jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

Photo Capsules

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

I have noticed a problem that sometimes happens when uploading photos.  That is, they end up in the wrong orientation, posted sideways, instead of as they actually are.

This seems to happen randomly, and without relation to whether or not the photo was rotated in Photoshop during editing preparation, or not.  Sometimes, running the photo back through PS and re-rotating it helps; usually not.

It would be very helpful, therefore, if within the photo capsule upload area, there was an option for rotating the picture if it comes out rotated the wrong way. 
    If the problem cannot be fixed, the photo must either be re-taken (not always possible), or substituted for a less-desirable public domain image, or worst of all, left as-is, which looks very odd and unprofessional.

Can we get a "rotate" option, please?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The HubPages photo capsules should display images in the exact orientation in which it was uploaded. 

I double checked with our engineering team and the photo capsule should also rotate images based on the orientation information (if present) in the Exif data. Simply, this is metadata your camera writes to a JPEG or other image file telling other programs that it was shot in portrait or landscape mode.

For now, I would suggest using the photo editing features or software on your computer and upload the image in the desired orientation.

If you have examples of specific images form your camera that are not being re-oriented on upload based on the Exif info, please let me know and we can do further testing with the exact image.

You may want to see if you can find a program for Windows XP that will show you the Exif info as well.

xnView may be a good option.

I agree the ability to rotate and image would be a helpful feature and have forwarded it to our engineering team to be considered as a future feature.

DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Interesting, because the image I had trouble with this time was not rotated, (in other words, I did not rotate the camera to a "higher than wide" position), either when I took the photo, or in Photoshop.

In fact, I had to go back into Photoshop and rotate it to an INCORRECT (90 degrees clockwise) position,  in order to have it upload correctly for my article...which was uploading the photo rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise from how it was originally taken and uploaded, i.e., normal position.

Thank you very much for suggesting this to your engineering department!

2. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've never had this happen to me. I wonder why it happens when you upload photos.

I have no idea, but I've had it happen both in Chrome and Firefox.
        I no longer use IE at all; it's way too slow and unstable.

1. sallybea profile image97
          sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That is interesting - I have never had it happen to me either.

3. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've had the same problem but only when I had to rotate the photo using my graphics program. Most of them were scans of photos so all I had to do was change the orientation of the original and scan it again. The weird part is that it doesn't happen every time.

That's true, sheilamyers, it is an intermittent problem, which makes it nearly impossible to track down.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I suspect this is caused by the orientation metadata in your photo. I get rid of this by changing photo format (e.g. jpg to png)

Hmmm....but I wonder, how would that information be 'wrong' when no change happened from how it was taken, to how it appeared after uploading to computer, and no orientation edit was done in photoshop?????