jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Reciprocal Links

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

Are we penalized for linking to another of our hubs with reciprocal links?

For instance, a 'how to' recipe linked, say, to a recipe Hub, and that recipe linking back to the "how to" Hub?

I'm sure it's "promotional" only when it's to an outside site, but can we fearlessly place reciprocal links like this (without overdoing it, of course)?

Also, if we are linking to another hub of our own, should we choose "no follow" or "do follow" for those links?

Thanks much.

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It is fine as long as they are hubs about the same subject. One recipe hub for desserts would go fine with another one that offers a dessert for instance.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am thinking of a basic, "how to prepare" article, linked to a recipe hub that uses the ingredient in the 'how to' article..

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
          Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It sounds fine to me.

2. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If I understand you correct you are linking both articles together, back and forth. That is called cross linking and Google frowns on that. You are only allowed to link one way, the minute you link back Google penalizes you for it.

In other words link the "how to" hub to the "recipe" but do not return the link from the "recipe" to the "how to" hub.

3. Writer Fox profile image76
      Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, you may link to other related Hubs – your own or someone else's. A "reciprocal link" only applies for links from other websites.  Don't reciprocal link with other websites which you control because Google will downgrade those links.  But, internal links (links within the same site like on HubPages.com) are not considered reciprocal if Hub A links to Hub B and Hub B links to Hub A.  I do it all the time. Also, the Groups feature does this and the 'Discover More Hubs' section.

Use followed links for interlinking your Hubs.  You want PageRank to flow to your Hubs and you want to send the message to Google that you, as the subdomain owner, recommend the webpage you are linking to.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ah, thank you, Writer Fox for your clear and succinct explanation.  Much appreciated.  I also learned something; I did not know that the term "reciprocal" only meant outside referrals. That would not be the dictionary definition of the term.  (Since I have no outside sites, other than my badly neglected blogs, that's not an issue.)
        No wonder people get confused by computers and the internet.  They make up their own definitions!
        Thanks, too, for the info on the follow/no follow bit--that is another confusing piece of the Internet pie. In many ways, I find navigating the 'net to be like eating a cherry pie, but the cook forgot to pit the cherries.

1. Writer Fox profile image76
          Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome.  All of these things are SEO issues and SEO is ever-changing.

2. Fryday profile image82
    Frydayposted 3 years ago

If you are just linking to a recipe, not a whole other article, I do not see them penalizing you for it.

working