Are you happy with your Hubber score?

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (49 posts)
  1. merej99 profile image74
    merej99posted 10 years ago

I was sitting pretty at a 95 for a while.  I really liked that number.  Suddenly it jumped to 97.
    Call me crazy but I like that it went higher - kind of - sort of - but you see...  Now I want to KEEP it.
    I'm kind of possessive that way. 

I see a bunch of people with 100 hubber scores and I'm like DANG! Thank goodness that's not me or I would pressure myself and do everything in my power to keep it.  I do it to myself.  I know I do!  But I can't be the only one.  So who out there is happy with their hubber score?  Who wants to improve and who wants to stay where they are?

1. Mary McShane profile image78
      Mary McShaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I read somewhere that hubber score only changes once in 24 hours or so. But not so for my score.

Mine has been going up and down like a yo yo in the last 6 or 7 days, as much as 9 points per day! And in the wrong direction!!! 

If I comment somewhere, it goes back up. If I publish, it goes up.

If I have a 6 hours or more of inactivity, I can expect to sign on and see it drop. If I hub hop, it seems to go down, so I stopped doing that for now.

So, no I am not happy with the hub score situation.  I'm an overachiever and like it in the high 90's and most days now I'm lucky to even break 90. In fact at this writing, it is at 87. Not happy at all. sad

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm OK with it right now. It could be better, but not by much.

3. prospectboy profile image87
      prospectboyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm fairly satisfied with mines. It's been hovering between 95 and 99 for the past few months. I'm okay with that.

4. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some hubbers are never here, never comment and don't answer back to the comments they have on their hubs and their score stays high. 100 score for barely being here and not doing new hubs doesn't seem right.
      My score has dropped I have not been able to be on here much because of a sick husband. I check in each day if I can but don't get a lot of time to make comments. I guess we will never figure it out.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Actually, I have figured out the Secret Hubber Score Code.

With each Hubber it is different. You'll have to figure yours out on your own.

With me, it is as follows...

When my Hubber Score is 90 or above, HP likes me.

When my Hubber Score is 89 or less, HP is perturbed with me about something.

Oh, well...

Update/edit: I made this post when my score was 89. Who knows what it is now... big_smile

3. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 10 years ago

I work on multiple accounts. Hub Author score is largely based on your use of the forums and commenting and things like that, which is something I do mostly from this (my "main" because it's my "original" account). Two of my (rather large) handful of accounts have a hub author score of 99, which is incredible. Another two are at 90 and climbing.

Gotta say, I'm happy with those scores. I tend to work less at promotion than most hubbers do, but I make sure to reply to all comments on all hub accounts other than this one, and I pay attention to what's going on around me.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 10 years ago

Yes, I am happy with my Hubber score. It has remained in the nineties for years so I can't complain...hopefully it won't drop after this..lol

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image80
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

In almost three years on HubPages my score has fluctuated between mid-80s and 100 for no reason I can discern.  I think this site would be a great deal more productive if they got rid of hub scores, hubber scores, featured hubs, accolades that deal with anything other than pure stats, and awards.  No matter what they do or say or how they say it, someone is going to feel slighted.  I think the primary purpose of all these things is to justify the existence of staff positions and endlessly attempt to attract Google's attention to this site.
    Having said all that, do I notice when my scores change?  You betcha!

merej99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do like the accolades and featured hubs, and writing competitions. It's kind of a motivating factor for me.  *But* I think I'm leaning toward your opinion that a hubber score is not necessary...even if I do watch it like a hawk! smile

6. Carmelo Milian profile image60
    Carmelo Milianposted 10 years ago

I have been a member for 3 years, however, I have made only 2 post, One 3 years ago and one last night. smile

I have now an impressive score of 73!  Looking forward to really engaging in more articles.

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are now at 78 and you only got 2 articles so far.  Good job!  smile

7. Cash Krysztof profile image61
    Cash Krysztofposted 10 years ago

Mine is sitting on 88 at the moment, which I'm fairly content with, but it has been as high as 92 in just the short time I've been here and you can bet I miss being in the 90's, so I'd like to get back up there. I published a below-par hub the other day that I need to go back to and revise to get its score up and once I do that, hopefully I can see my hubber score climb back to dizzying heights again too.
    I'm competitive by nature, so I absolutely HAVE to have the best score I can get and I already know that that's at least four points higher than it is right now. The same goes for my hub scores too, though - I have one hub at 91, so now I find myself wanting to get my others all up to the same level, too.

That sounds so much like me!  We'd make a deadly, unstoppable team.  LOL
      Get those hubs up!  smile

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was in the 90s for a LONGGGG time, suddenly as of 3 weeks ago, the score dipped to 90 then 89 where it stayed for a while then 87 and NOW 86, $%#!%!%!.  Come ON NOW!
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8704749_f248.jpg

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I am okay with my score, but I must admit that when hubless spammers routinely have scores in the mid-70s I wonder why I even care....

I know what you mean.  I see the spammers and I can't help thinking WHY do they have a score?  Then again, I kind of like seeing my hub score but WHY?  I would only obsess if it went down and I have enough issues.  LOL

9. Mark Lees profile image78
    Mark Leesposted 10 years ago

Mine is at 90 now, but was 96 a few days ago. I expect that when I post my next hub tomorrow it will go back up again, although of course I can't be sure of that.

10. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 10 years ago

I don't get it. Mine's pretty consistent, and I thought this was all based on an algorithm that isn't human-controlled. My Hunger Games account (which I'm currently working on) is already at a 90 with only two published hubs on it, and very little interaction with other people. I don't get it at all.

11. amiebutchko profile image71
    amiebutchkoposted 10 years ago

I so relate to your post.  Even though I try to convince myself it doesn't matter, every time it goes up, I feel more pressure to keep it there!!!!!   If it drops down, I feel like I am not working to my potential and strategize on how to return it to former "glory."  It is a roller coaster for sure!

12. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Yes, If it is too low or it goes down then it shows me that I must work at becoming a better writer.

13. plogan721 profile image79
    plogan721posted 10 years ago

I would have to laugh at my score.  I write a lot, but not here, but on my blogs, and sometimes I wish that hubpages could use the info from my blogs and make them work.   I know that will never happen.  All of my blogs are from Google's Blogger site, and Google frowns on repeats, so i will have to deal like everyone else.
    As for my score, it could improve, but I have not written anything on Hubpages in about 6 months, so seeing an 85 is a surprise to me.

14. Writer Fox profile image30
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

There is a Hubber on this site with over 200 Hubs and 10,000,000 views.  Guess what the Hub Score is: 85. 

The Hubber Scores do NOT reflect success on this site and that's the way the staff wants it to be.  Go figure!

15. profile image0
    JMac778posted 10 years ago

I'd say I'm happy with my score. It recently jumped from upper 70's to 87 (as of writing this). I think mostly related to post 2 quality hub relatively close together and hopefully a third is scored well. I'm happy as long as I stay in the 80's or higher. Who knows it might improve if I rework some of my first hubs now that I understand what I'm doing better.

16. lady rain profile image95
    lady rainposted 10 years ago

I'm happy with my score. As long as it stays above 90 with good traffic, there's nothing much to complain about.

17. Nadine May profile image70
    Nadine Mayposted 10 years ago

Wow I'm impressed with these high scores. I seem to stay at 78. Not that it in any way effects me because I do not believe its a reflection of the quality of my articles. I'm happy with them and that is more important.

18. mdgardner profile image92
    mdgardnerposted 10 years ago

I've been trying to figure that score since started here. Mine went from 98 to 83 for no apparent reason. I guess I'm happy if it's high 80's or 90's even though I don't really know  what it means.

19. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 10 years ago

I am not happy with my Hubber score. I was at 95- 98 before Panda and then the score went down to as low as 92. Now it has gone down drastically. I don't think Hubber score affects earnings, but it is definitely demotivating me to write more here.

20. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 10 years ago

Mine is usually 99, today it is 98 .... I rarely come here.
    No idea what makes it so great, totting up the "facts":
    • Don't come here often, coming back, but not been here a lot for 6 months
    • Not written anything new for 6 months (maybe 1-2, maybe 0 posts in 6 months)
    • When I left traffic had dropped - today it's half what it was when I left
    • I don't even have time to hang out on these forums.

So .... completely absent = still a high score.

I must be wearing lucky pants or something smile

definitely lucky pants - LOL.  I've come to the conclusion that my hubber score is a very shiny thing that we may be better off not having but find it precious all the same  (pic credit to Lord of the Rings)

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8778078_f248.jpg

2. Writer Fox profile image30
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your candor and for providing proof, once again, that what HP says in the Learning Center simply isn't true, i.e.,

" How do I earn a high Hubber Score?
      By frequently publishing high-quality, original Hubs and being a positive force in the HubPages community (helping others in the Forums, leaving insightful comments on others' work, asking good Questions that prompt detailed, helpful Hubs, etc.), you can easily improve your Hubber Score."

Do they sell those "lucky pants" on Amazon?

1. earner profile image81
        earnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes they do, I should write a hub about them, with an Amazon module on there.
        Maybe I "paid my dues" on all the important stuff a long time ago.... I've been around a good number of years now .... and had over 2million views... so I guess that counts for something.
        But I'll still write a hub about lucky pants, as I need the commission

21. aingham86 profile image72
    aingham86posted 10 years ago

I tend to forget about mine. I don't understand how it changes at all, so can't figure out how I can make it go up or down. I've found it's stuck between 95 and 99 for a while though now. I've started commenting on more hubs and using the forums a lot more lately, so maybe that is helping somewhat.

Am I the only one who forgets about it? I tend to focus on the hub scores more than my author score.

If it's got a number and a score I tend to obsess a little.  I call it one of my little aspie things...with a mad dash of ocd. I'm trying switch gears in my head so it doesn't "mean so much" to me.

1. Writer Fox profile image30
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Meredith, your score is great.

Once you are on this site for a while, you will realize that traffic is really the most important thing on this website and that's the thing to 'obsess' about.  Until Hubs start receiving good traffic (from outside of HubPages), Hubs won't earn any money and you are simply donating (volunteering) your time and energy with little return.  Even if you are just writing here for a hobby, few will see your articles without good SEO and traffic from search engines.

As much as HP staff publicly complained all over the Internet when traffic from Google took a nosedive, the Hubber and Hub Scores do NOT reflect content which is successful on search engines.

When looking for examples of people who are doing well on HubPages, don't look at the Hubber Score; look instead at the accolades for traffic and learn from those people. You are a good writer (I'm one of your followers) and just learning a few SEO techniques will bring your Hubs the traffic they deserve.

Thank you Writer Fox!  I enjoy and learn so much from your posts.  From you wisdom I actually burned the midnight oil posting some of my hubs on Google+  (I still don't know what I'm doing & it's time consuming) **BUT** when I woke up this morning I had about 30 more views than normal **AND** I finally broke the TWO DOLLAR mark on my earnings!  LOL  I was literally making anywhere from a penny to eight cents on any given day - and YES, I did the happy dance. 
          From your posts you have really taken many writers under your wings. So THANK YOU for sharing your wisdom. big_smile

2. aingham86 profile image72
        aingham86posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Gotcha.
        I started with the aim to get it to 100, but I just couldn't figure out how it worked. When I started at Wizzley, it was the same. I soon found out how to make that number grow and it's worked. I'm not at 100 and trying to keep it there. As I realized I wasn't figuring it out here, and found that more people couldn't work it out, I decided to let it slide and focus on the hub scores and my traffic. Writer Fox is right about the traffic being the most important one to obsess over.

22. fiftyish profile image60
    fiftyishposted 10 years ago

Reading the replies here, it's clear to me that the Hub Score is about as transparent as a Google algorithm. What this means is that people play around and test various things, and just when they think they've cracked the code, so to speak, everything they thought they'd discovered then changes right in front of their eyes without logical explanation.

Earner (above commenter) says he rarely contributes on here in any way, and doesn't even login all that often, yet his score sits pretty at 98.  Others have said they publish hubs regular, and interact with others on the site, yet they can’t get out of the 80s.

It seems to me that the Hub Score is some kind of psychological carrot that dangles at members to do more, post more, and strive tirelessly to up that number. By doing this, they provide yet more free content for the site, when in actual fact it's probably just some silly number that randomly goes around tweaking members digits without any real aim or purpose.

Google, god bless them, have got the entire web running around like headless chickens as webmasters attempt to get into their favour and achieve page one slots in the SERPs. But the fact is that Google dominates the SERPs with sites, products, and services that matter to them. Heck, they've just escaped a $5 billion penalty by reluctantly complying with European antitrust regulators, promising to give some of its prime search real estate back to competitors. In other words, they have promised to be fairer (in Europe at least), by being a more responsible monopoly.

Alas, all these internet giants are playing games and breaking the rules (they wouldn't keep showing up in law courts if they weren't), but what they all forget is that none of them would exist if it wasn't for us, the people who populate the internet with our content, our websites, our blogs, and our forums.

Back to the Hub Score, I don't know why it has to be yet another 'unknown' internet algorithm, and if Hub Pages gave guidelines on how to score better, and more importantly, what the score actually means to members; then the competitive types could really go for it. After all, if we were to compete in a hundred meter race, it's no "secret" that the fastest runner would be the winner!

So c'mon all you internet giants, stop with your secretive games and just tell us what we need to do to improve, and those who want to compete, can do, and those who want to plod, can also go their own way.

Rant over!

Andy Aitch

BRAVO!  An excellent rant.  I loved every word.
      But good lord, Andy - I just started learning about SEO and you throw SERP in there? What the heck is a SERP???  LOL

1. fiftyish profile image60
        fiftyishposted 10 years agoin reply to this

SERP is a search engine results page merej99 and SERPs is the plural of that wink

23. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Hubscore is clearly a psychological carrot do do what Hubpages wants (without making it totally clear what that even is).   IMHO traffic and earnings are the key metric.  Anything is is mostly gamification.

24. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 10 years ago

I never really care about my Hubber Score, as long as it stays in the 90's which it usually does. Hubber Score is just an algorithm by HubPages that isn't really important. For me, traffic is the big one. If I ever check out anyone's profile, I might take a look at their accolades such as traffic milestones etc, that is the important one.
    You are a fantastic Hubber, Meredith and keep doing what you are doing. Keep those great hubs coming and with time, traffic will start coming. It will take about 3-6 weeks until you see visits from Google. Traffic = earnings. smile

25. JessBraz profile image91
    JessBrazposted 10 years ago

I loved your comment about being possessive of your Hubber Score! I feel the same way.. lol.

My is currently at 98... It hovers between 89-98... I know they say that you shouldn't pay any mind to your hubber score, but I agree with you that it's hard not to sometimes... I've never hit 100 and if I did, it would drive me crazy not really understand how or why I hit 100 and it would probably hurt my feelings when they inevitably dropped it.

26. cfin profile image64
    cfinposted 10 years ago

I went from 99 to 81 and back up to 87 without any reasoning. Not much you can do about any of it.

27. kittythedreamer profile image75
    kittythedreamerposted 10 years ago

I have 100 but it was only after I stopped worrying about it did it go up to that number. When I was trying to get it up, it wouldn't go up...now that I don't try or particularly care it stays up. Just keep publishing quality hubs and commenting on others hubs when you get the chance otherwise don't spend time worrying about the score. smile

1. cfin profile image64
      cfinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Indeed! Think positively.

28. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I'm kinda bummed about mine. After the bottom dropped out, it finally went up to 88 and then I published 2 articles and it dropped to 85. Even when I got hotd it didn't go up. sad

29. William15 profile image89
    William15posted 10 years ago

When I publish, it goes up. When I stop, it slowly creeps back down.

30. Haiden William profile image69
    Haiden Williamposted 10 years ago

Ehh mine has been jumping around sporadically since i joined two weeks ago, im pretty happy with 80 atm big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)