jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Amazon capsule and disabled ads

1. Colleen Swan profile image94
    Colleen Swanposted 2 years ago

I am constructing a new hub and the ads have been disabled because of the subject matter; assisted suicide.
    Can I still use the amazon ad capsule?
    I tested it and it brings up the perfect product; a book on the subject; suicide legal discussion.
    Thanks for your help.

1. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, you can add Amazon and eBay products to your article. Adsense is very sensitive when it comes to these kinds of subjects.

2. Writer Fox profile image81
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Actually, AdWords sells advertising for about 480 keyword phrases using the term "assisted suicide."  It's probably HubPages which doesn't want to show the ads.  You could send an email to the team and ask them.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image86
        Marina Lazarevicposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Actually, the majority of our ad safety content guidelines are based on the AdSense policy. If it's ok for them, it's ok for us. However when a Hub falls in the grey area, we tend to err on the side of safety.

For some reason, the applicable part of the policy is not published in the AdSense Help Center, but Google has referenced it via email and I see that another publisher was discussing it in the product forums. It's their "sensitive content" policy:

"Google does not allow the monetization of content that may be sensitive, tragic, or hurtful. While we believe strongly in the freedom of expression and offer broad access to content across the web without censoring search results, we reserve the right to exercise discretion when reviewing sites and determining whether or not we are able to provide a positive user experience delivering contextually targeted ads to a site with this type of content."

1. Fryday profile image83
          Frydayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you!  That was very helpful! :-)

2. Fryday profile image83
    Frydayposted 2 years ago

Unfortunately, since "assisted legal suicide" is not legal in very many states,  Google will always see your Hub as TOS violation. It is a great topic however, one I recently watched a documentary on. :-(

3. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 2 years ago

Adsense sells advertising for some adult related content, even some tobacco and sexually related health issues, however as their policy states they do NOT allow their publishers to place ads on such content/websites. These sites are labeled as "not family safe". Since Hubpages is supposed to be family safe, they wont allow ads on that particular content.

It's kind of contradictory on their part. They sort of separate their Publisher policies from their Advertiser policies.