jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How long before you decide a Hub isn't going to take off?

1. William15 profile image86
    William15posted 2 years ago

I know that it takes a while to build organic traffic, but for some hubs, they'll never "take off" while others build steady traffic after only a few weeks. It seems that most of mine start with a decent trickle and then become duds or stars after about a month. What has been your experience?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

When I first started Hubbing, most of my Hubs took at least three months to take off.   I've had some late starters, which didn't get going for almost a year.

If you're active in the HubPages community, you'll see a burst of traffic when you first publish a Hub as other Hubbers notice it.  Then you'll get a lull, until Google recognises its value, and starts to rank it well enough to get search engine traffic.  Many factors determine how a Hub ranks, but it's worth remembering that age is one of them.   So don't write off a Hub just because it doesn't get traffic.

2. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I wrote a set of hubs in the same niche in 2011 - 2012 and they are just now getting noticed. That leaves me to believe that not all hubs take off at the same rate. I wrote a hub in October and it immediately took off. I mean, since I published it, it has been in the top 5 daily trafficked hubs for me.

So, so long as your article is search friendly, well written and interesting, I see not reason to write if off unless it sits there idle for at least five years..lol....well maybe fives years is pushing it big_smile

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

I don't worry about it anymore. I've had hubs that I wasn't sure would catch on that "took off" right out of the gate and I've had others that felt like "sure things" but went nowhere.
    Now I just write what I feel like writing about and throw it out there. If the Internet likes it, great. If not, I write another one and try again.
    It may not be the most profitable method but it's less stressful.

3. janshares profile image87
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

I have yet to have a hub just "take off" out of the gate. I agree with others that it takes time before you can see traffic increase and stabilize. Relatively speaking, most of my hubs are "duds" in terms of great traffic. But I have no plans to get rid of any of them. The few that are getting really good traffic took months to get there, so I'll see if the other duds can do the same. I think those hubs may need major overhauls in editing. But I'm just not pressed to do it right now. I'd rather put energy into creating new hubs that will pick up the slack of the duds.

1. William15 profile image86
      William15posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I'd rather create new content than try to play the SEO game and tweak old content.