jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Redirect from forum: malware on user's computer

1. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I just got a spontaneous redirect

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/120668
    to:
    www dot celebritybeautymag dot com-html.pw/exclusive/index.html?t202id=8617&t202kw=

It may be my own malware issue but I am posting it just in case.

1. 60
      descentiongalposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If its possibly infectious, why would you link it? Just saying, you should probably demolish part of the link.

psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

the link is not infectious in any way

1. 60

Then how do you account for you having a browser redirect from it? Bad luck? Seriously, I visited that link from this thread earlier and have been redirected by it twice in the way you describe. Im just saying, maybe its one of those things you shouldn't be advertising all around town. Besides external links are not permitted in the forums. That is why. Remove the link or ill report it.

psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

No website can be coded so that page directly causes browsers to come to it.  The code has to come from a program on your own computer, or from the url you are redirected from.  That second possibility is why i posted here.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I just tested the forum thread link and am not getting a redirect.
      Is anyone currently experiencing this issue?
      Sounds as if it could be malware.
      With what browsers?
      Do you have extensions or plugins disabled?

I would start by disabling all extensions.
      Also look for any unknown installed software.
      Run a malware scan.
      Restart your computer.
      Try a different web browser.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Diag … r-problems

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

Been there, myself. There is no prison sentence long enough for malware writers...

3. psycheskinner profile image81

Yes, I think it is on my end.

4. Dale Hyde profile image86
    Dale Hydeposted 2 years ago

Wow, some folks are pretty bossy here to not even had a hub published, lol....and threatening... 

Amazing what I run into as I stumble around the forum threads!

1. 60

Ive been here almost as long as you Dale. Dont misinterpret my comments as threats. I really would report a link that could be malicious.
      I dont comment in forums on my other account and use this one for that purpose. I have never cared for the forums my self until recently. This is more or less an experiment on how participation in the forums affects a hub score. I will probably produce hubs on here at some point. That will probably lead to monetary gain, etc etc you have heard the lingo im sure.
      The Op, is wrong in one regard. A website can be programmed to download items that steel private info. They all look innocent. She demolished the link or a moderator did, I had to make it serious to protect people.

1. Dale Hyde profile image86
        Dale Hydeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the clarification.  You post sort of reached out and slapped at me as I read it. 

I may well, in the future, contribute new material here.  I had to back off for a while while Google was having digestion problems with HP or vice versa.  As it is now, I read the forums to learn more and keep up with changes on the site as they are made. smile

1. 60

Things are ok, I also was aiming at something with that. There are people in this world dumb enough to break into peoples accounts and post links like that. I had to ensure that was psycheskinner, the fact that she got snippy back with me in her unique way, tells me its her.  I have never known psycheskinner to not come back with a retort when someone gets sharp with her.  Sorry if my post seemed harsh, lol.

On another note, I stopped going to the forums about 3 months ago when I got tired of the monotony of the usual suspects arriving and posting the usual subjects over and over and over. My frustration grows in the fact that new users rarely ever hit that search bar for their questions. They ask the same things 40 times over and its not year to year. Its month to month anymore. I understand they are new users, and new users are our future but come on, the search bar is right at the top! I use it almost daily when I do research!  Oh, well you can lead a horse to the water trough, yada yada yada.
          Anyhoo, thank you for understanding dale, I will let you know if I ever produce hubs on this one.

1. Dale Hyde profile image86
            Dale Hydeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks...hope to see new material as always. smile

5. psycheskinner profile image81

FWIW is still get this redirect only ever from this forum--after running a full paid malware program.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

We have not had any other reports.
      I did just check and there is a an update available for Firefox, so you may want to upgrade, clear cache/cookies, and reboot.

What browser extensions, plugins, or other add-ins are you using?

working