you make a good point. I am not going to post yet, but do more reading and get a better feeling for what I think I want to submit. It won't be forever, but I want to make sure I have a better understanding about what a 'hub' actually is and what writing here involves.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 2 years ago

You could start with the learning center: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

Very few people get it right on the first try - it's a learning curve, not to mention you'll likely come back and edit and update all your hubs as you learn more!

Some people get 5 million views with 3 hubs. Others only get 10,000 views with 400 hubs.

Avoid topics that are personal or too saturated (everyone is writing on them).

Lists are popular, as are how to guides.

3. Robin profile image
    Robinposted 2 years ago

Hi Judy, Like Wrylilt suggested, the Learning Center is a great resource as is our community.  I recommend reading this Learning Center entry on the HubPages Style Guide.  All new Hubbers go through Boot Camp.   Most new Hubbers have their Hubs sent back to them for edits; so don't be surprised or lose faith if this happens.  smile Our goal is to try to help new Hubbers write high-quality Hubs from the get go.  You can also submit your Hub to the community for help in this Forum

The topic tree that Writer Fox suggested is also a good place to see what is saturated on HP and what isn't.  My best advice is to write about what you love and what you know with the intention of sharing your passion with the world.  For me personally, these are my best and most successful Hubs.  Good luck! smile