LIST FROM: A Facebook Page who is copying hubbers articles

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Mary McShane profile image78
    Mary McShaneposted 10 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8745075_f248.jpg

If you have noticed your traffic decreasing lately on some of your hubs, this Facebook page is copying content from several hubbers and publishing it on their FB page.   

The Facebook page is called OHealth at
    www    .facebook   .com   /pages  /OHealth/  453779434662795

but they also have a website here:
    http://  ohealth.  ca/

They are an Ottawa based company and also have 2 recipe websites where I have seen many hubbers' recipes republished there. Here are those two websites:
    www.    ----gourmetrecipe.  com/
    www.   --- gourmandia.  com/

I had to junk up the links, but those of you whose names appear here can still identify which hubs were stolen.
    Here is the list of hub and hubbers whose articles have been copied to OHealth Facebook page.

Copied on 2/15/2014
    modernhousewife
    modernhousewife ****  Estrogen***-Dominance-What-You-Need-to-Know-to-Protect-Your-Fertility

Copied 2/14/2014
    nighamafzal - same hub 2x
    nighamafzal.***  Flavonoids-A-natural-common-but-an-unknown-ingredient-of-life

nighamafzal.********Flavonoids-A-natural-common-but-an-unknown-ingredient-of-life

Copied 2/7/2014
    artois52
    artois52.  hub******10-Reasons-to-****Stop-Drinking

Copied 2/4/2014
    healthmunsta
    healthmunsta. hub/***Fruits-High-in-Iron

Copied 2/3/2014
    silverq
    silverq.  ***10-***ways-to-get***-rid-of-a-headache
    Copied 1/30/2014
    silverq
    /silverq.  hub/****9-Simple-ways-to-relax

Copied 2/1/2014
    craftytothecore
    /craftytothecore.*Strategies-for-Curbing-Unwanted-Behavior****-in-Children-with-Special-Needs
    AND HERE: on 10/10/2013 - your name was removed from article.
    craftytothecore* Tips-From-1943-for-Dealing-With-the****-Common-Cold

Copied 1/31/2014
    notsosecret
    notsosecret.--****Taking-Care-of-Your-face

Copied 1/27/2014
    tmyerswrites
    tmyerswrites---. hub/ Why****-is-Vaccination-so-Important

Copied 1/26/2014
    John Mello - Hub of the Day
    *******/The-Four-Types-of-Stress

Copied 1/24/2014
    Jackielynnley
    Jackielynnley--------*******com/hub/What-*********Can-Beets-do-for-You

Copied 1/23/2014
    faithreaper
    faithreaper .------- How-** *to-Cut-100-Calories-by-Making-These-**********25-Easy-Changes

Copied 1/22/2014
    obreinfamily
    obreinfamily-------hub *****How-to-restore-the-body -PH-naturally

Copied on10/22/2013
    ********Fifty-Ways-to-Improve-Your-Mood

NOTE TO Stephicks68 - 75% of that article's content also appears here:
    www.  articlesbase.  com****/diseases-and-conditions-articles/do-you-have-diabetes-early****-warning-signs-5077059.html
    AND HERE:   www.   newhealthtips.   com/    **early-warning-symptoms-of-diabetes.html

And this hub was taken***Fifty-Ways-to-Improve-Your-Mood
    AND PLACED HERE:
    mdjunction.  com/   forums/    ***panic-attacks-discussions/natural-healing/2750040-25-*****ways-to-improve-your-mood
    AND HERE:
    www.  facebook.  com/    goodnews.   ooddeeds   ****/posts/131981416838423
    AND HERE:
    nopiipon.  tumblr.    com/    post/5415365508/25-ways-to-improve-your-mood-how-to***-boost-happiness

Copied 1/18/2014
    londonlady
    hubpages****.com/hub/The*********-Benefits-Of-Vitamins

Copied 1/17/2014
    medicalcontent
    medicalcontent ---**hub/  metallic- taste-in-mouth-symptoms-causes-treatment-pregnancy

Copied 1/15/2014
    Alicia C at
    hub/****Controlling-*Asthma-****With-Diet-Exploring-The-Evidence

Copied January 10, 2014
    ME - Mary McShane
    marymcshane**************/What-GMFs-Genetically-************Modified-Foods-Do-To-Humans

Copied 1/7/2014
    ktrapp
    ktrapp------------.hubpages.----------com/hub/5-******Ways-Drinking-Water-Will-Help-----------You-Lose-Weight

Copied 1/1/2014 and 11/4/2013
    Rehana Stormme
    **99-Interesting-Facts-About*****-Apples
    and also
    copied on 12/8/2013
    The-Less- Known-Benefits-of-Rosemary

Copied 12/15/2013
    princeserrao
    princeserrao.*hub  /Home-Remedies-For-CuringCOUGH
    Copied 12/9/2013kelleyward
    http://kelleyward  *   Naturally-Lower-Blood-Pressure-********** and-Cholesterol- -With-8-Heart-Healthy-Foods

Copied 12/2/2013
    karencreftor
    karencreftor*   How-to********* -Boost-Your-Immune-*******System-Naturally

Copied 12/1/2013
    Shanna11
    **Oat-Milk-Health-Benefits

Copied 11/26/2013
    yayang0405
    yayang0405.* hub/***Health-Benefits-and-Uses-of-Oregano

Copied 11/23/2013
    kayshacomfort
    kayshacomfort-- *******/My-own-kind-of-drug-whats******-your-drug-of-choice

Copied 11/12/2013
    letstalkmedia
    Foods-That-Relieve-  Pain-Improve-Health

Copied 11/9/2013
    nornsmercy
    Simple-Ways-to-Drink-
    ***More-Water-Easy-Fun--How  -to-Hydrated  -Dehydration-Everyday

Copied 11/3/2013 
    Virginia Lynne - your name was removed from the article altogether and the page owner used it as her own writing (as a 53 year old woman, etc. ) with no mention of your name in the post.
    virginialynne  **10-Ways-for-Keeping-Weight-Of -After-Losing

Copied 10/18/2013 - took author's name off article.
    chrismcdade8
    How-to-Keep-a-Job -from-Stressing-You-Out

Copied 10/7/2013
    hunbbel-meer - your name was removed from this article
    Advantages-and-Health-***Benefits-of-Green-Tea

Copied 9/16/2013
    angelvicky
    Juicing You Way To Life
    Benefits of Drinking Citrus Juice

There are many articles that say the source is SparkPeople, but when I googled them, they belonged to people on wordpress and ivillage.
    You can't believe those posts belong to those sites, so check to see if any of them are yours.

You can trust the ones I put above with copy date because I sat and went through each of them. The ones who had no name, I googled them to see who they belonged to and I placed their name on the notation above.

if you see names on this list of hubbers who are NOT active, you might want to drop them a note to let them know this page has their content -in some cases, taken their name OFF the content, which is definitely stealing!
    Sorry for junking up the links so bad, I hope you can still figure out which hubs were stolen. TY

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8745075_f248.jpg

Mary McShaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I sent this message to OHealth on Facebook.

I wrote on your page asking you to please remove my article from your page. You copied my article word for word. YOU STOLE IT.  You still have not removed it.

I have alerted other writers at HubPages that you have stolen their content as well.  I have not heard back from you, so I reported your page to Facebook for copyright infringement.

Remove my content at once!

It is posted at:
      January 10 2014 What Genetically Modified Food Does To Humans. 

Just because you see something on the internet does not mean you can take it and repost it on your page.  I see you stole from sparkpeople as well, and I have reported you for copying their content too.  Write your own articles, stop stealing from others.
      Remove hubpages.com articles now.
      Mary McShane
      marymcshane.hubpages.com

The report I filed about OHealth with Facebook about this page copying content from Hubpages posted this reply to my Facebook dashboard.

"We reviewed the timeline of this page and we did not find any duplicate content of your claim with your name on it. If you feel we are wrong, you can appeal this claim, or file a new claim."

I went to OHealth page to click REPORT again and it says "You already reported this page."

So I went to Facebook's copyright form to file again on Facebook and now it says my email address is invalid and it won't take my report.
      I've had enough of this. I am done.

I can't even think of publishing more stuff on this site.  I have to keep worrying about a**holes copying my work. I"m told this is the norm on the internet. But I am not used to this. I don't think I can ever get used to this.

If I file a form to ask for removal and I prove the article is mine, it should be removed. In my opinion. If I file a report against them, and it comes back to me that they do not find in my favor saying they can't find the duplicate content or that they feel what I cited is not duplicate content,   I have no recourse?  It is not fair.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much Mary for letting me know about my stolen hub!!!  Thank you for all of your work!

1. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Mary, I have filed the papers, but I have no problem if they just popped in a link to my hub without them rewriting an article and putting their name on it.  So, if that is all they did, then that will just bring more traffic to my hub, if they have my link on their facebook page.  Thanks.

TYVM Faith Reaper

2. Mary McShane profile image78

You are welcome, Faith Reaper. I started letting you and others know by writing on the stolen hubs, but I have just been alerted to stop doing that and let people take care of this issue on their own. 

Facebook will not recognize my email when I reported this to them for copyright infringement.  About 2 hours ago, I had my sister fill out the form using her email address and they wrote back that OHealth will not remove the post and if I wanted to remove it from my Hubpages account so that the link goes dead, then I was welcomed to do that. 

I am not willing to do that. lol  I feel the page should remove our content.

Other hubbers I have contacted have said they don't care that their work was copied, and I have to accept that.

Two hubbers feel it is good for bringing visitors to their hubs. Although that may be all well and good, it sends a message to any website that it is ok to take our content as long as they put our link on it.

In the end we have to hope we get traffic from the link. Like a friend of mine said, if she were reading an article on another page or website where most of the article was copied, she'd have no reason to click the link to go to the site.  She read most of the article (the meat of it, so to speak) and she has other sites she likes to visit and read before she goes to work.

I may be too upset about this, or I may not be upset enough about this.
        Either way, I've let you all know, and I will stop now.

To all who have just found this forum, if you choose to file a form against FB or in some of the cases against other websites I have noted your hub was also copied to, I wish you good luck in your efforts.

3. Mary McShane profile image78

I'm sorry if hubbers don't see my point of view on this issue.

This FB page may have been a poor example to make here in this forum regarding so many copied hubs, (many with links and a few with no links or just the word Hubpages at end of article as source, and some with no author name listed or removed. 

The point was to show that hubs were being posted other than on HP and traffic may fall off or increase depending on how much of the article was copied vs if the reader wants to click link to read more.

If we approve SOME of these tactics as an acceptable practice, we will lose more and more of our rights within copyright laws. 

Look at how the laws have evolved just since 1975. (Yeah, I've been publishing that long and had to adapt with new changes to the laws as they were implemented).

We now have litigation regarding what is, or is not infringement being argued in courts of law.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#F … e_Internet

and  arguments for what is "fair use" as of 2003. See
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#F … e_Internet

We even have interpretations of what people's misconceptions about the concept of fair use, as judged by courts in infringement  cases. Here's a sample:

Fact: Giving the name of the photographer or author may help, but it is not sufficient on its own. While plagiarism and copyright violation are related matters—-both can, at times, involve failure to properly credit sources—-they are not identical. Plagiarism—using someone's words, ideas, images, etc. without acknowledgment—is a matter of professional ethics. Copyright is a matter of law, and protects exact expression, not ideas. One can plagiarize even a work that is not protected by copyright, such as trying to pass off a line from Shakespeare as one's own.

On the other hand, citing sources generally prevents accusations of plagiarism, but is an insufficient defense against copyright violations.

For example, reprinting a copyrighted book without permission, while citing the original author, would be copyright infringement but not plagiarism.

Above linked to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#C … rstandings

From wikipedia:
        Linking to infringing content

The law is currently unsettled with regard to websites that contain links to infringing material; however, there have been a few lower-court decisions which have ruled against linking in some narrowly prescribed circumstances.

One is when the owner of a website has already been issued an injunction against posting infringing material on their website and then links to the same material in an attempt to circumvent the injunction.

Another area involves linking to software or devices which are designed to circumvent (digital rights management) devices, or links from websites whose sole purpose is to circumvent copyright protection by linking to copyrighted material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mi … ng_content

While this website and others do not infringe for profit (more for vanity to have content on their site), they are by default infringing on our right to make a profit from the infringed works because they published it in part, in entirety, with or without links. Their original post of our material is deflecting readers from Hubpages because why go to Hubpages to read it when one can read it on non-Hubpages sites?

The "Why buy the milk when you can get the milk for free" adage your mother used to use to say comes to mind here. lol

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

Mary, thanks very much for all your work detailing all those stolen articles.
    It might be a good idea to edit your comment and break those links - just add a space somewhere in each. Not the hubbers hubs obviously, just the plagiarist sites.
    You have done a wonderful job bringing this to our attention!
    I have got a message at the top of the page advising me not to respond because this forum thread is inactive and has been for two months, but as far as I can see, you just posted it!

I did just post it. lol  Ok, I'll edit and break the links up. TYVM

3. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 10 years ago

Mary, thank you very, very much for pointing this out to me and the other people whose hubs have been copied. I appreciate all your work.

You are welcome AliciaC.

Please follow the rules for getting your work off their page.

I am in the process of shutting the page down, but if there are no other complaints from hubbers, FB told me they will not act on one person's (me) complaint and the report will come back unfounded.  You have to have a Facebook account to shut them down, which I do. 

I want this page shut down because the person who owns it is a habitual abuser. If you look on the page, Hubpages is not the only place copied, but it is the most copied. 

Sparkpeople, wikinut, wikihow and many other sites from the work of authors - all of which the page owner took the name off.  Some of the hubbers had no names on them and I had to search to see who owned the work.  So it is not right. That's the point. It's wrong.

The way some of the page is set up, it appears to be a hubber or a former hubber - just an observation on my part.  The work of one hubber had no name, I searched it, found the owner thru Google, but coming here to HP, there are no published hubs and no activity on profile tab.  That could be the owner of the page.

FB will not tell who the owner is on any of the FB pages.

So to all reading this, if your work is on that Facebook page, file a complaint with FB and with Google. I am but one person and need lots of help in getting the page shut down.

Thank you.

4. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 10 years ago

Great work, Mary, exposing the word thieves and warning Hubbers about this raid on their intellectual property.  I hope every person writing on HubPages will use the search method to determine whether or not their work has been plagiarized.

I've just begun the process with one hub, but pulled up three full Google screens of sites that copied the first paragraph of my (normally) best-performing hub that is currently experiencing much less traffic. Now I know why....

I don't write and publish on HP to have my work siphoned off by people who lack the ability to string words, sentences and punctuation together,  but want their websites, Facebook pages, blogs, etc. to look as though they are writers.  Theft is theft, whether the targets are tangible assets or intellectual property.

I, for one, will be checking to see if my fiction or poetry hubs have been stolen and encourage all creative writers on HP to do the same. Many of you are publishing creative writing here to get feedback about your writing, including excerpts of books you plan to publish in book or e-reader format to sell. Your copyright for those works could be infringed on by word pirates. Read Mary McShane's latest hub where she details the steps to take to (1) find out if your HP writing has been stolen, and (2) what to do if you discover plagiarism of your copyrighted work.

Unpublishing my fiction and other personal works I don't want cannibalized by plagiarists will reduce my total hubs by at least half.  I am very angry that I'm being forced into this action by crooks who are no better than the criminal who gets caught robbing a store and goes to prison.

5. Cardisa profile image86
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

This is so awesome of you to take the time to do all this. God bless you!

6. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Thanks, Mary. Compiling that list obviously took a lot of time and effort. smile

7. ologsinquito profile image82
    ologsinquitoposted 10 years ago

Thank you, I recently had to go through this with Facebook and another of my articles. I'll check this out.

8. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

Thank you so much for taking all the trouble and pointing out!
    I will have to see if my hubs are also copied, since decline in traffic is there.  I can see so many familiar hubber' s names and hubs in your list. Too bad and unethical to copy someone' s hard work.
    I hope there is a way to stop this. Thanks!

9. VictoriaSheffield profile image80
    VictoriaSheffieldposted 10 years ago

wow!

10. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

This is great work, many thanks. I'll be taking a close look.

11. Hendrika profile image68
    Hendrikaposted 10 years ago

Thank you for your hard work. I have to be honest I've come to just take it. I had a blog and noticed a guy stealing my articles and showing up above me on Google. I wrote to Godaddy where his domain was registered. They did not react. I also wrote to his hosting company who told him to remove it from his blog which he did, BUT it promptly appeared again on another blog he had. I went through the same exercise with the same results. Then it happened a third time and now I have just given up on this kind of thing. I keep seeing my blog post on other people's blogs and just let it go!

12. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Hi Mary. Please hang in there. You are such a good writer. It is discouraging. Pray for the people who steal to stop and for us to not let them stop us from writing. By writing we are helping others
    We have to be the winners.

Thank you Brakel2, I am trying to hang in here, but it is getting harder and harder.

Two hubbers have emailed me asking me to stop speaking on this forum about this particular Facebook page copying content.

Two other hubbers have work copied to websites that are not on Facebook and both have said they don't care and have asked me to stop.

So I am stopping now. sad

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Please do not.  Stop, that is.

Giving the thieves free reign to your hubs hurts not only you, but those very hubbers asking you to stop (unless it is their FB page!) and everyone else publishing on the web. 

Always, always go after the thieves.

1. PegCole17 profile image94
          PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Here, here, Mary. Do not be deterred by these people asking you to stop. Why would they want you to stop sharing information about stolen content? I have a good idea as to why.
          sad

13. Silver Q profile image91
    Silver Qposted 10 years ago

HI Mary Mcshane:
    Thank you very much for your thorough research. I'm not sure how to proceed since I'm a bit new with this. I did notice the page contained a link to my articles. Would that still decrease traffic to my hubs? I really don't know. Any advice?

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A link could increase your traffic.  A copied hub will probably decrease it, with or without a link. 

Any article copying your work is illegal and needs stopped ASAP.  Best bet is to file a DMCA form, requesting it be taken down.  There is a hub on my carousel giving specifics, and the learning center also has a guideline.

2. Mary McShane profile image78

Silver Q - I've only been here 3 months.  You've been here 2 years.

In the past week, I've been told I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to copyright infringements, even though I've filed and won against several websites who have copied my work. 

Obviously there is a different set of rules on Hubpages that I have yet to learn.

The short answer to your question "Would that still decrease traffic to my hubs?"  No. 

It may increase, it may stay the same. It depends on if anyone clicks to come to hubpages to read more.

If a link is supplied to your work, you will have to depend on readers clicking that link.  If the majority of your hub is copied, they have no reason to click to read any more. 

If the link is not supplied, then you have to decide if you want to have the content removed or ask the site to put in your link.

Either way, in my view, that allows any site to copy anything they wish and our rights, insofar as copyrights, will have less and less meaning.

14. Silver Q profile image91

Hi Mary Mcshane:
    Thank you for your quick answer. I have never filed anything. I started the process in the link you sent me in facebook, but became discouraged when I saw that I had to provide address and complete name and a lot of information , and that this information could possibly be shared with the "perpetrator." That made me a bit uncomfortable. Have you had any problems with any complaint filing in the past?

Thank you for your patience with me...

My sister filed for me because Facebook wouldn't recognize my email address. Yes,she had to provide a home address and phone number. To my knowledge, when I have done this before, the info does not get shared with the page owner. It is Facebook's verification system against your IP address.

15. Silver Q profile image91

Thank you very much, Mary!
    One last question: were your articles removed from
    FB once you posted the complaint?

If you visit the FB page, you will see all the hubs still listed as I detailed in the first post on this forum. They are all still there.

No, my content was not removed. My sister is appealing their decision since she is the one who filed the form for me. 

Since other hubbers work has been copied, I thought maybe if FB gets more complaints about this page, they would act in favor of hubbers. 

I guess I shouldn't have been so positive in my thinking.

I've been asked by two hubbers to stop pursuing this. 

You can do as you wish since the link to your hubs was provided.

Keep track of the number of views and see if they go up or down. Check your traffic sources on the hub link and see how many visits come to you from Facebook portal.  You can assume some of them will come from this page's link if you don't have links posted on your own Facebook page.

1. Silver Q profile image91
        Silver Qposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, please don't get me wrong. I'm very thankful for all the research and the trouble you went through informing each hubber about our stolen content. This is truly upsetting. I sent a message to this site asking to have my content removed, but I know that this hasn't been successful in the past. I will go ahead and file a complaint.
        Once again, thank you very much for all your diligent work!

You are welcome. Good Luck

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

I just received a long notice from facebook saying they could not find the specific url and said they need more info or either it has been removed already. I had posted on that facebook's page to please remove my article and posted the link. So it appears they have removed it.

I have been blocked from viewing the page. My sister's account is not blocked.  She said my article has been removed, but many other hubpages articles are still there on the page. Here is the URL in case they didn't read yours correctly. Include the date which was January 23, 2014. Close up the spaces in this to get the URL
        https://www.  facebook.com/  pages/  OHealth/  453779434662795

OHealth has filed a report against me for harrassing them.  Clearly writing on their posts that they were stolen went over really big because my Facebook account was first blocked yesterday from being able to see OHealth's page after I reported it.

My sister is appealing FB decision about my report. Now my FB account  has been suspended.  I am cut off FB. I have to name 15 faces of friends to be able to get the account back.

I am sick of all the games these websites play when they are in the wrong. 

However, I am letting my FB page go, unless my sister wins the appeal in my name for FB to give it back to me unconditionally without having to pass the face test.

bravewarrior asked who is this page owner?
          OHealth's page owner is someone who used to be on HP (I arrived at this conclusion from the disclaimer on the page, the amount of copying that has been done concentrating on HP posts and following the names OHealth, Gourmandia). One of OHealth's contributing writers no longer active on HP will give you the name) and she clearly doesn't like a new kid on the block calling her on the carpet.  I will not name her because I will not lose my HP account over someone like this.

16. lmoyer92 profile image61
    lmoyer92posted 10 years ago

Although it looks as though my work was not stolen, I wanted to let you know that your effort to help your fellow hubbers is very admirable. Thank you for the post.

17. Artois52 profile image82
    Artois52posted 10 years ago

Hi Mary.

Thanks for taking the time to report this to me.

I've checked the Facebook page in question and they would appear to have just copied the introduction and then provided a 'read more' link to the hub itself.

18. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 10 years ago

Mary, I appreciate all your work very much. You've made a big effort to help other hubbers and I'm very grateful.

I've left a comment on the Facebook post that's copied from my hub and I've sent a message to the company through Facebook. I pointed out that they say that they will remove their post if asked to do so by the original writer and that the other comment on the post is copied from my hub but attributed to the wrong person. I'm irritated by the company's lack of response, but I haven't reported them to Facebook. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me that copying just the introduction to the hub and leaving a link to it isn't as serious as copying the whole hub.

There are a few hubbers' articles on the above list where only the intro was copied with a link to the hub to "read more".  I believe you were one of them. That could bring traffic to your site IF the reader wants to read more. In this case, yes, it is free advertising.  You have more of a chance of readers clicking the link to come read here on HP and receive credit for the traffic/view. So, no, that is not a big deal.

If most of a hub is printed there with a direct link, like mine is and several others, my point is that readers will have no need to click to read more, because they read it all.  I received no credit for the traffic/ view on HP because it was read OFF of HP, on another site. 

A direct link leading to your hub does always equal free advertising, if most of the article is already there. How good is the advertising of your link if readers don't find the need to click it, because their curiosity was satisfied by reading most or all of your article on that webpage?

Regarding other articles where there is vague redirecting with just the word "hubpages"  listed at the end as source (no hubber name) - much like they wrote "spark people" on several posts, one cannot consider this free advertising. It is up to the reader to search the HP site looking for the article they were reading when no direct link is furnished.

It is a short leap from what this Facebook page did, to the next step which is to copy the whole article, and leave out the link to only put your name in at the end as -  Source: Alicia C on Hubpages.

Thank you to all who came to read, comment, investigate, agree or disagree. 

It is notification only, at this point. Whatever anyone wants to do (or not do) from here on, is up to them.
      Thank you,
      Mary

19. CraftytotheCore profile image74
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

I always appreciate it when someone alerts me that my work has been stolen.  Thank you.

This is not the first time it has happened to me.  I wish people would start writing their own instead of copying work from others.

20. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Dear Mary,

I really sympathize with you over your experience getting your plagiarized content removed and I'm glad it's gone now.

In my experience with Facebook, it often takes more than one DMCA request to get content removed – but eventually FB removes it BECAUSE IT HAS TO!

If you feel like you need a FB account and they won't let you back in, you can request a new IP address from your Internet service provider and start a new account.  If I were you, I'd forget FB and start over on Google+.  It's a better company and it does the right thing with DMCA requests.

Now, I would suggest that you write a review Hub on the company Vertamin Inc., the owner of Ohealth (check out vertamin.com). This is a professional, online marketing/SEO firm and I assure you that it knows that posting 212 words of any Hub content is plagiarism, pure and simple. It knows that posting the 12-word Description Tag (Summary on HP) with a link is acceptable, but it chose not to do that.  Also, it realized that the FB page was monetized by ads that profited FB and not you, the author of the content. I would certainly include a poll in the Hub so that we may vote our disgust for plagiarists. In your Hub, you might want to point out that Vertamin Inc. advertises that it "can provide assistance to publishers on an as needed basis in developing quality content." Isn't it a wonder that it can't do that for the Ohealth FB page!?!? You might also note that they did not apologize and instead tried to get you banned from FB. Seriously, who would want to buy water from Ohealth when they are known for theft and for lying (the FB page says they will remove content, but you had to go through a nightmare to do force them to do it).

After you publish the Hub, file complaints against Vertamin Inc. on the following websites:
    RipOffReport.com
    ComplaintsBoard.com
    Consumerist.com

If I were you, I would also note that Vertamin claims it "is an innovative web media network specialized in strategic online advertising. We work to connect publishers and advertisers to their audience through targeted and optimized advertising solutions for both desktop or mobile devices. Our vertical networks are geared towards the food, travel and female audiences, containing over 100 websites publishing high quality video, photo and text to attract and engage earnest visitors: two of which rank amongst the most popular in the food verticals. Our in-house developers and business analysts understand the world of online advertising and thrive to find new and innovative solutions to create better advertising opportunities for publishers and advertisers alike. We simply love advertising! We provide SEO optimization services and link building by joining our network and help in maximizing your revenues. We provide your business with free regular content updates for your website, including text, articles, images, videos, and blogs. Premium cooking websites tailored to achieving a gourmet lifestyle, and a travel vertical highlighting art, restaurants, and recreational activities within communities. We provide advertisers with access to individuals with high household incomes. Our network has created a platform for users to connect interactively."

21. Nigham AFZAL profile image81
    Nigham AFZALposted 9 years ago

Hello everyone!

I'm tooooo late to get this. It's been 10 months now but still I just don't want anybody to copy my hub.
    I tried that CHEATER Facebook link...but the page doesn't get open.

Kindly tell me what I have to do?

22. aesta1 profile image93
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

That is really disappointing when they refuse to remove the link and you were out of FB because of that. I don't understand why FB would do that. That is the reason why this is getting rampant. I just filed 3 DMCAS yesterday. Hope they get removed.

23. Ramkitten2000 profile image91
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

Until some lawsuits are filed and are successful, especially against the big guns like Facebook or Google, I fear nothing will change. Problem is, they have the ultra deep pockets, so they can afford to turn a blind eye and basically say "talk to the hand." Perhaps there will someday be an attorney or two who'll take some of these copyright infringement cases pro bono or on contingency and nail them. It doesn't matter whose work is being stolen -- and more often than not it's the little guy or girl -- it's still illegal and the web hosts and site owners are accessories to the crime if they refuse to help.

Oh, but when its Disney content, for one, that's infringed upon, even when it's the "little" guy or girl who draws one of their characters and tries to sell the artwork, they throw everything in their arsenal at them ... because they can.

1. LisaMarieGabriel profile image86
      LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have to say this because it needs action from everyone. It seems that every time I check my blogs I have spam comments telling me either about grey hat methods of improving my SEO or that I don't need to do all this writing (even though my blog is great and has wonderful potential) because there is X or Y software that will create articles for me. Meanwhile my email is full of dodgy "warriors" trying to sell me the same. This is not rare - it is happening every single day and consigning them to spam doesn't stop their emails and comments.

Until Google, Facebook etc develop a filter to rule out scraper software content then filing DMCAs is going to be a full time and totally soul destroying job. All we can do here is turn on the copyright notices on our articles - you can find this under display options on your hub's edit interface - it won't stop the criminals or the ignorant twits who buy and use this stuff but it WILL provide evidence for Hubpages and Google if you get hit for duplicate content. In the meantime, if anyone reading this IS using automatic blog writing software you are part of the problem, not the solution - it is not a victimless crime and you should cease and desist.

1. Nigham AFZAL profile image81
        Nigham AFZALposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I tried again and this time I was able to open that page. Yes! they do have still our hubs...mine too.
        When I tried to report...there were bullshits about copyrights and blah blah. I closed that option and simply text the page that you should take the hub down. It was my first hub...after what you did my scores got down and I'm no longer writing anything.
        I hope they still have a heart in them. :'(

24. Sam Montana profile image80
    Sam Montanaposted 9 years ago

Facebook's attitude towards plagiarism bothers me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)