Does anyone on here use Linkedin?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (26 posts)
  1. JessBraz profile image90
    JessBrazposted 10 years ago

Hello fellow hubbers!

I have the day off work today (hurray!!!) I've been up since the wee hours of the morning working on hubs and going through some of the technical stuff in my profile and account to make sure I'm using HP to maximum effectiveness (Just added that bingmaster web tools thingy to my profile..I did everything I needed to as far as Google goes a long time ago, but even though that bing webmaster field has been blank in my profile since the beginning it never occurred to me before to find out what it was! Laziness on my part, I suppose. )

I have a Google+ profile, as well as my pinterest accounts linked to my HP profile. (I've considered linking my Facebook, but to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about strangers lurking around my facebook. I keep my profile locked up pretty tight. I don't use it that often anyway, and I kind of want to keep it that way. It's mostly used for staying in touch with family that lives out of town.)

My question is; does anybody on here have a linkedin profile/account?
    I don't have one and when I checked out the official linkedin website, there's not really a whole lot of information.. To me, it kind of looks a bit like facebook for professionals (would that be an accurate assumption?) I'd appreciate anyone's feedback and/or advice about using LinkedIn. I'm not technically a "professional" writer (or professional anything for that matter) but as I grow my HP profile, I might want to try and expand into some semblance of a freelancing career down the road. (that's the dream, anyway) Would LinkedIn be a good way to go?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

1. xanderblu profile image60
      xanderbluposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'd say your assumption about it is correct. It is meant for professional networking. I don't really know much about it, but I do know it has pretty quietly become very popular. It ranks #6 on Alexa in America. If your unfamiliar with Alexa it is a site that ranks websites by popularity. #6 puts LinkedIn between Amazon and Wikipedia (and above Twitter). So, I'd say it is definitely a tool to look into.

Like any social media tool, however, it probably won't do much unless you put some effort into it. I think they recommend that you try and establish at least 50 connections. And for a freelance writer, I'd imagine that the more information you put to try and position yourself in a niche, the better. I don't think many recruiters will go to LinkedIn looking just for a freelance writer simply because there are probably bazillions of them. But an outdoor magazine looking for writers familiar with Canada...maybe.

If I were actively searching for a job, I'd definitely put more time into it. The site has a lot to offer. As an example, I just looked up nearby writing jobs, and looked up one that seemed promising and it actually shows the lady recruiting for it. You can then view her profile which gives a summary of what she is about, contact info, etc. That's extremely useful.

Something else I know you can do is you can see who has looked at your profile. So, say a recruiter did look at your profile but didn't contact you, that gives you an opportunity to then reach out to them.

One of the other components of LinkedIn is that you can list your skills and then other people can endorse you for that skill, so I I think it would be a good account to link with Hubpages. People who follow you here will be familiar with your writing and then might go to your LinkedIn profile and endorse you for your writing skills.

I'm pretty new to all this stuff as well, so just some thoughts.

2. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have a LinkedIn profile. I don't really use it much for networking the way it's set up to be used. I basically stumbled across it and thought "Why not?" I posted a short bio and my resume (more as an extension of my bio). I also posted the titles and descriptions of all of my self-published books. Call it shameless self-promotion, but it was free and I figured the more places people can find my information, the better chance I have of someone buying one of my books. Does it work? I really haven't noticed an big change in revenue, but I'll leave the information there.

2. spartucusjones profile image90
    spartucusjonesposted 10 years ago

I do have a LinkedIn profile under my real name and an unmasked photo (because me wearing a mask and $5 poncho does not really look professional). I decided to post a profile on the off chance it would help me pick up some extra work. I also joined a couple of content writing groups which occasionally have jobs posted, but unfortunately the jobs posted offer ridiculously low wages and are not worth my while. Those who I am connected with are primarily individuals that I already know, and if they are able to get me work they would be able to easily contact me outside of LinkedIn. So for the most part it really hasn't helped me. That being said, I still keep my profile posted on the off chance it might help generate future writing assignments.

JessBrazposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your input!  I'm still on the fence about it. For now i'm leaning more towards waiting until i have a bigger 'brand' so to speak

3. profile image0
    Danny Sayaposted 10 years ago

How exactly does the Bing Webmaster tools thing work? What did you enter for Company size?

JessBrazposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The company size thing really tripped me up. All i entered was "large". It accepted it. Lol. If anyone else has an idea what to put in there as well it would be appreciated

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Scroll down about half-way on this page and you'll see the information for Bing:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … ster-Tools

4. luciano63 profile image63
    luciano63posted 10 years ago

Hi,

I also have a Linkedin profile since 5 years and it works fine with me professionally is perfect! Because I write about design education I can publish my Hubs on Linkedin having a preatty good traffic coming in.. However Linkedin has to be handled with caution because it iis very Professional profile of social network and if you mess around people will not like too much. So, depending on your Professional profile, it could be interesting to have one!

Ciao!

luciano

5. JustSimple info profile image75
    JustSimple infoposted 10 years ago

I used it when I was in school.  I lost my job, and the worker retraining program I was in, said it was worth using, and I did locate my current employer via LinkedIN.    I don't use it daily, and I don't like having my information out there the way they have my history.  Nowadays its easy to steal someones identity, and picture if you have it up.

But it did its job for me.  I connected with others in my area, that were in the same situation and we helped each other out.

6. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

They ask your name and photo, past work experience, a summary, these are considered the basics. Then there are schools, interests, etc.
    People write articles but I believe that they are serious articles. You can ask one of two others on here - if they leave posts. I know that one of them seems to be doing well on there.

7. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I have a LinkedIn profile but I rarely even login to it anymore. Most of the people I'm "connected" to on it are already friends with me on Facebook so it seems pointless to interact with them on yet another platform.

I started the profile a couple of years ago when I was hoping to find a new job (not necessarily a writing job, but a new "day job').... nothing ever panned out from that, though, so eventually I stopped keeping up with it.

I know lots of folks use it daily to further their careers and claim it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, tho, so either I was doing LinkedIn wrong, or simply missing the point of it.

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

Like many have said, it's a "facebook" for professionals. It does send some views my way since I post links to articles there

9. Joe Cinocca profile image48
    Joe Cinoccaposted 10 years ago

I use it to promote articles, job hunt and network a bit.

10. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

I have a Linkedin profile that I do use for my hubs and I get a pretty good amount of traffic from there as well. It works well for me as I am a niche writer and all my hubs are on health and fitness. I'm pretty sure you can connect with some others that share your likes/opinions/etc. As you stated, it pretty much is a Facebook for professionals were you can network/connect with people with the same interest.

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I have a profile there, but I have only visited the site about twice in the last year.
    It really doesn't do anything for me or impress me.  All it does is send my a lot of annoying e-mail, "Your contact so-and-so added a new skill..." 
    I'm neither looking for a job, nor hiring people, so none of that matters to me.  Kind of a waste of time.  It's not a social network, by any means.
    I did join a few groups there, and for a short while, was active in the grammar forum, but gave it up...

12. Aneegma profile image70
    Aneegmaposted 10 years ago

I recently deleted my profile as it was really useless for me. All I got was loads of spam emails and bogus recruiters trying to scam me and an employer told me having an account on any social media outlet will hurt your job search.  I don't know why it's there. It's virtually rubbish and I would never recommend anyone to sign up.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can't even figure out how to delete my account over there!!

13. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 10 years ago

I have had a Linkedin account for quite a few years.  To me it has been totally useless.  I tried to work it into my IT work when I was doing that, my writing that I concentrate on, and connections to groups and people that supposedly shared interests.

What I did learn is that one can get a lot of spam off of that site.

I may well delete my account there before long. 

I am on Facebook, Pinterest, Google+, Google Authorship, Twitter and Instagram.  I use my Google+ profile information on all sites I am on including my own websites and blog as well.

On my blog I do not link to my Linkedin account.  I do link to my Facebook, Twitter, Google+, WitchVox, HP and my blog as well as my websites and my wife's websites.

14. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I have a Linked In account and I am like everyone else. I hardly use it. The account was started, because someone insisted to get anywhere with your writing you needed one. How it helps your articles is beyond me. Maybe it is a good link????

15. Melinda Longoria profile image65
    Melinda Longoriaposted 10 years ago

I have a Linkedin account and have used it for Masters courses, professionally, job searches, recommendations from colleagues, and also share my self-published articles on there. If you're looking for a full time traditional job it is very useful. A lot of employers want to see your Linkedin profile now.

16. teee2 profile image62
    teee2posted 9 years ago

I am a beginner at HP. I have published only four hubs. As you stated, the bing webmaster field of my HP profile is also blank and I do not know what to put there. I am sure someone is here who will tell me what to do. As for Linkedin, I have only heard of it but do not know how helpful it will be to me. I have  therefore found your post useful since I am learning a lot now.  I like to write even though I have a little problem with grammar. I therefore take my time to write so that I come out with a correct post if not perfect.

17. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I have a Linked in Profile and I enjoy the interaction very much. I find people make much more intelligent comments and the articles are worth reading. You can join groups and a very enlightening interaction of topics you are interested in. But as in any other social media, you get what you put in.

18. Sustainable Sue profile image95
    Sustainable Sueposted 9 years ago

I've had one for about five years now. First got it because others at my company had one and it seemed like a great way to network with water professionals. Then I joined some groups. But what's been most valuable is joining discussions. Not only are they often interesting, but when I share my experience, others in the discussion look up my profile. I gain the professional reputation I want.

I don't post all my hubs there, just the most professional ones. I also sometimes find links to articles I can use as resources for hubs, or that trigger ideas for one. And I could use my hubs to start my own discussions, although I haven't so far.

19. Sustainable Sue profile image95
    Sustainable Sueposted 9 years ago

BTW my LinkedIn profile is under my real name, Susette Horspool, not my pseudonyms, although I've listed them there.

20. Ken Bradford profile image60
    Ken Bradfordposted 9 years ago

LinkedIn is my "go to" social network.  It is the largest network for professionals and I enjoy the interaction with other professional writers and web designers.  It is like other social media sites, you only benefit from it when you become involved in it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)