jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Subcategory Suggestion for "Books, Literature and Writing" category.

1. Cardisa profile image92
    Cardisaposted 3 years ago

The Subcategory is English Language which has four subcategories:
    - American vs British English
    - English Language Idioms
    - English Slang
    - Etymology of English words.

Can I ask that a subcategory "Word Meaning" be added to the English Language subcategory? The closest one thus far is Etymology but Etymology is the study of the origin of English words. Though it covers word meaning it has more to do the how the words have evolved throughout history.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good suggestion, Cardisa! I'll create the new Topic either this afternoon or tomorrow. smile

Cardisaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Christy. That's awesome! big_smile

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
          Christy Kirwanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Okay, you can now find the new Topic, Word Definitions and Meanings, under Books, Literature, and Writing>The English Language>Word Definitions and Meanings. You can start putting Hubs in the new Topic right away, but it won't get its own Topic page until it has 5+ Featured Hubs in it, just FYI.

Thanks Christy. I started a hub on the topic, I'll edit the category smile

2. Writer Fox profile image78
            Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Three out of the four linked pages under the English Language Topic have a grey PageRank (not a good sign).  If you add another category for a single-Hub or five-Hub page, it will further dilute the PR4 flow of page rank to the other four pages. It would be better to change Etymology to 'Etymology and Meaning of English Words'.  There are only 17 Hubs on that page and it has been several months since a new one has been published in that Topic.  Google notices these things and the four subtopics in that category are having a PageRank problem right now.

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Isn't that what "Etymology" means? It is the study of how words get their semantic meaning?

That's not what I understand it to be but I could be wrong. I'll leave that answer for the more educated people.

3. LCDWriter profile image93
    LCDWriterposted 3 years ago

I think that etymology is the study of the history of the word and how it gets its meaning so it would seem to me that category covers both word meaning and the evolution of the word up to the current definition and pronunciation.  I haven't seen what Cardisa is writing about in that category but my thought is that keeping the etymology-history and meaning--together would make more sense as Writer Fox mentioned  Otherwise it would just be dictionary entries which I can't imagine would do well.

working