Allow anonymous comments? enable in Hub settings

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (33 posts)
  1. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 10 years ago

It has been brought to my attention that non-members can no longer leave comments on our hubs without creating an account. I have friends and family members who are not Hubbers and until this past weekend were able to leave comments. Not so anymore. Frankly, this bothers me.

Does anyone know why this change was made? Why were we not advised?

1. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Was there an official announcement on this? This is the first I am hearing than non members cannot leave comments. Are you sure your comments settings are not set to signed in members only? You should check your account setting to make sure the settings are open.

Removed last comment.

bravewarriorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa, there was no announcement. I received two emails yesterday from friends saying they were prompted to sign up. Prior to this past weekend, they had no problem leaving comments. This cuts my family out of the picture also. I don't like finding things out third hand. HP should have given us the heads up. I'm curious to see if someone in authority responds to this forum.

1. Cardisa profile image89
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Double check your settings. Somehow my setting were set on "only signed in members", which is strange since I haven't fiddled with it for some time. Double check your settings.

1. Faith Reaper profile image84
            Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I never thought to check my settings on this issue.Thanks!

2. Faith Reaper profile image84

Are these settings under one's profile or where can they be found.  Under email settings?  I cannot seem to locate these settings.  Thank you.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
              Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Go here:
              http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/comments

That's where you change the settings for all of your comments: "Global Comments Capsules Settings."

To change the settings on a single Hub: In edit mode, click the edit button for the comment capsule.

1. Faith Reaper profile image84

Thanks so much.

3. bravewarrior profile image86

I can't find the settings either.

2. raymondphilippe profile image89
      raymondphilippeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That would be a pity. Approved comments add liveliness to the hubs.

3. Au fait profile image84
      Au faitposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just left a comment on one of your poems as a 'guest' to show you nothing has changed.  I signed out and then went to your profile page and chose a poem and left a comment.

Hm. I haven't gotten notification.

1. Au fait profile image84
          Au faitposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Be sure to check your Spam folder on your comments page.  I think you have to approve comments before they show, so I can't see mine until you do that since I submitted it.  I put it on Hearts and Rainbows -- a Poem.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back, but I had to go to work.

Au fait, you only have to approve them before they show if you set your comments settings that way. I've just converted all of my settings from HP's default settings from "per hub" to "no" across the board. That gives my readers no limitations. I still have the option to delete or not approve comments, but I feel most of our readers are trustworthy and that's the way I want to treat them. Thanx for posting a comment on my poem. I actually published my first poetry book with that title as part of the book's title. I don't know why I haven't been alerted that there's a new comment. Thanx for letting me know. I'll go check it out now.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am thinking that maybe your family members pulled up the "Sign Up" or "Sign In" page instead of your home page/profile.  They may have landed on:

http://hubpages.com/

2. luvtoowrite profile image41
    luvtoowriteposted 10 years ago

Maybe that's why traffic is down.

Luvtoowrite, I'm afraid this might turn non-members off on reading our hubs. I sure hope not. I get lots of page views from people outside HP. Of course, not many comment, but still..... those who do may not come back!

1. LCDWriter profile image90
        LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8746569_f248.jpg

I just went to one of your pages logged out.  I think your family might be getting confused by what I circled in green.  But you only have to use what I have circled in blue.  You can test it yourself by logging out, going to one of your hubs and trying to leave a comment.

I can't see what you've circled. Is there anyway you can make it larger? The emails I received from friends who can't leave a comment are ex-Hubbers. They know the ropes.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8746874_f248.jpg

It keeps shrinking it.  Sorry.  The point is that there is something beside it that says you can sign up.  But there is nothing to stop you from just commenting without signing up.

3. LCDWriter profile image90
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

I just tested from signed out and it allowed me to make a comment without signing in or having a user name. It must be your settings.

4. Cre8tor profile image93
    Cre8torposted 10 years ago

Yeah, you may want to double check this. I get non-member comments all the time...not so much lately though....hmmm.

5. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

I had comments today from non-Hubbers.

6. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 10 years ago

I just received a comment from a guest user.  Perhaps it's the settings?

I'll have to check it out. The problem was actually on another hubber's post who interviewed me. I haven't changed the settings on my page, so maybe it's her and not me. I'll check it out. Thanx, all.

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

Not actually true.  You CAN leave a comment as a non-registered user--HP has only made it APPEAR that you cannot.

I just signed out and did exactly that on a hub, by way of experimentation.

You just need to explain that to your friends...that they can go ahead and leave a comment, filling in whatever name they'd like to have appear in the 'name' box, then make their comment and click 'submit.'

It will go through, and not give any message such as "only registered users may comment."
    Some authors may have moderation in place, where comments become visible only after approval, and a dialog box will come up to announce that, if such is the case.
    Other authors may have their individual settings configured for registered users only--it is an option,--in which case the comment may well be denied, but it is not a global setting by Hub Pages.
    (My hubs actually have both of these settings in place, after I had long period with a slew of "comments" from outsiders that were spammy and full of links.)

I think it has to do with settings. I just checked mine and they were all marked "by hub" or something to that effect. I changed them all to "no" meaning I have no restrictions. I think perhaps the settings on GC Publications is the culprit. I was featured in one of her articles and non-members couldn't comment without being prompted to sign up. Sorry for the scare, folks!

Glad you found it.  I just went and read your Wild Hare hub (which was very interesting, btw) and commented as a signed out user and it let it go through.

Yeah, I just checked one of my hubs by coming in through a different browser. All is well. So, how to I close this "little boy that cried wolf" forum thread?

We could change the topic to the weather or the price of eggs in China? ;-)

Go for it! I'm game. I feel like such a durned fool right now. :-(

8. Au fait profile image84
    Au faitposted 10 years ago

The reason I thought you had your comments set to be approved first is that when I submitted my comment I couldn't see it anymore, and that's usually what happens when someone chooses to approve comments before they go public.

Agree with you, that most people aren't going to post spam and even if they do, the world won't end if it's posted for a few minutes/couple of hours before I discover it and delete it.  Be sure to let me know if my comment showed up.

I just now finished responding to a comment on one of my own hubs that was posted by a guest, not a member of HP, so if people aren't able to post comments to your hubs if they aren't HP members, I would contact the HP team and see what gives.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)