jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Should I start over or rewrite?

1. Cre8tor profile image95
    Cre8torposted 2 years ago via iphone

I have some Hubs that I think could be better with some things I've learned. Should I rewrite them via editing to save the URL or should I start from scratch so the URL is updated as well? I'm aware the new Hub would have to rank but I wouldn't be losing much by deleting the original as far as traffic is concerned.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Paradigmsearch is right - Google does respect age, so changing a URL on an existing Hub is not a good idea.  The URL is not that critical, anyway - what's in the Hub is far more important!

2. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

As far as I know, hub age is still a big deal with Google. How old are they?

3. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

And then again, if you've determined that G has become adamantine about hating a certain hub (like a few of mine), then deletion would indeed be the best course.

4. Cre8tor profile image95
    Cre8torposted 2 years ago via iphone

A couple are around 2 years old and I've updated the titles a couple times since so the URL is related but not all that close to the title. I'm also thinking complete overhaul. Same topic but layout, wording and some photos...all gone.

1. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If it's the same topic then I suggest not starting from scratch but a rewrite using the same URL. What you could do to re-index your hub so Google pays it attention is unpublish, remove the URL from search, rewrite/edit, then republish. This way you keep your URL and the age of the hub, but have sent out fresh content.

Cre8torposted 2 years ago in reply to this

So does unpublishing the Hub remove it from search or do I need to request that from Webmaster or ???

Edit: Sorry if that's a dumb question...

1. Cardisa profile image90
          Cardisaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, you need to use webmaster tools for that. However, you could just unpublish , edit then republish the hub. Keep the hub indexed and allow Google spiders to recrawl it when republished with new keywords.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I would advise against that.  Google recrawls the Hub regularly anyway, and will discover the fresh content all on its own. Why ask Google to remove it from search results and remove all its old ranking so it has to start from scratch?

Thanks. I think that's the way I'll go then. I appreciate everyone's input on the matter. I guess I thought the URL would be more important than it is.

5. Mickji profile image83
    Mickjiposted 2 years ago

It is always best to edit the old Hubs, because they have points and because you may occure in the duplication problem. Also if you will make that Hub specific, then you can write a new one that "turns around" the same argument, like a page 2 of a tutorial. In this way you will have two great Hubs.

"Turnaround" is one of the things I aim to improve. I've done a lot of that but think my web is a bit, poorly woven. Thanks Mickji.

working