jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)

Slow Load Times for HP?

1. Earl Noah Bernsby profile image88
    Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 3 years ago

I have been experiencing some agonizingly slow HP load times these past few weeks.  The problem seems unique to the site, as I have had no trouble with loading other sites. 

Does this have something to do with the end of net neutrality? UGC site terrorists?? Barbarians at the gates (of the San Francisco office)???

1. Matthew Meyer profile image76
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

We are unaware of any specific site issues that would result in a slow load times.  I have used the site from multiple computer and locations (and ISPs) over the last week and have not noticed any loading time issues.
      There was a large scale DDOS last week that affected a large amount of Internet traffic, but that was not a HubPages site issue and has since been resolved.

When you say it is slow, what specific content are you referring to?
      All Hubs? Select Hubs? How long is it taking to load?

If so, I can test and try to reproduce the issue using a few different ISPs.
      It could be a system resource issue (how much free RAM and CPU does you machine have available). You might want to try disabling all browser plugins or trying a different browser as well.

Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi Matt, thanks for responding.

When I say over the past several weeks, I should have clarified:  The problem comes and goes.  Right now the sight is loading just fine.  At other times, I can't get any response from HP, be that from my feed, the forums, the HubTool edit view, or anything else.  It does not appear to be browser or resource specific from my end.  Maybe it has something to do with bandwidth?  Have any telecommunications companies extorted money from you guys recently, in exchange for faster load times??

Maybe it just has something to do with the number of Hubbers using the site at specific times.  Do you have access to the information that tells you when HP servers are taxed the most?

I do not have access to the sever logs, but I have pinged our infrastructure team to see if they can find anything.
          Do you notice load time issues at any specific times of day?
          What time zone are you in and who is your ISP?

I have not noticed any time specific slow-downs, but I can start keeping track if the problem persists.  I live on the East Coast, and use Verizon.

Are you using Verizon's mobile network or their FiOS service?
              Unfortunately, Verizon (and my ISP Comcast) secretly throttle some traffic to some sites different times of day.
              They don't really publicize this information, but there has been some stuff about it related to Netflix recently.
              http://consumerist.com/2014/02/11/netfl … customers/
              http://arstechnica.com/information-tech … hat-video/

Let me know if you notice slow load times again.

FiOS.  I have a separate cell phone carrier. 

Sure thing, Matt — I'll let you know if it happens anymore, and at what time.  Thanks for the links, as well.

We did some further tests and a process we use to check load times for random Hubs is not indicating any load time issues out of the ordinary.
                  It could be an issue with routing or another ISP issue.
                  I'm not similarity with Verizon FiOS technical support, but it might be something you could call them about when you are having problems.  They might be able to do some tests and see ping times or routing to determine if there is an issue on their end.

Have there been any other complaints from folks in my geographical region, who also have Verizon, about slow load times?  Anything out of the ordinary reported to HP tech support regarding slow load times — even from other regions and/or with other ISPs — at all?  If not, then Ockham's razor leaves little doubt.

working